To Read or Not To Read ........

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I got a Kindle 2 e-reader a few months ago. It's put out by Amazon.

Not only does Amazon have a huge number of free/inexpensive titles that you can download directly to the Kindle via WhisperNet (no computer required), but there are literally MILLIONS of free titles available via the Internet.

Those files would need to be downloaded to the computer and then transferred over to the Kindle via (special purpose) USB cable. The USB cable comes with the Kindle as it also serves as a charging cable. A charge last a LONG time on the Kindle so long as you don't have WhisperNet active.

Kindles can hold up to 1500 titles at a time. I am a voracious reader and the Kindle gives me access to all sorts of books I can't find elsewhere or that went out of print ages ago.

Plus, I don't have the space for 'paper' books

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Each kid learns so differently. Since my injury I learn in a very different way than I used to ... and I listen to books off my PDA versus read. I cannot comprehend what I read ~ I need to be read to.

Andy, I hope this all gets sorted out.

WSM

This worked for me. I had one with mild dislexia and then difficult child who hated reading so much he would cry.

They went to bed early (7:30 ish) and then were allowed to stay up in bed reading as long as they wanted. If they wanted to read until midnight they could (even on a school night--they'd fall asleep early the next night).

Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings made avid readers out of my kids too.

M

ML

Interesting about the reading captions Susie. I would count that as manster's 20 minutes lol. I would turn off the tv and say "go". Maybe that helped in retrospect :)