to push or not to push...

Ktllc

That is the question!
V is in in preschool within Head Start. Last August, he did not qualify for an IEP. According to school evaluation, he did not have 30% delay in one area or 25% in two areas. He seemed to be about 6months behind in most areas, but just not enough.
They also said to call them if we end up with an Asperger's diagnosis.
Well, we now have an sensory processing disorder (SPD) diagnosis. And since there is an other preschool class in the elementary school with a highly qualified teacher (perschool, KG and Special Education credentials), i called the Special Education director on Monday.
She did not call me back and probably won't.
In the mean time, my feeling about V's current pre'k teacher was confirmed today: never read V's Occupational Therapist (OT) evaluation, still did not know that the onference she attending tomorrow is about sensory processing disorder (SPD) (I'm going as well!) and to top it off:
I asked her if she read "the out of sync child" from Carol Kranowitz who will be talking at the conference tomorrow, she replied that she just don't have time... I said that I just finished it and hopefully that will help with the conference tomorrow (I'm smilling being very light about it). She then replies that I have more time on my hands than she does!:twister2:What???? I stopped smiling and just replied that I work as well. He answer was "oh..."
What the H...??? I have 3 kids including a special need one, a business to run and a husband on the road. But yeah, I have plenty of time!!!! GRRRR.
I just finished the conversation with a big smile and said that I read it because I have a strong interest about it since my son is affected.
So, yeah, nothing to hope from that teacher.... she is clueless about V's issue and will not take the time/effort to learn.
Now, should I be pushy and try to obtain an IEP for V so he can join the specail ed pre'k class and potentially make an ennemy of the Special Education director?
OR just let it go for this year and arm myself for Kindergarten next year (that would mean launching the process in March and retest and all the good stuff)???
FYI: V is on a shorter day schedule right now because he could not handle a whole day. Since that, he tells me he likes school and does have tantrums in the morning or before going to bed (he was that upset about going to school).

buddy

If you get it now it can offer you free ESY (extended school year) which means their goals can be worked on thru the summer (I have had it many ways, people coming to our home, his joining a summer school program (for free) etc.)

MHO, it is so early still in the year, I would get all my ducks in a row so you can pick the most appropriate K placement. It may not result in as many changes now but to waste what will likely be months doing it in K when V is starting such a wonderful time... even if sp ed. director is ugly she needs to follow the law and be a professional.

With all your concerns, I would personally never want to look back and think I had missed an opportunity. But you know your V and if it is really that big of a deal to get things going now. Really blows that you have to fight like this. Should be that your only concern is WHICH of the several options they offer, to choose. Pipe dream of mine, smile.

Ktllc

Well, well. Special Education director returned my call (yoohoo).
Same speech, she completly understands my position but cannot do anything since the evaluation did not reveal any significant dealy and it does not affect his learning.
What??? He is on a shorter day because he can't handle a full day. That has to affect his learning, right? She asked who suggested that. The behavioral therapist that follows V (God forbid it would be my idea!).
I also explained that the Occupational Therapist (OT) found that all of his senses are affected. That has to affect his learning, right??
She was surprise because the school Occupational Therapist (OT) did not see any red flags. But then, she goes "oh... we do not do too many sensory stuff though" (meaning did not test that area at all!).
I also explained that their evaluation did not involve V being in a classroom with 17 other 4 year olds. V was taken out of context.
She decided to schedule some observation time and I should call back in 2 weeks to check on those.
For some reason, I don't believe anything is going to happen. I tried to explain that kids don't simply overcome sensory processing disorder (SPD). Things only get worst if the right structure is not put in place.
I stayed real polite and cooperative. But that is sooo frustrating. I voiced that it did not make any sense to me to wait until V collapse, which by the way he did already and we had to shorten the school day.
All she could really tell me is that she has to folow the guidelines and retesting will not happen until March (6 months after the first evaluation).
Is there anything else I should be doing?

buddy

I wonder what the time frame is to request an independent re-evaluation @ district expense?

I am adding to my post here....I was just thinking back when...and to be honest, our private therapies were more important during that time frame for me. Yes, preschool ecse was great, but the private Occupational Therapist (OT) was especially good (sp/lang and bio feedback and attachment therapy were all good too but Occupational Therapist (OT) was a biggie) Will they use things like weighted lap pads, do sensory diet and/or breaks in the program he is in if they are recommended?

Last edited:

Ktllc

Right now, the school V is in does not seem to give me much feedback... I try to engage in good communication but all I get is "he's doing fine". Not really helpful, specially when V used to tell me it was not fine.
Now, with shorter days, he tells me he likes school and has started to communicate with the other kids.
But then, I ask about circle time and he tells how loud the other kids are, he can't hear, he really doesn't like doing circle time. He tells me he can't talk when the teacher points at stuff. I know it is about letters, numbers, calendar, etc... But V keeps on calling it "art". I don't believe he has a clue of what is going on.
I just feel really lost and frustrated. I am just so tired of having to convince everyone. V looks so "normal" and it seems like they (school staff of any sort) just does not care about taking a second look at things.
I just wished there were a school specialized in sensory processing disorder (SPD) out there... A setting that would understand his needs (educational and special needs). He could blossom in the right setting, I know that much.

InsaneCdn

The system doesn't tend to catch a lot of this stuff, young.
The earlier the intervention, the higher the success levels... but nobody goes looking until the problem is obvious, and therefore obviously more difficult to fix.

<ggghhaaaaahhh>