Traveling to Canada and have a question

mstang67chic

Going Green
I'm leaving in about 12 days (woo hoo!!!) to go to Canada. I'm actually flying into Seattle and then driving up to Vancouver. I've never been out of the country before and had a couple of questions. When I cross the border, is there usually someplace there where I can convert some money over to Canadian?

Oh, and husband in his immense knowledge (coughcough) is wondering if Canadians drive on the right side of the road like we do. (Uh, yeah, cause they are so different than we are :hammer: )

I know you still don't need a passport but if I take mine, will they stamp it anyway just so I have at least one stamp in it? LOL

Thanks for the help!

Star*

call 911........call 911
DF's mom (86) and Aunt (89) go to Canada all the time for Canola (mmm better than butter) and flour in 50 lb bags etc for baking and shopping.

To exchange your money? I would get travelers checks, and have your local bank exchange your money BEFORE you fly.

As far as a passport - I figure you should take it becaue you NEVER know what could happen while you are in Canada. DF's Mom said when she has to show a passport for buying flower and grease to make bread? She'll stop baking bread. But they do stop them and go through their car on the way out.

Do you have AAA or know someone that does? Get some tourbooks, and a trip tick. VERY worth the money you'll save having good information.

Oh look eh, a moose eh. lol. Eh.

klmno

I did that a couple of times but it was years ago. I don't recall having any problem with currency in Vancouver. It really didn't seem that much different than the states- but there are a lot of things to see and do- worthwhile trip, I thought. Have fun!!

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
I wouldn't convert money, just use charge cards if you have one. They are usually pretty good about taking US currency, they will give change in Canadian currency. Definitely take your passport.....I think they are becoming more stringent on ID. I'm thinking since you are driving in more than likely they won't stamp it, but I could be wrong. Put your passport in a safe place when you leave your room or take it with you when you go places. Know where it is at all times! Don't think the Canadians will check you that closely, but getting BACK into the US, they may check more carefully and it's better to use your passport than wait in line for those who don't have US passports.......

Enjoy your trip, I have visited Vancouver and it is amazing........Starbucks across the street from each other.........and everyone wears black. The homeless are evident everywhere in the city.......

tiredmommy

There will be exchange booths on both sides of the border. I usually get my best rate buying Canadian currency in Canada. FWI: a looney is a one dollar coin (gold tone) and a twooney is a two dollar coin (silver with a smaller gold inlay).

Canadians drive on the right, too.

You need proof of citizenship, such as a passport or birth certificate with state/government issued identification to get back & forth across the border.

Have a great time!

mstang67chic

Going Green
Oh look eh, a moose eh. lol. Eh.

LOL Actually, I'm more worried about my feet. Apparently, there have been some feet that have washed up on shore in Vancouver. Just the feet. Still in shoes even. I'm told though that the area they are found in is way away from where I'll be.

witzend

We go to Mexico all of the time. We don't carry much cash with us. We have enough for tips and things like that, but other than that we use our credit or debit cards, which is how you get the best exchange rate. That way you get the exchange rate for that time at that day, and they charge you less than 1% of the sale for an exchange fee. And you don't have to sell your money back at the end of your trip. They usually buy for much less than they sell for.

But, if you feel you must have some Looneys, buy them in Canada. You'll get a better rate than you'd pay here.

mstang67chic

Going Green
Thanks all! I know I'm being a dork about this but I've never been out of the country so I'm a bit excited!!! (Even if it IS Canada, eh) I even started packing my carry on bag!

Keeping my passport and $$ safe shouldn't be an issue. I'm going to visit an online friend from one of my book groups and I'm staying at her place. I need to start exercising though. She's Italian (born in Italy and immigrated to Canada as a child) and loves to cook. From scratch. As I love to eat.....I'm doomed.

I'm sure I'll get lots of pictures so I'll be sure to post some.

'Chelle

HEY what you mean, even if is IS Canada???? LOL j/k OH, and ummmm we don't really say eh here too much - mostly down east and you'll be west coast. I sometimes wonder when they give away trips to Canada on shows like The Price is Right what the big excitement is. But I suppose for you a trip to Canada IS a different country, and it is a great place to live. We drive on the right side the road, we speak english (and no we don't have accents LOL). Loonies are yellow = $1, toonies silver ring yellow center = $2 and yep our paper money is colored and I like that better than all one color = easier to tell if you have a $5 bill (blue) or a $10 (purple) or a $20 (green) and grab it out of your wallet.

I think witzend's advice to use debit cards is a good one. Get some cash in advance for small things then use your cards. I've never travelled outside the country, but my bosses do. You might want to check with your airline, but going from Canada to the US we now need passports if we fly. It may be the same going from there to here.

Vancouver is a beautiful city, the whole province of BC is lovely. Hope you have a wonderful time.

Star*

call 911........call 911
So Mustang -

What are you sending me? I would like Moose Poop Candy and a 2x Tshirt with a Maple leaf on it.

And a whistle,

And a donkey,

And a moose,

and a and a......

susiestar

Roll With It
I don't know about Canada, but I know in MANY places here they have big signs saying they do not take traveller's checks for any reason. So you might have to go to a bank to use those. Just wanted to mention.

As for stamping the passport, I bet if you smiled, explained it is your 1st trip outside the US, (let them see how excited you are!), then if they are not very busy they may stamp them, even if they usually don't.

I think the trip sounds like fun. Just be careful!

Hugs,

Susie

ps. I want 2 of what you gave star, but no donkey, no moose, and no whistles. And a book.

Hey! IF Star gets to ask I do to! Stop pushing me! MOM!!! Star LOOKED at me!!!

mstang67chic

Going Green
Alright you two...settle down! Don't. Make. Me. Come. Back. There.

Star...be very careful what you ask for. My friend makes all types of stuff (I mean for Pete's sake....when the tooth fairy visits her kids....she has a cut out that she uses on the wall with glitter....all over her house. Cause the TF is little and all that money is heavy so she slams into the walls sometimes) so you just might wind up with Moose Poop. Er...Candy. Yes, Moose poop candy. uh huh. yep. that's what it is...candy. T-shirt.......we'll see.

Susie.......you sure you want to ask for this stuff too? LOL You never know what kind of twisted gifts I will come up with. :devil:

fuddleduddledee

Debit is the way to go. I live in Ontario and it's been years and years since I've carried much in the way of cash. Most stores do debit transactions now including the tiniest of variety stores. Enjoy yourself, eh?

Ohhh.... I am so jealous. You are going to have a great time. I love Vancouver. I hope that you can go to Whistler and out and about. The gardens there are just lovely - and the Asian fusion food - oh yeah!

We always use our credit cards there and the passports as well . We have found in the past couple of years that the passports can speed things up a bit. (We always get delayed because supposedly difficult child's name is on the "do not fly list"). I really can't imagine why - but we when show his passport all is well.

Post some photos when you get back and have a wonderful time!

Star*

call 911........call 911
Stop touching me, stop touching me, stop touching me, stop touching me.

There REALLY is a candy called Moose poop and it's out of this world delicious - it's cardiac arrest in a bag. IT makes those Turtles - taste like horse apples. Mmmmm not that I've ever eaten a horse apple.

I hope you have a fantastic time - I hope you see some great things, I hope you enjoy the time you have there in beautiful Canada.

Safe Journey! And LOADS of Gingerale weather - Canada Dry

OH CANADA...........................OH CANADA..............
How lovely are thy......no wait - that's OH CHRISTMAS.....then what is the Canadian National Anthem?

OH CANADA.......waltzing Matilda, waltzing Matilda.....no that's Australia.......

Well if you are asked the first 2 words are OH CANADA - belted out like you're a pop star.

mstang67chic

Going Green
Ok....so my list of things to pack/do/see for the trip now include: a Canada maple leaf t-shirt (2 of them), a whistle, a book, various pack animals, and some moose poop. (wonder what the border patrol will say about THAT one).

Actually.......I think I have a plan to actually gather all of this and get it to you. :devil: Muwahahahahaha.

Andy

OHHHH Wonderful memories!! For our honeymoon, husband and I rode the Amtrack to Seattle. His cousin drove us to Vancouver where we hopped a ship for an inland passage cruise. What beautiful country Seattle to Alaska!!!

Passport laws have changed just this past year or two. You may find yourself needing it to return home.

You are going to have an awesome vacation!

trinityroyal

Mstang, I second the advice of anyone who has recommended that you bring your passport with you. Even if it turns out that you don't need it, it will be easier for your border crossing if you have it. And the border guards might just stamp it for you.

If you and husband get a chance, head over to Stanley Park and rent bicycles.

You won't here a lot of "eh" in Vancouver. As 'Chelle said, that's mainly an East Coast thing. And try to find the time to stop in to Tim Horton's for a maple dipped donut (a Canadian delicacy). Try the coffee too. I've heard a lot of people say that it's better than any other coffee they've tried (I don't drink coffee, so I couldn't tell you)

Have a wonderful time!

Trinity

mstang67chic

Going Green
That's one of the good parts of this trip (not that I don't want to take a vacation with just husband and I because I do).....it's just ME that's going!

As for coffee...there's a particular place I've been informed that I need to check out. I forget the name offhand (my friend goes there though) but they use cream and whip cream to make art in your coffee cup. I've seen pictures and it's amazing what they do! I'm not a coffee drinker so I'll have to make do with hot chocolate.

There's so much I'd like to see but I'm only going to be there for two days really. I fly into Seattle on Friday, drive to Vancouver and probably get there early evening. Monday I'll have to be up at o'dark thirty to drive back to Seattle to catch my flight home and won't actually make it back to my home airport till about 10:30 that night. :bloodshot:

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
One of the cheap fun things to do was to walk down to the pier where the cruise ships were loading and watch when they make all the passengers line up with life jackets on and count off.......ah, I'm a cheap date......the harbor is fun to walk around and see the huge ships. There are some great restaurants so check them out....unfortunately I can't remember the names.......have a great trip and enjoy yourself!