Tis the season to be judged!

Iamwipedouttoo

I feel for you and I am sorry this happened to you. Keep your head up. You are doing the best you can.

Since our daughter has started acting out I've noticed everyone seems to have the answer for "the problem".

I am really struggling with taking the blame for all of my daughters poor choices. I don't know how to get over it (I am really trying) but it upsets me when people are judgemental especially when they don't have kids or do, but their kids are just babies or elementary aged.

Hang in there. This really, truly stinks.

Andy

I am so sorry! :( I go through similar with my in-laws. The worst was two years ago when my difficult child was falling into the very depth of his anxiety. We had no idea what was happening and the in-laws sent me messages that I was "babying" difficult child.

We went to a resturaunt that difficult child could not handle. The lights, noise, whatever - he just could not stay there. Before the food came, he asked to leave and went outside. My in-laws thought I should just let him go. I did not. Even not knowing about anxiety, I knew my child needed help. He could NOT be left alone. So, I went outside and brought him back into the lobby. We sat there while the rest of the family ate.

I know now what anxiety can do to a person. My difficult child was 11 years old and he was going through some very scary stuff.

You did the right thing in putting your child first. That is what it boils down to. Many people don't like it when mom's put their kids first. Everyone tells us we are suppose to but that is when it is convient for them - when their plans are not being interferred with.

Being scared in such a way by someone you don't know is terrible. Your difficult child couldn't process the meaning behind that "attack". Then the scary thought that this person had access to the neighborhood. I know how anxiety ridden kids can think. Just because it doesn't make sense to others, their fears are real to them.

You did the right thing! I also am impressed with how safe you made your difficult child feel that he wanted to return to the party. He was willing to trust YOU to do the right thing and wanted to try again. Another step forward for anxiety ridden kids. Some would have said to leave him at home after that but I really believe with kids with anxiety that they need to take themselves up on challenges when they feel up to them. (I didn't read all the responses so I apologize if I have disagreed with anyone - just my opinion - I will be happy to agree to disagree again if need be.)

I provided my difficult child with plenty of opportunities to overcome anxiety. I also knew at what level these opportunities were needed. Others don't see the baby steps our anxiety kids are taking. They don't see the successess but we do. We know that giving them too much will just put them back. We know the size steps they can handle. I provided him with what I knew he could handle and nothing more even though others thought I was pampering him too much.

My difficult child has come from not being able to leave my side two years ago to being dropped off by his uncle Friday night two blocks from a Timberwolves game to go get in line on his own in a chance to get the glasses available for the 1st 5,000 spectators. (He had been there Wed night for the first time and I was not happy to hear this had happened but was happy to hear that my difficult child succeeded in this) I hope your child has the same success mine has in overcoming anxiety.

BusynMember

I think you did the right thing.

I would not keep my kids anyplace where the adults were getting drunk and obnoxious anyway. I feel that's inappropriate on THEIR part. We just don't go to places where adults act that way. I probably would have told a white lie and said somebody didn't feel well and have gone home.

You'll learn not to care what others think. :D

Last edited:

serenityprayer

Thanks everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

I agree with you all....I wish judgemental tendencies did not exist but they do so I will learn with the rhino skin and no dust! Yes I am going to have to learn not to care what others think!!!! I am getting so much better, but I think husband's behavior threw me over the edge, LOL! I need to do some research on bi-polar adult behavior. I am educated in difficult child's bipolar, but not in husband. If husband goes to the p-doctor, I am going to have to try and understand, although I will not be able to accept a future with that type of behavior. Hopefully he will start taking medications and it will help...if not I have no choice. He simply can not live a bachelors life anymore while married to me. Ive made the poor choices to allow it for 13 years and I have chosen to stop.

As for difficult child...he was getting a bit manic the last 2 days of vacation, so I am hoping it will not continue this week. If it does, i will be calling his doctor to adjust medication, etc.

Thanks so much to each and every one of you. Your words are peace to my soul and help for my heart.

God bless you all

Marguerite

I could be wrong, but surely even with adult bipolar, it should be possible to still insist on loyalty to one's partner? I'm not talking about sexual infidelity (or not), I'm talking about real support and faithfulness to the entire family's development.

A bloke doesn't have to have a diagnosis of BiPolar (BP), to be disloyal the way (we suspect) your husband was disloyal.

What I'm saying - I tihnk it's a bloke thing, not a bipolar thing.

But those of you with experience here - tell me if I've got it wrong.

Marg

BusynMember

Well, I sort of disagree and then again I agree, Marg.

Nobody with bipolar should drink. It is not their choice to have bipolar disorder and it's not a fun disease, BUT one chooses to or not to take good care of himself. Any sort of recreational drug use, and alcohol is a depressant drug, is very harmful to anyone with bipolar. Others can drink responsibly (some). Bipolars will be hurting themselves and their loved ones if they drink. So THAT is his responsibility...to quit and to take his medications while he is free of alcohol. I can't see medications working if he is drinking. While bipolar can make somebody WANT to drink, they shouldn't. (I never had the urge because I knew better than to even start drinking).

As for being faithful and loving and kind while either in a manic high or a funk, that is harder. Mania often causes something close to psychosis or even psychosis. Depression just can make you so sad all you do is sleep. Until the bipolar is controlled, one can not be a good, loving spouse. And in mania, there will be the desire to party and drink and cheat. Mania is harder on the family than depression, although neither are fun.

If hub refuses to stop drinking and get help and comply...at least TRY to get stable...then I feel this poster and anyone else has every right to leave.

Anyhooooooooooooooo jmo...worthless .02 ;)