Too Much Information..

muttmeister

I guess I'm getting old and tired. All of these things have always bothered me and I used to argue and complain. Now, when if they ask my name, I give my mother's name: Genevieve. NObody these days can spell it or say it. If they ask me how to spell it I just tell them to sound it out. You want my phone number? I make up one. You want my zip code? I give them the one for one town over. You want my birth date? I make up one. You want my SSN? That one, I do tell them I don't give out that information and if that's not good enough I'll go elsewhere. I don't even give my cell number to most of my friends. Just because I'm too old to argue doesn't mean I'm going to cooperate.

donna723

I was recently asked for my SS# when I made an appointment with the eye doctor. I don't know how, but they used it to verify my insurance coverage with the State employees insurance carrier. They never asked for any other insurance information and the insurance did pay the bill, so that must have been what they used it for. I didn't like giving it though.

susiestar

Roll With It
I usually just say NO. If they push, I am willing to go elsewhere. I am also willing to comment LOUDLY on whatever strikes my fancy. Even RUDE comments. I rarely need to.

I do give out a phone #- the one I had as a child. I also give out whatever string of numbers crosses my fancy.

The exception to the phone # deal is ordering pizza. In our college town, the "pranks" played where the kids call in orders to lots of companies to deliver is a BIG problem. So if you want them to start cooking your pizza you must give a verifiable phone #. As I understand this, I am OK with it. But only when ordering from the mom & pop pizza place.

I also shop at a mom & pop liquor store. They have ID's me a few times, but never have asked any personal info. Not even of anyone else in line.

I refuse to give WM a drivers license. Period. I have not ever been asked for one for movies, or anything but cold medicine.

Even superglue and spray paint don't get my ID. They have had to call a manager, and the cashier assumed I would be chastised, but the manager told her to bypass it and not cause problems. I am surprised your WM cards for movies.

As far as the credit/debit card, my nose gets out of joint when they KNOW me and keep checking the ID. If they odn't know me, it is fine.

The way credit/debit cards are set up, the merchant cannot automatically ID every card use. They can ask if they are suspicious, if the card says ask for ID, or if it is a product with a high theft risk. I have quit going to a number of businesses, simply because they insist on ID with every non-cash purchase.

I am with all ofyou on the enough is enough position. I know hte marketing reasons behind it, but it is just marketing.

Vending machines were predicted to have readers for credit cards, and other cards. They don't, usually. The tech is there, but too expensive to pay for the info they get.

Susie

F

flutterbee

Checking your ID when you make a debit or credit card purchase is really for your security. I have no problem with that.

Walmart does ID for R rated movies and Mature rated games. I don't see a problem with that. My son plays rated M games, but if I didn't want him to I wouldn't want him to be able to buy one on his own.

I don't like giving out my phone number and if a clerk asks for one I just tell him/her that I have a private number. Which I do. It's unlisted. It's never been an issue. I don't make one up because then someone else is just going to get those phone calls and that's not right, either.

And if a company is willing to lose my business because I want to protect my privacy, then I don't want to give them my business anyway. There's always someone else peddling the product.

F

flutterbee

Skeeter -

I was looking this up for something else, but thought it might interest you:

http://www.bmv.ohio.gov/

NOTICE:
Effective November 19, 2007, individuals who are renewing a current Ohio driver license, Ohio commercial driver license (CDL), or Ohio identification (ID) card will no longer be required to present a Social Security card at an Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV) license agency for verification at the time of renewal.

An Ohio driver license, Ohio CDL, or Ohio ID card, which is current, or has been expired for less than six months, is acceptable without further proof of the applicant’s Social Security number if it has been previously verified in the BMV’s records.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Heather

That's good to know. Both husband and my license come up for renewal this year.

Couple of years ago husband got a wild hair and didn't want me "caring" for his ss card anymore. He hasn't been able to find it since he put it away. I'm fairly sure it's in the desk, but he doesn't really pay attention when he "looks" for something. And I'm such a *itch that I won't help him find it. (until it is a Have to situation) Funny, but I cared for it for 20 yrs and always knew exactly where it was. lol Oh, well.

I only get irritated with the asking for ID for things with a legal age limit when it is so obvious that I've long since past my 21st birthday that only a blind person would miss it. Now back in my early 30's it didn't bother me because I actually did look tons younger than I was. Teen years with 2 difficult children aged me quickly.:sheepish:

Marguerite

It's slightly different in Australia. Here, instead of every citizen having a Social Security number, we each have a tax file number (if we're over 15, or have managed to earn money professionally while younger - difficult child 3 got paid for being in "The Black Balloon" and because tax got withheld, the tax office allocated him a tax file number). We also each have a Medicare number, from the moment we're born. At first it's the family Medicare number, with the last number indicating our place in the family order, usually by age. As our kids have gotten older and more independent, they have applied for their own card (and hence their own Medicare numbers).

For us, the Medicare number is needed in order to claim part or all of a doctor's bill, back from the government health system.

The Medicare numbers are also used to track general health system usage including purchase of restricted pharmaceuticals. It's law to show the card to a pharmacist who requests it. Whenever we go to a pharmacist we've not been to before, we MUST show our Medicare card or we won't be sold any prescription medication. This also applies to the restricted OTC medications, such as pseudoephedrine and asthma medications (plus a few others which the government has flagged as needing a pharmacist's counselling).

Tax file numbers MUST be provided to employers who are withholding tax or you are taxed at the maximum rate of 45%. You can claim it back, but to do this you need to send in a tax return - with a tax file number. They're easy to get, though.

We have other numbers if we're in business - it relates to our GST (Goods and Services Tax) which has been a goldmine for our government. The GST is linked in to each of us individually by our Medicare numbers, our tax file numbers and our ABN if we have one (Australian Business Number).
The system is legislated and computerised so tightly that you can't easily rip off the system. It also means the government can track your income, your business and your health records.

Social security - that's another (less important) number. It relates to any government payment such as disability, youth allowance, unemployment, parenting payment, sickness benefit - you name it.

Some situations require ID - we have a points system. A passport is worth the maximum number of points. A birth certificate or drivers licence comes in second - our licenses are photo IDs. After that comes Medicare card, bank statements, credit cards/debit cards, and last (ironically) is ID cards (other than drivers licenses).

With all this, we don't get many shops asking for phone numbers, drivers licenses etc just for a purchase. An exception to this is buying a mobile phone on a pay per month plan. difficult child 1 didn't have a drivers licence when he bought his, so his mobile phone is in my name.

But yes, various shops keep asking for our postcode (equivalent to Zip code). It is optional, we can refuse. I usually do because for us, they will get no useful information from our postcode. While most postcodes cover a suburb or less, our small twin villages here have to share a postcode with the nearest town 'as the crow flies" which in our case is the other side of the bay. That's an hour's drive away. The nearest town by road has a very different postcode. So any marketing they might plan, based on the postcode we give them, will miss its mark.

If you want to experience Big Brother in action, move to Australia.

Marg

When I was about 22, I worked at a 7-11. One Halloween, some guy in a clown costume came in to buy beer. I could not tell how old the guy was, so I carded him.

He was 53 years old. He thanked me, leaned over the counter, and kissed me on the cheek, and said he had not been carded in 20 years.

Of course, this was more than 15 years ago, and these ridiculous laws were not in place yet.

mom23gsfg

here in the not so lovely virginia, last year they started giving evryone a driver's id instead of using your social security number, saying it was to help identity theft and protect privacy...... yeah sure. when i write a check, i have to put that id on there....and now loan companies can check your credit by that id.......also i went to get my daughter some allergy medicine and i had to put both down.....
so what was the reason for this new number?......just something else for my poor mind to remember?:highvoltage:
besides if anyone tried to steal my identity .....they would be the ones on the bad side of the deal....what, with my *ss of an ex that left me in such good standing with credit companies (sarcasm)...i would be the one laughing at them for being that stupid....but who knows ,....before i got my identity back maybe they would fix my lovely credit for me?so i could go and get myself something for once ....maybe id be able to get that new car ive always wanted?.....mmmmm anyone interested in having my identity?....and the first bid goes to......

K

Kjs

My debit card has our pictures on it. Our name is printed with the raised letters like the acct. number. I lost my card and went in to the bank. Ordered a new one. LOL...the new one came with MY name, but husband's picture.

I have people refuse the card. I tell them to look closer, my name is on it. When the receipt prints it will be my name. some still refuse. others ask for more ID.

Just to lazy to go to the bank. Then would be without a card for two weeks. new pin number. heck, I use his picture.

mom_in_training

I am with the rest of you. I will ask why any certain person(Retail) needs all of this personal info. Zip code? Don't mind that much but social, phone #s, No way. If I give any # at all I use the old # that I had years ago for a pager that I had. Geeze that was before the big cell phone hype, Lol!!! Someone had mentioned in this thread Spy Chips? I found this site a while back and think it will be very interesting to all of you. Its appalling to no end.

Total Surveillance: New consumer-tracking technology threatens to make personal privacy a thing of the past. (December 6, 2005)
"When I see RFID and I think about a world in which the powers that be—be they corporate or government—can essentially watch, surveil, track, manipulate, and control the people, that's what motivates me: a desire to see that not happen, to my generation, to my children, to my grandchildren." -Katherine Albrecht

http://www.spychips.com/

donna723

Jessica, I agree with you! Nobody would want to steal MY identity! If they did, the joke would really be on them! They'd probably give it right back and move on to someone more "prosperous".

In fact, it's so bad, I've been wondering if it's possible to voluntarily enter the Witness Protection Program! Sounds kinda good, doesn't it! You just enter the program, they give you a whole new identity, and you start all over again ... older but wiser! All I have to do now is "witness" something ...

mom23gsfg

Jessica, I agree with you! Nobody would want to steal MY identity! If they did, the joke would really be on them! They'd probably give it right back and move on to someone more "prosperous".

In fact, it's so bad, I've been wondering if it's possible to voluntarily enter the Witness Protection Program! Sounds kinda good, doesn't it! You just enter the program, they give you a whole new identity, and you start all over again ... older but wiser! All I have to do now is "witness" something ...

:rofl: :rofl:....... maybe we can :stalker: and get some :picture:

tinamarie1

If I had to guess why they ask for it with- the cigs and the r rated dvd...I would say someone has filed some big time lawsuit or just the bulk of lawsuit happy people have caused stores to go to this. Somewhere along the way some kid probably pulled some ridiculous stunt and the parents instead of putting the responsiblility on their kid or themselves blamed the gas station for selling the beer/ cigs, dirty magazines, etc. So the stores way of being accurate in those transactions is to have a record of the person asking you for the info: ie: scan your license, type in your date of birth. I agree, its crazy and i hate giving out my info. I wouldn't mind so much in the case of cigs, beer, whatever. But when I buy clothing or anything else, they sooo do not need my phone number. Hello...we know what they are going to do with that and if theres anything in this world that drives me batty...its telemarketers.

Marguerite

Geez, Marguerite, that's a tad confusing!!:angry-very:I can't remember those many numbers.

Abbey

That's why we carry our drivers licences and Medicare cards on us. Those numbers aren't secret. Our tax file numbers are only needed when we start a new job or send in our tax return.

We saw our system in action today.
difficult child 1 is on a disability pension (administered by Centrelink). When he got his job, he had to tell them as soon as possible (I think they give you two weeks). They then suspended his disability, but told him it could be reinstated any time over the next year if his income level dropped below a certain point, as long as he notified them within 7 days.
Then he lost his job. We notified them, the pension got reinstated. That was about a month ago.

Today he got a letter from Centrelink. "Dear sir, we notice that recently you signed an employees tax declaration [signed when you begin a new job, so they won't tax you at the maximum rate]. We need you to telephone us to give us the details of this because it could affect your pension. Failure to call us by --/--/-- will result in your pension being suspended."

What has happened - as happens routinely, the tax office have passed on to Centrelink the list of names of all people who have recently signed those forms. The Centrelink computer ran that list through its computers to see if any people on that list were also in receipt of a means-tested payment. difficult child 1 got flagged, so he's got the letter.

It will be easy to fix, just a phone call. difficult child 1 was complaining about it but I pointed out - he's currently unemployed, he has the time to make one phone call.

But it shows how Big Brother is making it a lot harder for people to rip off the system.

The other side of it - if he hadn't told them he was working, they would come after him for all the pension they've paid to him since he began the job. Any future wages could be garnisheed, if necessary. He could also have been taken to court, got a criminal record and had to pay a hefty fine.

Our taxation has become much simpler as a result of all this checking and cross-checking of computer records.

Now the tax form has only three sections:

1) How much did you earn last year?

2) How much do you have left?

3) Send it in.

Marg