Today, he throws a chair...

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Beginning to think this is the straterra, but can't really prove it yet, either.

Was put in time out in school today for something relatively small, continued to escalate the situation by making constant loud noises while the teacher tried to read, then bumped it up to all out screaming, then when he was corrected (or attempted) for that, threw a chair across the room.

Sigh...

Had to go to a lady's house after work to pick something up, about 15 miles each way, he made non-stop noise the whole way, mostly jibberish, or short phrases, over and over and over and over, and mostly VERY loud. Lots of reference to guns and violence (either shooting me or himself or other cars on the road).

I'm tired.

klmno

Something doesn't sound right and it might not be good to let it go on. Can you call or somehow call the psychiatrist tomorrow?

Sara PA

3. You Should Watch for Certain Signs If Your Child is Taking STRATTERA

Contact your child's healthcare provider right away if your child exhibits any of the following signs for the first time, or if they seem worse, or worry you, your child, or your child's teacher:

Thoughts about suicide or dying

Attempts to commit suicide

New or worse depression

New or worse anxiety

Feeling very agitated or restless

Panic attacks

Difficulty sleeping (insomnia)

New or worse irritability

Acting aggressive, being angry, or violent

Acting on dangerous impulses

An extreme increase in activity and talking

Other unusual changes in behavior

You're watching. You noticed many of these symptoms. You contacted your healthcare provider right away.

I hope you don't get the old "It's not the Strattera" routine.

Steely

Me too.

You know I remember distinctly when my difficult child was on Strattera and he had the concentration to draw this unbelievable picture. It was breathtaking. Yet the next moment his behaviors deteriorated to suicidal ideations and violence.

As parents we cannot accept the good if it is marred by their unhappiness. Their overall well being is what is most important here. Even if it helps them concentrate, their unhappiness is the most important piece of this.

Christy

Yep, that sounds like our straterra experience. Much better at doing school work but becoming instantly upset. Throwing chair, breaking things, hitting, and threatening.

Our psychiatrist and the psychiatrist and the psychiatric hospital agreed to stop straterra but both made the comment that they weren't really sure if it contributed to the instability????????????? Why is it so hard for psychiatrists to believe this?

TerryJ2

Shari, I'd be tired, too. Is he in bed yet?
I'm glad others here have experience with-Strattera.
This is a great group.

Andy

On your next e-mail, specifically ask a question that psychiatrist has to answer. I wonder if these are being read as you send them or filed into a chart until you come in? Do you ever hear anything back?

"Since starting Stattera, my child's behavior has gotten worse. I don't think it is coinsidence. What do you know about this? I would like to address this today - I don't feel comfortable waiting until ou next appointment."

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
She has replied a couple of times with simple statements like "interesting", and yesterday, I was later getting an email to her, and she emailed asking how Monday had gone.

He did get up easier this morning, but also went back to bed shortly, complaining of being too tired. But he wasn't a bear to get up and around like the last couple mornings.

I kept him busy last night so we weren't home to get in trouble so much. But when we were home, he repeatedly put a ball between the 2 dogs who are aggressive with their toys. Luckily, there was no dog fight, but this is crazy. If he's home and there's anything present to instigate, he'll do it. I'm so not looking forward to this weekend, when we have easy child 2, her friend, and his cousin all present...