Too familiar! Seven year old with autism has charges pressed

buddy

Against him by the school teacher.

The admin should have declined the interview because it makes her look so ignorant.

http://www.wishtv.com//dpp/news/local/north_central/autistic-7-year-old-could-face-battery-charges1363359469532

InsaneCdn

How can a 7yo face charges anyway?
Here.... until age 12, it's assumed that there isn't an ability to form criminal intent.
And that's without any dxes.

susiestar

Roll With It
This is so, so wrong. the admin truly did show her ignorance in the interview. The school's refusal to identify the child as special needs is totally outrageous. And all too common. I hope the mom can get an advocate and someone who works with disability law to force the school to do what they need to.

Why do they write a behavior plan if they flat out refuse to follow it? Idiots.

I pray for the day when every child can be treated respectfully regardless of any problems and when the educational system actually does what it needs to and the children's needs are met rather than pushing the children into lashing outt because hey cannot cope any more.

Who picks up a child who is upset and on the floor and doesn't expect arms and legs to flail? If you don't want to be hit, don't touch the child until he calms down.

When did they start giving the vaccine for common sense? It sure seems this teacher got the vaccine.

BusynMember

This bugs the XXXXX out of me. Every teacher in the classroom in 2013 should know about autism and how to deal with an autistic meltdown. The teachers are the ones who should be disciplined or fired.

DammitJanet

This sort of thing worries me for when Mikey gets into school. I dont think he is autistic exactly but he has some type of issues because the boy doesnt want to leave the house at all. I do think that is somewhat a parenting issue because they have now used something else besides simply TV as a babysitter....its screens. He is absolutely addicted to any sort of electronic device that has apps. He has his own tablet and he will use any smartphone and now the Xbox. He gets lost in playing the devices and wont stop. He knows how to go to the Play Store and download anything. Thankfully they dont have a credit card attached to their tablets or phones or they would be screwed. My fear is someone might and he would get a hold of their phone. I wont let him touch my phone because mine asks if I want to bill it to my Sprint account. I mean a paid app asks me that. I would kill him.

But he also plays first person shooter games that I am sure are rated at least Teen. He says things like "I shoot Daddy" when he shoots the cop in front of the sheriff's dept. He can actually work the controller that well. I have to say he is that good at 3 and a half. He is works these things pretty well. Better than me. He can beat Angry Birds better than I can. However I worry about a toddler with Teen games because what happens when he gets into school with zero tolerance in place and he talks about shooting and guns. I see a knock at the door in the future.

buddy

That's sad Janet. by the way, i have an app lock on my phone. It gives an extra layer of permission before opening any apps I choose including app stores and my settings, etc. I paid for it because the ads on the free version take you to the app store! Lol

TerryJ2

Ack. You're right, all too common. This part will get the kid off: "Velasquez said Noah has a behavior plan that states when he's upset, he's not to be touched."
It will also induce the school to kick him out, because they clearly don't know what they're doing and don't want to deal with-it. I wonder where he's going to school in the meantime?