True confession

Abbey

Spork Queen
My husband is a Dollar Store addict.

We're struggling to pay rent, and he goes to the Dollar Store to 'save money.' He comes back with $110 of stuff that we won't use in the next year.

I'll never understand the male mind.

Abbey

'Chelle

Ah yes, Dollarama - everything in the store is only $1. I try to stay out of there as much as possible. Went there with easy child the other day to buy her a few things, she loves doing crafty things and you can get items to use for only $1. Was only going to spend like $5, only had a $20 bill, they don't take debit or credit cards. We left the store with 16 items = $16. It's that "oh we need that, and I always wanted one of these in the kitchen and it's only $1" thing that gets you. :bag:

Never done $110 worth though, sorry about that.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Yes....................

This is why our bankcard is ALWAYS in need of replacing.

So did you get some jewelery at least?

Abbey

Spork Queen
Got to love $1 jewlery. ;)

Actually, I never go with him. Can't stand the place. I shop at my local grocery store who has great 10 for $10 deals, and you don't even have to buy 10 of them. If it's not 10/10, I don't buy. Just got a HUGE tri-tip for 99 cents/lb. Can't beat that.

Funny thing is, what he bought wouldn't even make a dinner. It's just random things like mouse traps. WE DON'T HAVE MICE!!!:angry-very:

Sigh...

Abbey

Abbey

Spork Queen
Oh...here's another one. He bought 3 boxes of BB's. We don't even own a BB Gun. He says is was such a good deal he couldn't pass it up. Maybe I need to go buy a BB Gun so I could pepper his arse.

Abbey

KateM

OMG, had to laugh at "pepper his arse" -- my Mom use to say that! Haven't hears that gem in awhile. Thanks for the chuckle!

Does your hubby do this in other stores or just the Dollar Store? Mice traps and BBs?? Sorry, Abby!

Abbey

Spork Queen
He CONVINCED that shopping there is cheaper. For some things, yes...but overall, I don't think you save a dime if you are a smart shopper. I think mostly it's impulse for him. Ohhhh...only $1. I have to get it!! Well, that's a problem when the ENTIRE store is only $1.

Then, to top things off, he brings these zillion bags home and just leaves them on the kitchen counter. No putting away.

I'm glad I'm heading off to work. (Got my Mexican hat and poncho on today. Boombox and lots of Merengue.) He can look at those bags all day.

Abbey

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
Well, of course you don't have any mice, you've got all those mouse traps.......I would recommend $$$ store rehab........

Genny

Worlds Best Nana
I think I could find lots of places to put a mouse trap - ike his sock drawer, his tool box, his slipper... Hey, what's the point of buying them if you're not going to get some use out of em, right? They could at least provide some cheap entertainment (not to mention anger management!)

Genny

Abbey

Spork Queen
I think I could find lots of places to put a mouse trap - ike his sock drawer, his tool box, his slipper... Hey, what's the point of buying them if you're not going to get some use out of em, right? They could at least provide some cheap entertainment (not to mention anger management!)

Genny

That is too darn funny. (signal wicked laughter)

Actually, he and easy child son and many of his friends were over last week. Well, husband had maybe 10 too many beers. So, they challenged him to snap one over his nip. (I'm in bed listening to this insanity.) Did he do it...yep. He still has a whopping bruise on his chest.

Abbey

'Chelle

OHHH, at least what I get is stuff I'll use or need. Yep very sorry about his dollar store addiction. I know how you feel, like when my husband goes to the Hobby store, and comes home with one more airplane model he's never gonna put together. I hope my husband kicks the bucket before me, just so I can have the satisfaction of a huge garage sale of all his stuff...and pay for kids school or something LOL

Genny's idea might have merit, set the mouse traps all over the house, especially where he walks, and if he trips one or two on his toes, well you're just trying to catch the mice...you must have them since he bought the traps.

F

flutterbee

Abbey, my dad is like that. Can't pass up a bargain. I remember when Value City first opened. My dad was in heaven. Bought cr@p he'd never use because it was such a good deal.

When I was a teenager, he found this store that sold clothing items marked 'irregular'. So, for Christmas I got a pair of sweats where one leg hit mid-calf and the other leg hung over my foot and a jersey with the state (Illinois) spelled backwards. But, it was such a good deal. :rolleyes: That was in addition to the remote control 4x4. I have no idea. I was a 13 year old girl. He got the same one for everyone that year, including his girlfriend. They must have been on sale.

His current girlfriend (they've been together 15 years or so - and this is probably why it works for them) is just like him. She found a thrift shop in their small town where people donate clothes and then they sell them for a quarter. The last time I was in their house was in '99. In the walk-out basement there were just piles and piles of clothes. I mean 4 feet tall by 6 feet wide. And many of them. They had to clear stuff off the table and the chair so I could sit down. I told him he might want to go through all this stuff before he dies because I wasn't doing it. It's ridiculous.

Meanwhile, the addition to his house that he's been working on for at least 12 years and still isn't completely done yet has been great for storing all that extra stuff.

:crazy2:

Hopeless

....Hopeful Now
Thanks for the laughs tonight. I was just reading through the threads and I have laughed several times reading this one. My husband is just shaking his head at me. I have a picture in my head of Abbey's husband and friends using the mouse trap and then Heather with her "irregular" clothing from her Dad.

Abbey - so sorry husband has this $$$ dollar store obsession. I like the suggestion of placing them around the house for him to find.:devil2:

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Abbey

husband is not allowed near the Dollar Store or anything like it without me. Then again, I also avoid having him grocery shop for me if I can help it. He'll come home with the dumbest stuff thinking he's gotten a huge bargain. Well, when you're not sure you can buy enough food to make it for 2 weeks you don't buy dounuts and junk food. After all these years you'd think it would dawn on him.

I went to the dollar store a couple of weeks ago. I did very well. Walmart didn't have salt and pepper shakers, but I knew they did. Picked up a few other things we really needed that were cheap and left the store with husband whining about why I wouldn't get this or that. He was worse than Darrin who had been treated with a 50 cent truck. sheesh

Hugs

Abbey

Spork Queen
Glad to know I'm not alone.

I'll give him some credit. I worked all day and he steamed cleaned all the carpets and made dinner. Some days are good.

(I'm still not giving up the thought of the mouse traps.)

Abbey

KTMom91

Sounds familiar! The Dollar Store is bad, but sending Hubby alone to Target is worse...all those end caps of clearance merchandise that's "such a good price"...

MEN.