Tragic--no good deed goes unpunished

TerryJ2

OMG, the story about this adoptive couple is so sad. The kids will probably be well cared for in the will, since the couple was wealthy, but what a tragedy that these kids won't have parents any more. What a wonderful couple.
One thought that crossed my mind, was, will the general public believe that the surveillance cameras were legit? We all know how useful they are, but "we" are not the general public.
Thank heaven the cameras were there.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,532322,00.html?test=latestnews

klmno

It's horrible. I'm trying not to get too caught up into all I see on tv about it and just wait for mmore substantial stuff- like what was the real motive. I did hear that the family is taking care of the kids now and that they are assuring people the kids will all stay together. I hope that can be done, but it really might be more than can be expected.

everywoman

I saw the report today. How horrible. I don't know where one could go in their mind to even think of doing something like that.

Star*

call 911........call 911
I saw this and just thought - WHY?

We all struggle here with one or a few kids with disabilities and these folks adopted kids with multiple disabilities - and gave them a life, a chance - a home, love..and then these awful people took it away from those children?

Why? I just am sickened to think this was a random act of violence for a pathetic amount of cash. I hope they wheel all 10 kids into a room and make each and every one of these robbers watch their faces and are made to look into their eyes for at least a day.

There are just no words.

DammitJanet

I hope the jurors are made to look into the faces of the children. To see what these idiots have taken from them. No amount of money, jail time or anything can ever replace what has been taken from those kids.

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
It's just awful. I've been so distressed and sick at heart with every newscast.

I have a terrible confession. I'm scared to death that they will unearth some kind of scandal about the couple to "explain" the invasion. Where did the money come from to pay for that mansion? Was this some kind of retribution for a drug deal gone bad? Arms distributor? Was it the wrong house? Why them, when they lived in a neighborhood of mansions? Just bad luck?

There have been so many tragedies lately that, when scrutinized, there is another layer to the story (McNair, Sanford, etc). I so want these people to be as wonderful as they have been portrayed so that their legacy to their children can be pure.

Suz

N

Nomad

OMG! I was out all weekend, most of yesterday and was at the doctor this morning. I haven't been watching the new and hadn't seen this.
I'm having trouble "taking this in."
It is beyond comprehension.
I did have a flash thought similar to Suz's. We hear so many strange cases with sinister unexpected turns.
However, I also wonder if my thinking is the result of having been deceived by difficult child invidiuals in the past.
My heart goes out to those children.
Very tragic and sad story.

p.s.
LONG STORY SHORT:
Terry...I CAUGHT the title of this post and for a LONG time I use to go around saying this to myself...it has great "meaning" to me. Perhaps it does to you as well. (hugs).

TerryJ2

Oh, I grew up with-that saying. :)
But it is so true!

Suz and Nomad, maybe because we're all so cynical about everything nowdays--mostly because the media exposes every little pimple and nose hair unnecessarily, one wonders how a perfect family can be wiped out like that.
If we went back in time and took the media with us, our country would have made no progress at all. Ben Franklin was a philanderer and party animal; Thomas Jefferson had slaves and a mistress; Martin Luther King had affairs. The Catholic church has a long list of popes who publicly flaunted the 10 Commandments and who make our senators and congresspeople look like puddle jumpers. I wonder if the art collections and architectural heritage are worth it?
The list goes on.

I tend to look at the big picture. What were these people doing to help others? They adopted numerous children and provided for them.

I can't imagine that whatever slight there may have been, it was worth payback by death, rather than a lawsuit by a disgruntled ex-employee, for example.

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
I tend to look at the big picture. What were these people doing to help others? They adopted numerous children and provided for them.

Me, too. That is precisely why I hope their reputations will remain untarnished when the investigations are complete. For the children.

Suz

DammitJanet

There are some "rumors" floating about that maybe one of the people who broke in and did this heinous act may have been a bio sperm donor of one of those children. Or somehow related in some way.

Maybe there was some sort of blackmail scheme gone wrong or something. Dunno.

N

Nomad

I saw on yesterday's news that 7 suspects have been arrested (I think an 8th and final suspect was arrested as well) in what was likely some sort of conspiracy invasion/robbery effort orchestrated by a group leader.
The State Attorney said that typical things you see taken in a burglary were removed from the home, including a safe. He also mentioned that some of the suspects were people who had worked in the home and that lot of planning and practice went into this invasion. One of the daughter's was at the interview and she was grieving very badly. There was mention of the children being distributed to various family members. The spokesperson said that he was hoping that the rumors would be put away in this case.

Last edited:

klmno

I'm not sure I can digest the robbery motive as a stand-alone motive too easily. I heard a couple of these people turned themselves in. If you're the type of person who would kill just to get a few things (even some cash) that someone has in their house, it's hard for me to buy that you'd spend that much time planning all that out but really be so guilt-ridden less than a week afterwards that you turn yourself in. I thought most people who commit murder during the course of a robbery do so because they unexpectedly find a person in the house. These people knew that the residents were home. They must have planned to kill them- if the intent was just robbery, why not plan to tie them up and gag them instead of commit murder?