Today. Well, this whole week.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Today, difficult child claims he didn't get to play long after lunch. Therefore, when the whistle blew to go inside, he didn't want to go. He ran from the para and threw rocks in objection. The para and recess aid got him inside, but not calm. He hit the door to the SpEd room several times, and they stuck him in the "safe room".

Their report doesn't say anything about the work he was supposed to do after lunch, but he says he was supposed to do book on tape and he hates it.

He spent 40 minutes in the safe room, yelling, spitting, kicking, screaming, and making threats. When I got there and got him out, I just took him home. There was hardly any specials time left.

This whole week has been like this. Today almost seems like he was being a turn on purpose, but not being there, I'm not sure, and it was so-so para on the playground, and I have no faith in her ability to de-escalate him. Is he pushing her buttons just cause he can now? Or did they tell him he had to do book on tape? Why the heck can't my kid exist without being stuck in a supply closet???

I was supposed to go to KC tomorrow for meetings at work.

The school requested an IEP meeting with difficult child's docs. One of those is scheduled for tomorrow at noon, but I don't think they're going to have it. To be honest, anxiety with all this is eating me alive, and 14 hours on the road is not sounding even remotely appealing.

13 days of school left. Except then, I have no faith in my summer care plans, either, so I don't know why I'm looking forward to school being out...summer care isn't required by law to keep him..:whiteflag:

Oh, and I have a flat tire.

Sorry for the whine. I've just had it.

Last edited:

Leigh

Sorry you had such a bad day. I can relate but on a smaller scale. I got a note the other day from my son's teacher saying he had a bad day and a hard time focusing and following directions. When I asked my son what happened he answered I just had a bad day, sometiimes I just have a bad day. We as parents and teachers have to remember that they are just little people that are allowed to have bad days just like everyone else.

I get fustrated when I read your threads because some of the teachers should not be there. Your child is allowed to be mad that he wants more time outside, they have to learn on how to deal with him when he starts having a melt down. I am sorry but the safe room is not it. I am not sure what they are trying to teach them, or how it is helpful. I am the regional director for 5 daycares and I have had teachers in the past that make the children more mad by saying things that will add to the situation not help.

Keep your head up. I hope that next week is better, maybe that soso para will decide that he needs to find a new career maybe one that he is good at.

Tanya:tongue:

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
You get to whine.
You have been more than patient with everything. Nothing has gotten any better and you are still plugging along. I truly admire what you have "nicely" done to try and work with this School.

I really hope something finally works for your kid!
by the way: Did anything come of his Depakote levels, or did they change his levels?

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
We're decreasing he dosage back to what it was in January 08. Complete grasp at straws, but hey, what else do we have?

I'm done "playing nice", but fact is, they don't have a clue what to do with him. They HAVE to learn, but that doesn't mean there's someone in the phonebook to call in and teach them.

Its very frustrating. I'm thinking more and more of seeing about getting hired on as his para.

DammitJanet

Ok....some of this is difficult child behavior, some of it is little boy behavior and some of it is well...triggered behavior....in my opinion.

I think this started out as typical little boy not wanting to leave recess. Most dont. The difficult child part was him getting rowdy and throwing rocks. Now we dont know how rowdy he got with the rock throwing. Was it your typical gravel on the ground being picked up and tossed around while saying "I dont wanna go into no stinkin classroom!" Or was he picking up big boulders and throwing them at people? Big big difference!

Safe room was stupid for this.

and what is the deal with books on tape? If he hates them so much...will he sit and let someone just read the book to him?

Wiped Out

Staff member
Oh you so deserve a break and so does your little difficult child. It seems to me they are excessively using that room. (((hugs)))