TRIED to see the shuttle land today...

gcvmom

Here we go again!
but we missed it by about 15 minutes! We drove about 100 miles to try to catch the landing since it's a rare occasion that it's landing in California on a day my kids aren't in school. And since none of us (except husband) have ever seen it land or take off in person, I thought it would make for a fun adventure.

Turns out the dang NASA PR person gave me the wrong directions and so we got turned around several times before finally finding the airforce base. We were about 10 miles from the base at a signal light when the sonic boom hit (BA-BOOM! -- almost thought we got hit from behind!). We finally made it to the viewing area, but the shuttle was about 5 miles or so away and even with my telephoto lense it looked pretty small :(

At least if we get the chance to do this again, we'll KNOW EXACTLY how to get there! :D

Last edited:

TerryJ2

Awww! How frustrating! I guess I never realized you could feel the boom from that distance. Awesome.
We've seen one take off. That's awesome, too.
I'm glad they're back safely.
I'm still sick about the Columbia disaster where the families were on the ground, making plans for lunch with-the astronauts, and then ...
So every time one takes off and lands safely, I am both relieved and elated.

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
I think feeling the boom would be cool. Sorry you didn't quite get there to see it but I can't imagine the feeling of that big boom.

beth

Star*

call 911........call 911
Sooooooooooo there's a sound stage in California near YOU too?

Wonder how they did that boom chaka laka lakka?

THe picture is the absolute coolest Chicky - thanks very much.

California is starting to grow on me - forest fires, pirate husbands, difficult child's, space shuttles, coyotes, rattle snakes, earth quakes....I'm really starting to believe that you're the toughest in the bunch here. ;)

And you rescue chickens on the side?

AMAZING!!! YOU SO TOTALLY ROCK!

Ropefree

Banned
I was outside a stadium when the Beatles proformed. Same thing. CLose is close.
It was so cool on tv. Wow. 15 seconds to get the landing gear out. Unbelievable.
Perfict landing. and you were there!

Jena

I lived in fla. many years ago, i went to high school out there. It was an amazing experience to see it take off and land. My high school was a matter of miles away from the kennedy space center. unfortunately i was also there to see the challenger crash. some things you just never forget, outside changing classes and everyone screaming and looking up.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Yes, I remember that day as well, Jennifer. It was the day after my birthday and I was at work as a cashier at a drugstore. They had the TV on at the front of the store near the registers where we could watch the launch. I just remember the shock and horror I felt as the catastrophe unfolded before my eyes.

The Columbia disaster was equally incredible.

It's a miracle that thing can do what it does and that there haven't been more accidents with as many missions as they've run.