Triennial IEP review in 2 weeks, P/T conferences tomorrow

ok so my 11 yr old is in middle school now, and he's having a pretty hard time. he's working his behind off and barely passing all except math, and that's with lots of extra credit. he has dysgraphia basically, and they're been treating the symptoms of that to a small extent by letting him use an alphasmart. he also has problems with his visual perception, tracking i think it was, and below average motor skills, plus his seeming difficulties with written expression, and to some degree oral also. he doesn't express himself well. he's barely reading on grade level, his writing scores are below grade level. in elementary school he was doing ok. but middle school with the several classes and all the homework and stuff he has to do, he can't keep up. the review wasn't actually due until january, but the Sped teacher and other teachers are concerned enough that they moved it up. I asked for a formal cognitive test, what else should i have them do? and if you have any, suggestions for how to help him?

Sheila

I recommend that you not limit the testing in any way. I'd want a full re-evaluation in conjunction with IDEA:

Sec. 300.304 Evaluation procedures. http://idea.ed.gov/explore/view/p/%2Croot%2Cregs%2C300%2CD%2C300%252E304%2C

(4) The child is assessed in all areas related to the suspected disability, including, if appropriate, health, vision, hearing, social and emotional status, general intelligence, academic performance, communicative status, and motor abilities;
(6) In evaluating each child with a disability under Sec. Sec. 300.304 through 300.306, the evaluation is sufficiently comprehensive to identify all of the child's special education and related services needs, whether or not commonly linked to the disability category in which the child has been classified.

Has he had Occupational Therapy via the sd or privately for fine and gross motor skill delays? If not, I'd want the therapy. Alphasmart is great, but that's an accommodation, not a treatment. Properly developed motor skills are important to the overall learning process.

Martie

IDEA 2004 allow the parent and SD to WAIVE the triennial evaluation. In your case, don't accept anything less than a full reevaluation--just as Sheila described.

Martie