Crystal72

Crystal...We wasted three years with a psychiatrist (who had a good rep) who insisted my son had childhood bipolar. Since childhood bipolar was a brand new disorder at the time, I hadn't had the time to study it and decide for myself if I thought it was even a valid diagnosis for a child. I thought my son was on the autism spectrum, but I went along with him because, after all, he was a doctor and smarter than me (cough). For three years he was put on medication such as lithium, risperdal, depakote, seroquel and zyprexa and he had many horrible reactions. He gained tons of weight. It zoned him out, but it didn't help him. I kept questioning the diagnosis too because my son did not have mood swings. He just overreacted to certain typical Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) situations and was socially clueless.-

One weekend I went to visit some online bipolar kid friends and one of the mothers asked me if Sonic was autistic. Then it hit me. It was obvious to others, but not to psychiatrist. I decided to take him to a neuropsychologist who had no attachment to t his psychiatrist. He diagnosed him with Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD)-not otherwise specified, which made a lot of sense as he had had the typical speech delay, stims, social problems, etc. He had never had wild moodswings. He is eighteen years old now and obviously not bipolar. He only takes a small dose of Vyvanse and does not even have rebound crankiness. I digress...

When I approached psychiatrist with the neuropsychologist's diagnosis and the observations of my friends, he said, "Sonic can not have autism because he can go from one room to another and not have a meltdown." I stared at him. He knew less about Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) than I did. It shocked me. I never went back. Our pediatrician helped wean Sonic off of his Lithium and Seroquel.

I wasted three years with this man. My poor son was put through the ringer with him. My new motto is: "If it doesn't feel right, it's not! Move on!"

I wish you tons of luck. Keep us updated.

If I didn't see your location I would think we went to the same psychiatrist who also insisted difficult child 2 is not Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) cos he has eye contact!!!

DDD

Obviously you need to make the choices. From a slightly different perspective however I wonder if the first appointment isn't a little uncomfortable for all of us. As parents of difficult child's we all carry a little guilt and a little uncertainty as to our parenting skills and patterns. Is it possible that those concerns made you a bit hypersensitive? been there done that.

Conceivably he was trying to redirect the attention from difficult child alone to family interactions with difficult child. It would sound conflicting to say difficult child was uncommunicative but a motor mouth. With AS there is a degree of ridigity that comes with the disorder, at least in our family experience. There is alot of self absorption so we had to learn to monitor how we communicated.

If you are sure that he won't be of help to difficult child and your family drop him. on the other hand, do reanalyze how your conversations and difficult child's comments intermingled and see if it's worth a try to see if his reputation is valid and your first meeting just didn't go the way you expected. On your side, hugs. DDD

DammitJanet

Crystal, Im sorry I made my first post to you.

I do think you need to find a new psychiatrist. I also think that Buddy has a point about the hows of talking to psychiatrists. Unfortunately there are some you have to speak to their ego's instead of being able to just talk. I have had that issue from time to time. Even with regular docs, some of them dont like patients who know their stuff. I think they are threatened.

I think it is perfectly okay to go into a doctor and say to them, hold on, I need to tell you that Little johnny is doing xyz.

For example this doctor asked you about his talking to much I believe and then said he didnt talk in his office right and said you were being confusing.

Dr: Mom, I ask Johnny to answer my questions and I only get simple direct answers can you explain that?

Mom: yes, it appears that way at times when he is with people he doesnt know well but when he is around those he is comfortable he talks constantly and wont let his brother or sister do what they want. His teacher has also noticed this at school and she has provided me a note. Blah blah blah.

BusynMember

If I didn't see your location I would think we went to the same psychiatrist who also insisted difficult child 2 is not Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) cos he has eye contact!!!

Sadly, there are many like ours. I tend not to stick with them. I can't help my child is my psychiatrist is underminding me and questioning my perspective. It turned out that I was right all along, after many psychiatrists told me that Sonic only had "autistic traits" and had "mood disorders" and the ever-so-famous ADHD, which can look a lot like Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) but does not include the severity of social problems, stims, and other such issues.

After working at a few hospitals and a medical answering service, in which you get to know the doctors AS THEY ARE IN REAL LIFE, I learned not to be so starstruck just because of their titles. Our big shot psychiatrist on our answering service burned out several partners with his manic-like ability to work 24/7 and had two kids with severe mental health issues. It opened my eyes.

If certain psychiatrists don't work for our specific kids, what good is hanging in there? I give the psychiatrists/therapists, anyone 3-6 months to help my child improve. If that doesn't happen, we move on. My three year involvement with this psychiatrist taught me not to hang around too long and to go with my mom gut. I do believe in mom gut!

Crystal72

There is no sorry needed.
Ya you are right, but we are mom we tend to research into the diagnoses and most if the time we do know a lot lol

Gosh my both difficult children were killing us the past two days. I think I m down with fever and my husband was complaining about his feet sore

DammitJanet

Oh I know we research. I constantly research but I had two psychiatrists accuse me of knowing too much. As if! LOL. My neuropsychologist actually told me I shouldnt know such big words...lmao. Oh Im sorry Im not a moron.

Crystal72

I know. One time I went to my doctor. I told him I am having a fever, feeling my face is congested and my hearing is like having a fish bowl around me and I think I have sinus infection. The doctor wasn't happy he says ok since you can diagnose yourself you don't need a doctor

DammitJanet

LOL...I have always said I wish they would just put some antibiotics behind the counter and let us sign for them like they make us do for sudafed. That would save a whole lot of wasted money on doctor visits. By the time most of us are 30 at the latest, we can tell what we all have and what medications we need to treat most of the common illnesses. Dr's are only needed for important things.

Crystal72

Not true lol I mean about the doctor are for important things.
some months ago, an acquaintance of mine lost her husband. He was only 34 years old and just did his annual physical exam and passed with flying colors. Cause of death, heart attack and his heart was at the failing rate that he needed a new heart. Doctor didn't detect that. After he died, his younger brother who is 18, went up a cardiologist to make sure he doesn't had heart disease like his older brother and was told he has the same heart disease.