Too focused and the headache appointment

Andy

I picked up difficult child from school at 11:30 to get to our 1:30 appointment. (Could have left at 12:00 but with school getting out at 12:15 it would have been impossible to get out of the school jam in time - still didn't miss school because lunch is 11:30 - 12:00.).

difficult child said that the 5 mg of Adderall worked but thought it was too strong. So I called the psychiatrist staff and gave them the message. I said I would be in for a 3:00 appointment so if the nurse wanted to wait until I got there to get back to me that would be o.k.

Went to the neurologist. It has been determined that the headaches are related to the Methylin. difficult child says the "angel" sensation is more of sensing "white" or foggy? He says the color white reminds him of angels. Still not able to explain. Headache doctor did not understand. She questioned him about how you could "sense" white. Anyway, she said to let the medications settle down and notice the weekends and holidays when he is not on them if he is still getting the headaches. Thanksgiving will be a great time.

I am wondering if we should have started the Methylin at 10 mg for a day or so before bumping it up? Maybe it was too much too soon? I don't know - Anyway, on to the Adderall.

Psychiatrist's nurse visited with us. difficult child said it helped alot but made him too focused. The nurse asked me if that was such a thing. I replied, "I don't know, that is what difficult child feels." So we are going down to 2.5 mg of Adderall to try and can increase it if difficult child feels it needs to be.

The neuropsychologist testing resulted in a twist on ADHD. He is either super focused or not focused enough so the neuropsychologist doctor did warn us that it may be hard to find the combination. (that of course is in layman's terms so if I got it wrong please forgive me. It is the easiest way for me to understand and explain.)

So, 2.5 mg of Adderall and monitor headaches for times that it could not be the result of the ADHD medicaiton.

The psychologist appointment went very well. I am going to get a workbook that the doctor recommended for difficult child to start with. The doctor can help with it during our visits.

H

HaoZi

I might almost be inclined to associate the "angels" with the auras that some migraines have, the "sensing of white" ... does he mix metaphors a lot like gifted kids do? Does the direction he senses it in correspond to where his headache is or starts? If it's the first, I get it. I can't explain it, but I understand it.

Andy

HaoZi - I love those questions! I am at such a loss, gone as far as I can that these are exactly what I need to take the next step.

He says that "white" reminds him of angels so when he sees white, his first reaction is to look for or sense angels.

I think his auras are white. He is trying to put a concrete description to it so he pushed the meaning forward to "angels" thinking it would be easier to understand? The headache doctor asked, "what do you mean by white?" He could not answer. She didn't go further, just that she believes they are medication induced but to continue monitoring and bring back if we find evidence that it is outside of the medication.

I never thought to ask him about the direction of the "white" (aka "angels"). I am going to ask him about that and include it in my report back to her in a few weeks.

Thank you!