Trader Joe Favorites?

pasajes4

Compared to other cities/states prices are low, but salaries here are below other places. It is all relative. Our middle class is shrinking. You are either in the money or having a bit of a struggle.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I'll have to try Whole Foods... There's one about 20 minutes from us. I have been to TJ a couple times and they seemed SO expensive to me!

Nomad

Staff member
The riced cauliflower is great. Similar to mashed potato. Add a tiny bit of butter and a tiny bit of salt. Low calorie.

I like all the pumpkin stuff in the fall.

Their flowers are reasonably priced.

KTMom91

We got a Sprouts not too long ago, and I love it. They don't have stuff that's as interesting as Trader Joe's stuff, but it's good.

pasajes4

Our sprouts closed. We had Sun Harvest which was I believe was mostly a local chain ( could be wrong). Sprouts bought out SH. the produce was wonderful.

mof

Momdidntsignupforthis
Well, now Whole Foods moved in as well as fresh fields.

If I didn't have teens to feed, I would enjoy these stores!

susiestar

Roll With It
Try the bulk spices at WF. I adore the quality and if you only need a little bit for a new recipe, it is a great way to try them. Sometimes that little bit is too small to register and then it is free. Use the plastic bags for small amounts because the containers register when empty.

I buy items that other stores don't carry, like Izzy soda fr Jess and tabouli because the only tabouli here is in bags that are way overpriced. But that is all due to their prices. But on Fri they have chair massages for $1 per minute!

pasajes4

I am able to buy a lot of spices and grains in bulk from our HEB. They are becoming very competitive in the organic/natural market. I also frequent a Middle Eastern grocery store that has some of the cheapest spices and fresh veggies in town.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I live in an area with large populations of Asians, West Asians, and Middle Easterners. As a result, we have many shops serving those groups.

I buy my spices, rice, and some cooking sauces at those shops. MUCH cheaper than Whole Foods and even TJs, and the stuff is authentic, and because of high turnover, very fresh. in my opinion Whole Foods' spices are garbage, likely because they are constantly exposed to light and air in those bins, which causes the essential oils that carry the flavor to oxidize and change/lose flavor.

I did the same thing when I lived in Chicago.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Or our Outpost. There's three of them in Milwaukee proper, all a bit of a drive for me. I get organic meat there, but can find non-organic fruit and groceries for much less at one of the Bodegas in the Latinx neighborhood not far from me. (Milwaukee is one of the top 3, if not THE top segregated cities in the US.)