Today's incident. What would you have done?

In our SD, there is a specific program housed in an elementary school for ED and Autistic students. Those paras are highly trained, PMT, DTI, etc. We have a padded timeout room used as a last resort for truely unsafe behaviors. The program has 6-8 children per classroom each with a teacher and 2 paras. Highly structured BM program. When in the time out room our log is mostly about the antecedent behavior and the unsafe incident. That is the information that can be used to attempt to avoid a return to the TO. Of course we do note if there is any unsafe behaviors in the TO room, such as banging head into glass (a favorite) or using clothing for strangulation. Most often these students are seeking physical contact because when they continue to harm themselves, we must go to a physical restraint. Some of these kids know that they will not calm in the openness of the room, but need to have there environment restricted further by a floor management or security hold. As I said, these paras are well trained.

The elementary school paras have no training. No clue how to de-escalate, no training in do's and don'Tourette's Syndrome and even worse no idea which battles to pick. Most have not even seen the BMP or FBA of the students they are working with because the sped teacher wants complete control over information. It truly is sad that these women are so handicapped at their job.

There absolutely must be a standard of training. Unfortunately, with NCLB the SDs are concentrating what little training they offer through in services on the academic portion of their job, not the behavioral aspect.

SRL

Our elementary school houses the severe and profound kids, along with about half of the district's kids with Autism, etc. who needed dedicated classrooms (at least they did until this past year when it went to inclusion...which has opened up a whole new set of problems). Through the years that aide situation has always been the same: a number of aides that have been working there for years and have experience under their belt and a lot that cycle through working a year or two and then moving on (kids out of college, moms who want to work at the school because it fits their schedule, etc). I don't mean to defend what's going on with this para because aides of any age, background, and experience level are both good and bad but the turnover is a huge expense to the district. Ditto with bus drivers who cost about $1500 to train and turn over at a rate approaching 40%.

It's a big problem.

K

Kjs

I would tell school, I am sorry, I am taking difficult child home for the day and leave.

Marguerite

I'm still in shock. No training! None whatewver! And I thought things were bad here... at least the aides, and the class teacher, get access to some training and inservice, even if it's in situ and aqfter the child starts in their class. A couple of weeks might elapse while the system gets up to speed, and the training is often minimal and dependent on how much the staff actually take on board, it IS informal in that respect - but they DO get support for the staff, so they're not flying blind. And the aides DO get involved in the IEP, they are supposed to be present at the IEP meetings also. Although I did find I had to repeatedly request and insist, that difficult child 3's aide(s) (consecutive; he only ever had one at a time, part-time) be invited to participate in the IEP process.

Shari, that might be something for you to consider - you should be able to have input into who gets involved in the IEP. I was able to request that the Learning Team involve certain people (such as difficult child 3's Speech Pathologist, as well as the aide).

Another thought for you - we moved difficult child 3 from the local school (which was increasingly similar to your experiences in your son's current placement, except for us the problem was the teachers, some of them, whose attitudes had percolated through most of the staff; think 'pretty boy' in triplicate and with a lot more hands-on opportunity). I made enquiries at the highway school, talked to the prospective class teacher and also the principal, had good vibes (their attitude and sideways glances at each other as they read the Communication Book confirmed my suspicions that the local school simply were never gonig to get it right). Then the principal and class teacher asked me about the support funding difficult child 3 already had, and if I had any suggestions as to likely aides. At that time, difficult child 3's aide was a really good support for him. She had been his aide for a few years and they knew each other well, she worked with him well but had been hampered by needing to support the class teacher against me, when I was on the warpath. I had no knowledge of the aide's personal details other than her full name, and I'd seen her at her house (small village) so I knew where she lived. I didn't know the address, though.
So on the way home form that meeting, I took note of the street number and immediately rang the highway principal with that information plus her full name, followed by the request to please, discreetly if possible, 'poach' this wonderful aide from the local school.

And so it came to pass - the aide who would have been out of work when difficult child 3 transferred to the highway school, made the transition with him. It smoothed the transition for difficult child 3, made it much easier for the school to adapt. The problem with the move - the staff at the new school didn't know difficult child 3 at all, neither did the kids. The good things about the move - he was in a more supportive environment, where rules such as "no bullying" and a general air of supporting kids with disabilities, was high on the agenda. Having his wonderful aide with us gave this option the absolute best chance it could have.

We lasted one term, almost exactly. Possibly we could have forced through for another term, but we could see it was not working well enough. But it had shown us that the problems which remained were ones which could not be solved in the school system, they had to be dealt with by home schooling. Lucky for us we have a state-based correspondence school option, which is working brilliantly for us. Unfortunately this meant the aide was now permanently out of work as far as difficult child 3 was concerned, but she was now well-known to the highway school as well, so was able to get more work through them. And at least we'd given her one more term's work.

When I look back at what difficult child 3 & I endured, especiually difficult child 3, I get very angry. difficult child 3 himself is now starting to express his anger. I thought I had hidden a lot of my disapproval in my attempt to at least appear to be presenting a united front with the school; but I had been increasingly openly critical of some of their decisions and had learned to NOT carry over punishment for school events, to the home. difficult child 3's current position is one of increasing anger, as well as gratitude for all I did do for him. I feel guilty, I wish I had done more, and sooner. I know difficult child 1 wishes I had done more for him, but we simply didn't know as much back then.

Every so often difficult child 3 will say, "Why did my teachers never stop the bullies form hurting me, even after I told them what was happening?"
At first difficult child 3 was talking along the lines of, "What did I do wrong, that they did this to me?" but lately it has been morphing into, "How dare they do this to someone who is less able to fend for themselves? They had the responsibility to be looking after me and keeping me safe, and they failed miserably, and I'm very, very angry."

Although it distresses me to hear this from difficult child 3, part of me rejoices because it is in fact a very healthy response. He is entitled to feel angry and I'm glad he is expressing it. He will move past it and grow from it. He will also use it to help others, should the opportunity ever arise.

Shari, you've been sitting in on your son's classes and you've been trying to teach them how to best help your son. He is seeing this, he knows what you are doing for him. As he gets older he will begin to make even more sense of this and he WILL realise just how much you are fighting for him, to get him a fair deal.

Wherever you go from here, has to be an improvement. Whether it's staying put but with better information and closer scrutiny (and no so-so para!), or a change in school - you have a lot more to work with now.

Marg

SRL

Marg, the aides in our district do get some training and are required to attend teacher inservice days. Part of the problem is how to make inservice applicable to aides that are serving a wide variety of kids. Just think of the variety we have represented here.

I suspect the good aides aren't good because of training.

Fran

Former desparate mom
Shari, I think there are a couple of issues entwined.
I think the para isn't a so so para but one who thinks power and dominance is the way to treat children.
the second is the safe room being used. I think it is a safe way to protect a child from hurting himself or others. there has to be tools that staff can use that doesn't involve physical restraint and the safe room works. Using it for anything but raging or dangerous behavior is negating what it's purpose is meant to be. this is another sign of ignorance of the para and whoever is supervising your son's treatment plan.

the school work can not be accomplished when in an emotional meltdown but if the treatment plan is to make sure difficult child isn't using tantrums as a way to divert attention or avoid work then it's a ridiculous waste of energy and a negative influence on difficult child.

I believe that there is a written plan and if the para isn't using it appropriately then you need to talk to her supervisor.
I do think you have to ask if difficult child was trying to apologize as a way to distract everyone from the intensity of the situation or if he really cared about how you felt. It would seem very introspective for a young difficult child to worry about mom when in the middle of a melt down.

Is school using too much punishment? Is he in the best environment for him? School shouldn't be torture every day. I know it was for many days for my son. Again, if I knew then what I knew now, I would have done something different. I was concerned that he would not be able to keep up with his peers. In the end, he never did and never will so it was a wasted energy on my part. If I could do it again, I would look at what helps difficult child to function and skip the whole trying to fit the educational mold even if it's Special Education. It simply doesn't work for uniquely wired kids like ours. Let him get some emotional stability then work on academics.

It is incredibly painful as a parent to watch your child in such a vulnerable state being directed by someone who doesn't seem to have your son's best interest. It is an issue you need to take up with the team that is working with your son.

this is not a child who just needs more discipline. Anyone who thinks punishment is a cure for what ails him is a moron.

It doesn't mean he doesn't need limits and consequences but she was being a bully which is what people do when they are too stupid to learn a better way.

Hugs. I know you are trying to do the right thing for him and trying to work with the system. It seems we are damned if we do and damned if we don't.

Last edited:

Alttlgabby

I think she should have told your son that he could go and apologize and then after he was to come back and work. She should be working through trying to help him calm himself down. And I do agree about the room being used as punishment. What does your son say about the room? Have you asked him how he feels about having to use that room? I would think they would have a comforting place in the corner of the room that he can go to. Maybe a big bean bag or stuffed chair that he can crawl up in with something that is comforting for him.

Marguerite

Fraan, he may have been using apoogy as delfection, but even so - I would have allowed him to do it because I think it WAS appropriate, or at least closeenough to appropriate, for him to begin the calming down process by beginning to apologise.

As for her saying, "I'm the one you should be apologising to!" SHE needs to learn that a prompted apology is worth very little. Sounds like she has a great deal to learn in many areas, also sounds like she's not interested in learning because she already knows better than everyone else, including all the experts who have made recommendations she isn't following.

On the topic of aide training - when a kid here gets support funding, it is mostly used to pay for an aide who will work in that child's classroom to assist the teacher. Sometimes the aide works with the child, or sometimes the aide supervises the class while the teachewr works with the child. But whichever it is - that aide gets some training and involvment in THAT CHILD's IEP and general needs. If there are multiple difficult children in a class with multiple funding - then the aide is trained for all such kids she will be needed to work with. It's highly specific for us.

If a Special Education class is in place then there is a maximum of (I think) 8 kids per class, staffed by a minimum of one trained SpEd teacher and one trained aide. Their training will incorporate any disorders in their students and they also will be fully informed of each child's IEP, often actively involved in the Learning Team meetings and the IEP development.

The aides are NOT there purely for the student in question, they are there to assist the teacher. But they are trained to be capable of working with that child's special needs, specifically. If the child changes schools, the funding goes with the child, but in 6 month blocks.

Marg

artana

Shari,

That is really scary to me. No one is treating your difficult child as a person. The Special Education teachers and paras are supposed to be the ones who understand and try to figure out his moods and behaviors and how to prevent issues.

I rarely react to anything, but if I saw this, I might go up to my child, hug him and tell him that he was doing good by trying and that I did not know this is how they were treating him. Then I would make sure that the Principal new I was not happy with their use of the "safe room", which that child would never consider safe again.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I agree with all the good advice here... I'd have slapped the **** out of her. I don't think I'd have been calm.

Hugs, 'cause the only advice I've got, others have already said!

Leigh

It takes a special person to deal with children on a daily basis, it sounds to me that the person really does not like their job and need to find a new career. You can have the training, education and grades but it does not make them good teachers. Dealing with children with special needs takes alot more patience. This safe room is the worst idea I have ever heard of. There has to be other options for your son. Teacher's are there to help your child with self esteem, not stomp them into the ground.
I wish there was more that I could do to help you and your child. I hope that the school will take the time to do something about this and do what is right for the children(that is the point of being a teacher). If This person worked at one of my Daycare Centers they would be fired so fast they wouldn't know what hit them.

Good Luck, My thoughts are with you.
Be strong you are right and they are wrong!
Tanya