Tough Choices for Tough Children

klmno

Very interesting- I defnitely think mental illness exists in kids and the problem doesn't always lie in poor parenting- but I also agree that we haven't found the right (or best) answer and treatments yet. There are too many of us struggling on this board with difficult child's who have similar issues and different diagnosis's for me to believe that there isn't a better answer. I wish instead of them thinking that maybe it's the parents' fault, at least in part, they might consider that it's the fact that our ENTIRE society is broken that is contributing to things.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Very interesting. I don't know what the answers are. Believe me I don't think that there is any one of us who would do anything to hear that we could take our kid off medications and just have a therapy that would actually work. Long term.
I would love to not have K screaming and hitting herself to make the noises and things in her head stop. To not understand the difference between hurting something and being kind. Yet full of love.
Maybe one day, I do still have hope and I do believe it may happen.
I would love one of these nay sayers to come to my house and watch this for one day say it was mine and husband's parenting. TO honestly look me in the eye and say this.

Wishing

my difficult child goes around town saying how I am down on him and don't encourage him and think he is a bad kid. Other people have said we talk to our kids-OMG if they only knew I could talk to him until I am blue in the face and it would do nothing to stop him from crying for two hours on the floor bc I would not let him have a bonfire in the backyard and setting the field on fire and lighting up the whole neighborhood on a very windy day. Sometimes he just doesn't get what I am saying and then when he takes his medications bango he is clicked in and I don't have yelling and screaming. I can't imagine the last 10 years without medication.