Trusting difficult children to stay home alone

Californiablonde

I so hope I don't live to regret this. My boyfriend wants to take me out to lunch at our favorite sports bar tomorrow. We usually go on Sundays when the kids are at their dad's, but since ******* cancelled visits for the next month we've been unable to go. And my boyfriend leaves for Arizona tomorrow night to visit his parents for Thanksgiving. He will be gone for six days so we won't be seeing each other for awhile. He wants to take me out before he leaves. We have this week off due to Thanksgiving break. I am going to trust the difficult children home alone for a couple of hours. Before this, the longest I ever left them home alone together was for about a half hour. This time I am giving them the benefit of the doubt and trusting them to behave themselves for a longer amount of time. Both difficult children are technically old enough to stay home alone in our state, but I've never trusted them previously because they fight, and boy do they ever. Their fighting isn't a daily occurance, but it does sometimes happen and when it does they can get brutal. They hit, bite, scratch. It's rare that they ever break out into a huge fight like this, but there's still a chance it may happen when I'm not there. So I am going to give it a go and hope for the best. They both have their cell phones so they can always call me to come home if needed. Hopefully they do okay. Wish me luck.

InsaneCdn

Does one of them have an escape-hatch? i.e. somewhere else to go to avoid a fight? (for me as a kid, it was the library)

B

Bunny

How did it go? Was everyone in one piece when you got back? I think that you're brave.

Californiablonde

Well he had to cancel because he landed two side jobs unexpectedly for tomorrow. Maybe it's for the best. Today at the boy's and girl's club easy child was following difficult child around and doing annoying things to her all day. Stuff like licking her arms and pinching her. I suppose I should have given him a dose of Focalin before dropping them off but usually I skip his medications on non school days. Now I'm home with the both of them for the next six days. Boyfriend will be gone to Arizona so it's just me and them. Hopefully our little mini vacation is nice and chaos free. One can only hope.

InsaneCdn

Don't skip the Folacin on non-school days. I know a couple of kids that it works for... and they are not mine, and not me. Most ADHD people who do well on medications, do well to be consistent. Real life requires attention, too - not just school.