Trying a new recipe for dinner... chicken apple sausage strata

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I found what sounds like a yummy recipe in our local paper a few weeks ago. It's a chicken apple sausage strata. It has the sausage, sliced apples, cheddar cheese, bread, egg, milk, s&p and dry mustard. I've got it baking right now and the time should be going off any minute! It was very easy to prepare, but the real test will be to see if any of my family will actually EAT it, lol!

I'll let you know how it turns out!

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Well, it was o.k. difficult child 1 ate it without complaints. easy child picked the sausage out and ate that. It was a little bland for my liking, but that's just me. I cheated a little on the prep, so maybe that has something to do with it. You're supposed to let the concoction sit overnight in the fridge before putting in a pan to bake. Maybe that would intensify the flavors more? Or maybe the mild cold I have coming on dulled my palate? I don't know.

difficult child 2 isn't hungry yet, so no word on whether he'll try it -- though he's usually game for just about anything. husband isn't home yet, though I'm sure he'll at least try it and will let me know if it's worth a repeat for him. :)

It was easy enough to make. I may look for other variations... This version would make a nice brunch entree, too.

Here's the recipe:

Chicken Sausage and Apple Strata

Yield: 12 servings

2 tsp oil
2 pounds chicken apple sausage, thinly sliced
2 large Granny Smith apples, thinly sliced
12 pieces day-old white bread, cubed
9 eggs, slightly beaten
3 C milk
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper (I used ground white pepper)
3/4 dry mustard
1 1/2 C grated white cheddar (I used medium yellow cheddar)

Directions:
1. Heat oil in a large skillet. Add sausage; brown on both sides. Remove sausage to a large bowl. Add apples to the skillet; cook until golden brown. Add to the sausage. Add bread cubes to the bowl. Mix eggs, milk, salt, pepper and mustard in a separate bowl. Add the egg mixture to the sausage mixture. Stir in 1 C of the cheese. Cover; refrigerate overnight.

2. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Pour the egg mixture into a greaased 12" skillet or a 13x9" baking dish. Bake in the middle of the oven, 30 minutes. Sprinkle on the remaining cheese. Bake until cooked through, about 15 minutes.

Nutrition information (per serving): 377 calories (54% from fat); 23g fat, 9g saturated fat, 246mg cholesterol, 21g carbohydrates, 24g protein, 995mg sodium, 1g fiber.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Ok, going to show just how unsophisticated I am.............

What is chicken apple sausage?? Never heard of it, wouldn't have a clue where to find it. lol I'm pretty sure I've never ever seen it. hmm

And that day old bread cubed thing.........I hate it when recipes call for that sort of thing. So? Do I just cube normal bread, as I've no clue how many days old it is? or is there some trick to this.......or something you buy that I'm missing?

Otherwise, it sounds good. I'm guessing the overnite thing will enhance the flavor some........and substituting mild yellow cheddar for white may change it a tad too.

LittleDudesMom

You can find the chicken apple sausage in your meat department usually near or around the kielbasa. The chicken sausage has grown in popularity lately because it is lower i fat and sodium than pork sausage. You can find chicken/asiago, chicken/apple, chicken/chipolte at our local grocer. As far as the day old bread, if you get down to the bottom of a loaf of bread that is at it's "use by" date, get in the habit of keeping a freezer bag of those "heels" in the freezer. When a recipe calls for bread crumbs or cubes, you will have "day old" bread in the freezer to use!

Sharon

gcvmom

Here we go again!
HD, the whole point of the day-old bread is that it's slightly stale so it will soak up the egg mixture better. The bread I used wasn't dry enough (cheap loaf of French) so I sliced it up and popped it in the oven for @200deg for about 15 minutes. And since it wasn't slicing very well, I just shredded it into small chunks manually :) So if you want to try the recipe, just pick out whatever bread you want to use and let the slices sit out in the open air all day. That way they lose all their moisture so they can take on the egg/milk better.