Marguerite

My nephew went cage diving over Christmas. Not sure where, it had to be within coo-ee of Sydney. Rock pools are good marine biology for landlubbers. It's the scientist gene, I think, that has these kids arguing "If X, then Y..." so much.

Marg

H

HaoZi

She's scared of getting bit by something, that's the whole stay in the boat deal. And she can't really swim yet. I think her traits would make her a wonderful research/observation scientist, but a poor theoretical one. At least right now.

Marguerite

Get her to learn to draw scientifically. It's different, no shading or anything. Just the lines. There are some tricks to help, such as projection using a microscope-mirror layout, it projects the microscope image onto a page periscope-style. You can rig something up yourself. Or she can look down the microscope with both eyes open, and use the eye on the page to draw lines to try to match what she sees down the lens.

Pond water is good for her to look at. All sorts of great kid projects.

Giving them something to focus on that they can own, that they like, can get them out of your hair as well as help them feel good about themselves and their ability.

Marg

Jena

i'm reading thru your entire thread. when do they do the actual testing.......? it all sounds soooo confusing i can imagine how you feel. lol sheesh pd, aspie, aspergers don't you just wanna scream!???? :)

i remember my beginning i wanted to beat someone. so hows' the medication thing going now?? i am reading this and knowing i'll be the one posting this stuff in about two mos. 11 p.m. to sleep isnt' bad. i know it isn't 9 yet it's doable

H

HaoZi

Marg, she can draw what she sees pretty well already (might take her a few times to get it right but she'll repeat it until she's happy with the result), and she enjoys doing various shading patterns, lol. I don't think she'd be willing to stick with just lines, she likes to fill in the details.

She was complaining about foot pains yesterday, and from checking it out both of the new medications can cause it. Intuniv lists the tingling as an allergic reaction and the Topamax just kind of lists it as something that happen and implies that it will go away. Not sure what to think on that. She said it wasn't too bad and she could live with it at that level, it was brief and not severe, but it makes me edgy. I'm going to skip giving her the Intuniv today and if she doesn't have it again I guess that's the cause.

Jena, I have no clue. New psychiatrist said they'll call the psychologist about testing but it might take a week before I hear from them. When I take her to her therapist Thurs I'll try to remember asking about the neurologist they refer out to for testing, too. Of course after my sit-down with SpEd last week to do a questionnaire on kiddo I wouldn't be surprised if they do flag her for further Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD)/Learning Disability (LD) testing. However their resources for it are low and I had told them I was taking her to a neuropysch and expected the testing to be done there. So I guess I'll just ask everyone who could possibly do it to see about getting something scheduled and whoever does it does it. I don't know. *flails*