Today, my chickie, she is a HEN!

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Well, it COULD have happened yesterday... or the day before. Because you know how men are about checking for things like this... and since it was just the three guys here this weekend while easy child and I were gone, there's no telling when it happened...

But it DID finally happen.

And it was either Torchic or Butterscotch, because it is brown:

THE FIRST EGG!

:bigsmile:

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Janet; I don't think GVC has a rooster, so setting them isn't a real option.

I guess if she's going to go for the ol' egg every day routine, she'll have to keep gathering them up so her hen(s) don't go all broody and quit laying once they decide they've got a proper clutch to incubate

Marguerite

Make sure you collect all the eggs as they are laid, and date them (use a pencil) as you bring them inside. I keep an egg carton on my kitchen bench, for storing our eggs (not that we get many these days - geriatric chooks!).

If you put them in the fridge, DON'T put eggs on the door because every time the door is opened & closed, it jostles the eggs and prematurely breaks down the structure of the egg white.

Fresh eggs - don't boil them and expect to be able to shell them neatly. They need to be at least a week old before a boiled egg will peel neatly. But a really fresh egg poaches or fries brilliantly. And you can always eat it out of the shell, boiled.

You got your first egg because your chickie is old enough, plus the sunlight hours are now sufficient. Be prepared for more to come, and find some good recipes using eggs!

Marg

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Thank you all for the well wishes -- we will soon be eat lots of eggcellent dishes! And just in time for Easter!

Nope, no roosters here, THANK YOU VERY MUCH JANET I WILL PASS on your generous offer... :D

Marg, thanks for all your chicken and egg tips -- you schooled me well when we had Herbert! I just finished a carton of eggs last week and am kicking myself for tossing the egg crate box in the recycling :( I'll check with my neighbors and see if they'll save me theirs (in exchange for a few eggs once they've accumulated).

Marcie, I'll keep you posted when I have enough to make a meal! Like TM said, one just ain't cuttin' it. And since this was her first, it's a bit on the smallish side -- more like a large apricot. They'll get bigger as she gets a bit older.

'Stang, I can't believe your dad fed them cat food!!! But then, I found out husband fed them Italian sausage while I was gone, so maybe it's a man-thing? (Apparently they liked it).