Tomorrow is the big day.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
The new para starts. She came to school today and had lunch and recess with Wee. Wee liked her. Sped teacher likes her. Grandma likes her. ANd she seems to like Wee.

Fingers crossed. No, everything crossed. She has no idea what is riding on her shoulders.

Jena

which might be better actually. she'll have no defenses up or pre concieved notions in her head. probably sounds crazy for me to say that, yet let's just see how someone brand new will get on with wee. i'm betting well. here is hoping!!

let us know i'd be curious to know how the first day goes. what did wee say about her anything?? besides saying he liked her.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I have no idea what her "skills" are, but my biggest concern is that the principal isn't real good at letting the sped teacher do what works...what chance does a brand new "$10 an hour employee" have at bucking what the big whigs say must take place? I'm just afraid even if she is capable of handling Wee, that they won't let her, or will just pound her full of it must be this way or that way.\

(ps - the superintedent referred to the paras as "$10 an hour employees" during our 9/24 meeting, as if that was an excuse for why they coudln't do a better job than they were...)

But we will see. Withholding judgement for now and simply praying. If this doesn't work, the ride gets real bumpy.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Shari ~ you'd be surprised at what some of these para's can handle & communicate with her superiors. Keeping all body parts crossed for a positive day.

H

HaoZi

Perhaps you need a sit-down with her, and get to know her well enough that she would feel comfortable letting you know if the school is putting pressure on her to handle Wee in a way that's detrimental to him?

Jena

yea dont' project what will happen. i know it's hard to stop yourself after the road you two have gone down. Yet dont' judge it yet, just wait and see what happens. you just never know.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I'm going to try to open that door with the sped teacher. I think the school has made an issue of Wee hiding under a table/chair as a coping mechanism. It doesn't happen often, but from the fba lady's additional email, she indicates that the district sees this as a problematic behavior. SpEd teacher has also indicated she allows the "denning" if he comes out calms and then gives her 45-50 minutes of good attentive time...the way she said it suggested someone had told her otherwise. So hopefully she'll let me know what's going on.

lmf64

good luck. When the district hired a female to handle my son last year I thought oh great here come criminal charges, but things couldn't be further from that. She is a lot like me. She can read him better than I can sometimes. She spent last year getting him ready for the working world and then went and got pregnant (dang her), this year he had her for about 6 weeks and now has a sub for the next 12 weeks. I miss Erin. She handled everything without involving me. The sub on the other hand has called me about how to handle situations 3 times in the last 2 weeks.

LittleDudesMom

Fingers crossed here Shari! Sad that my easy child makes more money an hour teaching swim lessons and water fitness classes than a para makes.......... Around here, a para or 1:1 is paid on a sliding scale depending upon training and the needs of a child they are assigned to. There is a big difference between an academic para, a health care para, and a crisis counselor insofar as training/education - they are not created equal. Additionally, they are not employees of the school system. Our school district has contracts with various companies that provide 1:1s and the company is paid and the company pays the 1:1. There is a hierarchy of checks and balances built it.

Hope this is a great day for Wee!

Sharon

B

Bunny

My fingers are crossed for you (so are my toes!!). I hope that the first day goes well and that this new para is just what Wee needs.

Pam

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I'm waiting for the update...will pass it on as soon as I hear....I assume no news is relatively ok news. Tho this is gonna have to be a "long haul" kinda thing....but its always nice when things start off good.