Trading difficult child's clothes

klmno

I have a whole lot of old clothes belonging to difficult child that he will never fit into again. They are in good shape and I originally thought I would donate them to a charity. But now I'm wondering, since he will need a whole new wardrobe and that's going to be costly, are there consignment shops or some organization that sells used clothing and accepts (buys/trades) used clothing for a teen or adolescent boy? I'm aware of a couple of places for very young children and grown women, but have no idea how to find out if a store does this for teen boys' clothes. Ideas?

Last edited:

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I haven't seen anything for that age group, either. You could try selling them as a lot on eBay... or Craig's List... or just have a yard sale.

DDD

Call the people you know who deal with kids and women. They should know of similar businesses, if any, for teens. Good luck. DDD

klmno

Selling them is a good idea- especially if we end up going to HI- I can just buy a couple of outfits that I think will fit, then buy more there so I don't have to move them there and difficult child can try them on. I wonder if they will sell if I advertise on CL. I can get some stuff together and try it this week. They are already clean and folded.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Here's what I did - and I got a lot of responses.

I posted a simple ad on Craigslist that read:

Womens larger sized clothing - $20

One huge bag of larger sized 1x,2x, jeans, belts, shoes, bras, a purse or 2, belts - Your's for $20. The $20 cash will be sent in a check to FEED THE CHILDREN Charity in both our names.

Thanks for looking.

I've had 18 responses since Saturday.

klmno

Wow- thanks! I won't lie (not that you did)- I probably won't be able to afford to give the money to charity this time. But I'll try it without that part. difficult child had JUST bought a nice pair of tennis shoes 2 weeks prior to getting arrested. They should at least get a few bucks. I'll have to get a pair of shoe strings for them since they didn't get returned when detention gave them to me. I had forgotten about his belts, too.

klmno

:916blusher: I'm e-bay illiterate. :bag:

Don't I need a credit card (can't use mine anymore)? i thought I'd have to have some sort of account with them and then, I'd also have to pack and ship stuff. I guess I just don't know how it works. But, if it's feasible, I'm willing to do it- how do I make sure I get my money?

DammitJanet

Do you have a debit card for your checking account? You can set up paypal that way...or you can just take only money orders. However paypal is soooo much easier. You can also set up paypal with your checking account too. Paypal is very safe too. They guarantee their site.

Its so easy to ebay and shipping is easy with the post office and their shipping boxes. You know what the shipping cost is ahead of time because you have already gone to the po and got the box and seen how much it costs to put it in the box. You know...those prepaid boxes...if it fits, it ships...lol. Just add a dollar or two for your time. There are ebay fees so you do have to set up with ebay but you can do that through paypal once you get set up on that.

klmno

Is it a situation where the buyer's money goes into paypal and I can only use it to buy something from ebay? Or do I ever actually get cash?

I like the idea of advertising on craigslist, locally, a lot better- they can come and pay me then take it if they want it. LOL! But, I guess ebay is good if something has some worth but isn't bought by someone local.

DammitJanet

Ebay is really simple...really. Paypal goes into your bank account. You just transfer it from paypal into your bank. No one outside of you knows your bank info. Its like a money laundering system...lol.

See...you could send me money by simply paying me money to my email addy. It goes into my paypal account. That way you never see my bank account info. Neat huh? I can also pay you by just using my paypal account to pay you by just sending it to your paypal account which sends you an email telling you that you have a deposit. Then you verify that the money is there and mail the item and all is done.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Speaking of EBAY - I called a friend one day after all this EBAY stuff got rolling and said...

I have a potato chip that looks like Jesus. :tongue: - No seriously.....Then my friend rushes over here and I set the chip on the counter and she said -"Okay let me see this chip." and I said "There it is." and pointed to a near blank, perfect chip." and she said "Where?" (so excitable this one) and I said "LOOK AT IT!" and she looked again. Then she said "I don't see it." I rolled my eyes and turned it upside down and said "OH....theres why." and said "NOW look." and she gave me THAT look (you know like I was TRYING to get one over on her) pft.....and she looked AGAIN...and said "Nope, No I still don't see an image of Jesus." and I said "Well do you have something to compare it to? A wallet size photo? A high school graduation photo?"

OMG I will never live that one down. Good thing I make REALLY good coffee and sweet rolls. :tongue:

klmno

good one, Star!

So, I can make sure the buyer's money is there and they can't take it back before I mail stuff out?

DammitJanet

No, once its there its there. They can contest a sale but that doesnt happen on clothes. It happens on big ticket items like jewelry or electronics.

Just make sure you take good pics, give good descriptions and point out any flaws.

Read some of the other descriptions on ebay.

klmno

Ok, thanks! I'll try on craigslist first but whatever doesn't sell quickly there, I will go ahead and put on ebay.

klmno

LOL! What do you get for each one? (I have half a bag that I was planning on eating with lunch this week. )

susiestar

Roll With It
Yes. Ebay is pretty easy to set up. Just be sure you think about shipping before you start. The post office will provide all the labels and boxes fro Priority mail. They have flat rate boxes that are great. You don't have to weigh things or scrounge up or buy boxes, which can save you substantial amounts of both time and money.

If you set up your auctions to be groups of items that will fill a flat rate box it makes listing go a lot easier. I would set things to fill small size flat rate boxes and if a buyer wins more than 1 auction you can put them into a larger size flat rate box. Or fill the box full and state that you do not combine shipping because the auction fills a flat rate box.

You can print labels for priority mail that have the postage included. You have to either use a full sheet label and have half of it be your receipt or use regular paper and tape it on with package sealing tape. I cover the label with tape strips that overlap so that if the label gets wet it does not run. The tape is cheaper than the labels for me.

Paypal is pretty easy to set up, so is ebay. So it may be worth it.

Otherwise look in the phone book for consignment places. We have a chain in the city called Plato's Closet that is consignment for name brand clothing for teens. I find them overly picky and proud of their stuff but they are ALWAYS busy. They are very concerned with name brands and styles.