Today is my son's 4 year sobriety date

Ephchap

For the old-timers that remember my story and the very dark days when my young teen was drugging and running away, be arrested for a felony, then went to a dual-diagnostic residential facility for 10 months and has stayed off street drugs, only to then struggle with alcohol ... I'm thrilled to be able to say that today is my son's 4th year anniversary of being sober. It's still one day at a time and probably always will be, but I'm soooo very proud of him.

Of course, we wouldn't want my life to be totally boring and without stress. lol. My only living brother (I've lost both my older brothers) has been struggling with alcohol as well. Of course, as is typical, even though he's a successful businessman, thought he had it all under control. Wrong. We talked early this morning and asked for help. I gave him the number to a rehab hospital and a number to the closest Alano Club to him (an AA social type of club). He has put in a call to the rehab hospital, asking for detox and inpatient. The merry go round just never ends, it seems.

Deb

DammitJanet

Thrilled about your son. Good for him! Yeah I do remember those dark days. It is so hard to believe he is 29 now. I remember him when he was young but then look at my kids ages...lol.

So sorry about your brother but I am glad he called you. I hope everything works out easily for him.

Nancy

Wow Deb 4 years, that's wonderful. I hope he gets a lot of affirmation at his meeting. He truly is an inspiration and has a story to tell to help others through their struggle. I hope your brother gets the help he needs. If anyone thinks addiction does not have a genetic component you can tell them otherwise.

Congratulations to your son.

DDD

It's a wonderful anniversary. What a surprise that your brother has reached out for help, too. Maybe 2014 is going to be THE year for your family. Fingers crossed and best wishes sent. DDD

Ephchap

Thanks, ladies. Yes, I'm very proud of him. My brother did reach out to my son a few months back, but I think he (my brother) didn't hear what he wanted to hear - i.e., no more drinking, EVER. My son told me after talking with him that his uncle wasn't ready. He said he didn't fully accept that he couldn't have a drink now and then, but hopefully in time, he would. Something so wise from my difficult child. Who would have thought? Just made my heart melt that he had grown and matured so much.

Janet, it does seem hard to believe how fast time flies. Our kids were in the thick of things back when we landed here all those years ago. I couldn't relive them again, that's for sure.
Nancy, definitely hereditary. My one brother died when he was young, nothing to do with alcohol, but as you know, my oldest brother was an alcoholic. Addictive genes, unfortunately.
DDD, yes, I'm glad he reached out. With my mom and oldest brother passing away this past year, he and I are all that's left of my family of 6. :( I told him we are orphans, but at least we have each other, and he dang well better start taking care of himself. ;)

Deb

lovemysons

Deb,
Another here that is so very proud of your son. Am hoping your brother will get the help he needs as well.

Love and hugs to you,
LMS

wg67

So happy to hear about your son gives me hope for my daughter. Its so good to hear your brother reached out to you. Hugs and prayers for youband your family

Kathy813

Staff member
Deb, that is wonderful news about your son. It always gives the rest of us hope to hear about success stories.

~Kathy