Tornado Sirens

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Ok I'm not even sure if anyone is up right now. lol

But there is NO storm. And our sirens are blaring every ten mins. WTH is up with that?

So I check online for the weather........all it says is there is a tornado watch in effect until 5am. Okkkk. Doesn't explain blaring sirens. Ours don't go off unless someone has seen something.

No storm. No rain,. No wind. No nothing. Weird.

Weather radar looks horrible though.

Not that tornadoes worry me much. I've been in so many I know what I'm listening for ect.

Think I'll go turn on the news.......maybe they'll have something. Not getting squat off the internet. ugh

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Okkkk.

News is stranger. Tornado warning and the storm hasn't even reached us.........doesn't sound good. ugh

I'll check in later.

flutterby

Fly away!
Ours went off, too, but only for about 5 minutes. Just enough to terrify difficult child - she was sobbing, and trying to figure out how to get all of her rats in the bathroom (we don't have a basement). Sigh.....

Meanwhile, Jewel, who is terrified of storms and becomes attached to my hip during them, was trying to get outside and I was trying to get her in the bathroom. With 9 rats, 5 cats, and a dog, I think we need to have tornado drills. :faint:

H

HaoZi

I can barely hear the sirens here even when I'm listening for them and have the windows open, their sound sure isn't going to carry over wind and rain to wake us up. The thunder woke us up around 2 or 3, but not for long.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
If Nichole heard them I can only imagine...........hopefully she was asleep when they went off in dayton then. She's getting better but tornadoes trigger some sort of primal fear in her, but at least now she can mask it for Aubrey's sake.

Storms hit. Still never heard of getting the sirens first/storm later thing. But that was one nasty front that went through. 70mph winds. I have husband assessing wind damage now......so far we seem to be ok. I'd have checked in last night but it was even later buy the time it finally moved out of the area. I knew I was ok. Betsy wasn't freaking out. lol

Is it me or are there some particularly nasty type storm systems this year??

H

HaoZi

Hound, are those sirens set to go off automatically if winds reach a certain speed?

skeeter

second night in a row I had a paranoid dog pacing the house. If we have storms tonight even predicted, I'm gonna sleep in the bedroom in the basement and let husband deal with the dog.
Hound dog - how's the water your way? We had a lot of flooding this morning, and it sounds like our part of the Ohio won't crest until Saturday.

Andy

There really needs to be some mechanism in place that once the sirens start the local t.v. and radio stations (mainly all radio stations within listening area) are alerted ASAP and continous announcements start as to what in the world is going on.

We have so many siren "drills"/checks to make sure they are working correctly that around here many people are in the "call wolf" stage and just ignore them.

Just a few weeks ago they were going off and I was searching the radio for answers. No one could explain what was going on. There was NOT bad weather at all!

Our town was half destroyed in 1919 by a cyclone - it can happen but we usually don't get worried until we are in the midst of it. Sirens are NOT helping especially when they are changing the criteria without notifying the public and radios are not informing us what they mean for that moment. We are now getting them for SOME watches (but I don't think all) and you know how long watches last!

I wouldn't mind the watches IF they were short (5 minutes at most) just to get our attention to turn on a radio to be informed.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Flutter is posting on fb..........so I'm guessing she's ok. lol I hope she didn't get any damage though, those winds were somethin'!

Skeeter I haven't been out and about. But if what I'm seeing from people's backyards are any indication........water is becoming an issue. easy child said there was flooding on her way too and from work......and she passes through like 3 counties. I hope farmers aren't counting on planting soon......soggy out there.

So far no damage for us. I bit of water leakage from the roof in family room........but it does that if the gutter needs cleaned. Can anyone guess what job Travis will have tomorrow since it's supposed to be sunny? lol

As far as the sirens go.......last I heard, ours are manual turned on a really severe storm or an actual funnel/tornado sighting. We had a couple just outside of town......But Betsy didn't stop snoring so I figured it must be going the other way.

Nichole said it was really nasty in dayton. She not only woke up to the storm but the sirens blaring......drug boyfriend and Aubrey and the animals to their "safe" spot (no windows) and stayed there until it was over. Aubrey didn't even wake up. lol

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Wow... I really missed out. That Xanax worked well.

It rained like crazy on Tuesday, yesterday I've no idea... Hmm.