Today, my chickie, she is a HEN!

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by gcvmom, Mar 16, 2009.

1. gcvmom

gcvmom Here we go again!

Well, it COULD have happened yesterday... or the day before. Because you know how men are about checking for things like this... and since it was just the three guys here this weekend while easy child and I were gone, there's no telling when it happened...

But it DID finally happen.

And it was either Torchic or Butterscotch, because it is brown:

THE FIRST EGG!

:bigsmile:

2. DammitJanet

DammitJanet Well-Known Member Staff Member

LOL....congrats!

3. KTMom91

KTMom91 Well-Known Member

Congratulations!

4. totoro

totoro Mom? What's a GFG?

It's kind of like your a Grandma!!! Well to an egg. LOL
    Congratulations!

5. Star*

Star* call 911........call 911

eggceptional!!!!!!!

6. Marcie Mac

Marcie Mac Just Plain Ole Tired

So when can I expect an invite for breakfast ???

Marcie

7. mstang67chic

mstang67chic Going Green

Woo hoo!!! My mom loved the eggs they got from their chicks.

At least until Dad started feeding them chicken flavored cat food.

8. DammitJanet

Are we setting them or eating them?

9. katya02

katya02 Solace

EGGCELLENT!! :biggrin:

10. GoingNorth

GoingNorth Crazy Cat Lady

Janet; I don't think GVC has a rooster, so setting them isn't a real option.

I guess if she's going to go for the ol' egg every day routine, she'll have to keep gathering them up so her hen(s) don't go all broody and quit laying once they decide they've got a proper clutch to incubate

11. Wiped Out

Wiped Out Well-Known Member Staff Member

Congrats!!!

12. crazymama30

crazymama30 Active Member

Yayy. Everything grows up. Even the chickens.

13. Marguerite

Marguerite Active Member

Make sure you collect all the eggs as they are laid, and date them (use a pencil) as you bring them inside. I keep an egg carton on my kitchen bench, for storing our eggs (not that we get many these days - geriatric chooks!).

If you put them in the fridge, DON'T put eggs on the door because every time the door is opened & closed, it jostles the eggs and prematurely breaks down the structure of the egg white.

Fresh eggs - don't boil them and expect to be able to shell them neatly. They need to be at least a week old before a boiled egg will peel neatly. But a really fresh egg poaches or fries brilliantly. And you can always eat it out of the shell, boiled.

You got your first egg because your chickie is old enough, plus the sunlight hours are now sufficient. Be prepared for more to come, and find some good recipes using eggs!

Marg

14. Hound dog

Hound dog Nana's are Beautiful

Congrats!!! :D

*sniff* seems like just yesterday they were chicks themselves.

15. tiredmommy

tiredmommy Site Moderator

You better tell those other little chickies to get cracking... one egg is not enough for an omelet!!!

16. DammitJanet

What? No rooster? Quick...send me your addy...I will ship you one!

17. gcvmom

gcvmom Here we go again!

Thank you all for the well wishes -- we will soon be eat lots of eggcellent dishes! And just in time for Easter!

Nope, no roosters here, THANK YOU VERY MUCH JANET I WILL PASS on your generous offer... :D

Marg, thanks for all your chicken and egg tips -- you schooled me well when we had Herbert! I just finished a carton of eggs last week and am kicking myself for tossing the egg crate box in the recycling :( I'll check with my neighbors and see if they'll save me theirs (in exchange for a few eggs once they've accumulated).

Marcie, I'll keep you posted when I have enough to make a meal! Like TM said, one just ain't cuttin' it. And since this was her first, it's a bit on the smallish side -- more like a large apricot. They'll get bigger as she gets a bit older.

'Stang, I can't believe your dad fed them cat food!!! But then, I found out husband fed them Italian sausage while I was gone, so maybe it's a man-thing? (Apparently they liked it).

18. mrscatinthehat

mrscatinthehat Seussical

wow....its an egg. they grow up so fast.

beth

19. Star*

Star* call 911........call 911

Which came first? :tongue:

20. TerryJ2

TerryJ2 Well-Known Member

Aw, just in time for Easter!