trying to maintain toughlove

Well I went to my Dads and made it back. Tomorrow my difficult child is geting out of jail and I am still nervous. Why do s ome people not have to do what we did - maybe we made a hasty decision when he came home drunk the last time - he really wasnt following the rules and wanted a beer and cigs every night. I feel so bad for him. He hasnt written or called this time. I just wrote him a short letter telling him who to contact at the halfway house. I did talk to another friend and she told me where her son went - who knows - I just cant imagine all this working to the good - my husband is steadfast in concrete about him coming home - I know that - but it still is hard for me - just pray and thanks.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Stands

I know it's hard, but your husband is right. At home where life is cozy, difficult child has no motivation to change for the better. And your lives get thrown into chaos once again. Does that really sound like you should feel sorry for him? He is making these choices, they aren't being forced on him by anyone. You have no reason for guilt.

Remember, destract yourself, go to your meetings, call someone from your al-anon group and chat when you feel yourself weakening.

((hugs))

Star*

call 911........call 911
He (your son) can't begin to heal - until you start feeling sorry for yourself - and then do something and continue to do something for YOU.

He's GOT to know that there is a pillar of stone for an example on how to be a decent human - not a willow tree.

BE AN OAK STANDS!!!!!!! No don't be an oak stand - I'm thinking table here - be an oak TREE stands......no no no - tree stands for hunters.....

BE AN OAK SUSAN ......or some kind of hardwood.......but stand nonetheless......

witzend

Why do s ome people not have to do what we did

Everyone has their own cross to bear, Susan. You're a grown woman and you're old enough to understand that you don't want to trade your troubles for someone else's. You're not ready for someone else's problems because you don't even know that they're there. The only way to be happy is to confront your own problems. You've only made the babiest of steps, it's way too early to start feeling sorry for yourself and cave in.

maybe we made a hasty decision when he came home drunk the last time - he really wasnt following the rules

I'm abit confused. You made a decision about your own home and he broke the rules and you feel like you were hasty? Please go to the archives page and read the distorted thinking list.

I feel so bad for him. He hasnt written or called this time.

I hope you understand that he doesn't feel badly about anything he's done. In fact, he wants you to feel badly because now you are on the edge of caving and giving him something he wants. Is this how your mother would want a man to treat you? Never mind he's your son, he's coming up on 30 years old and as much as you may think you need to mother him, he hasn't needed a mom in about ten years. You've been giving him the thing he doesn't need the most.

Think about it. What he wants is for you to feel bad. And you do. Then when you feel bad, that makes him feel good. It makes it very difficult to sympathize with you in these circumstances, so I won't coddle you. I think sympathizing with you would indicate that I think it's ok for you to be involved in a relationship with someone who's only desire for you is to make you feel bad so that he can get whatever he wants from you and anyone who cares for you. You're old enough to know better, Susan.

Stand strong. Set yourself free.

Thanks Witz. You are right. I will try and set myself free. I guess he will continue to be homeless. He cannot come home. We cannot help him here. He has choices to make and refuses to make them. His choices not mine.

witzend

Good girl, Susan. You don't deserve to be treated so badly by him.

It's the college visit weekend? Have a wonderful time with your son!

goldenguru

He has choices to make and refuses to make them.

Hi Stands - I just wanted to point out this quote - it really struck me. Actually, he is making his choices. What you probably meant to say is this: He has choices to make and he refuses to make the right ones - or the choices that would lead to his recovery. Big difference.

You are making progress Susan!! You stay strong -

I just cant understand why sometimes. He said he made a list of goals in jail. None of the goals said go to recovery. He thinks he can do it on his own and that he needs his medications. He said he is supposed to go talk to the former boss that has hired him back 3 times before, today. How in the world will he get there and will it work if he is not practicing recovery. We have given him rehabs to call, detox, etc., and he doesnt want to - so that is why he cannot stay here. If he was actively calling and trying to help hiimself if might be different - just keep me staying strong and thanks.

jbrain

Hi Stands,
I would suggest you give up trying to figure out why--you'll drive yourself nuts and it just keeps you focusing on your son. Truly you can feel a big weight lift off your shoulders when you just accept things as they are for now and don't devote so much energy to trying to understand--some things are just not understandable.

Take care,
Jane

Yes, thanks Jbrain but I was trying to think of a shelter he could go to and it seems you have to be at their door between 5 and 6 in the morning with an ID and social security number. How in the world would he get there? This is all so crazy. It just seems hopeless. I cant imagine scrounging around looking for a place to sleep. However, I havent devoted my time to thinking about it all day. I planted flowers with my daughter. We had a lot of fun. She doesnt want to have anything to do with her brother.

jbrain

Yay, I'm glad you planted flowers with your daughter. My easy child son doesn't want to have anything to do with my difficult child 1 dtr either. That's fine, his decision. I know it's hard to understand why someone would live the way they do but I have accepted that if my dtr wanted to do things differently then she would. The chaotic world she lived in (don't know if she still does) would have been horrible for me but it was okay with her.

Hope you have a peaceful Easter, Stands! Enjoy your flowers--it is too soon to plant here, in fact today feels like a winter day!

Jane

thanks JBrain - how long did it take for your daughter to do well after you kicked her out? Did you ever put out a restraiining order? I think I am going to do that. Where do you live? It is a beautiful 80ish day here in South Carolina! Hope it warms up soon.

witzend

Yes, thanks Jbrain but I was trying to think of a shelter he could go to and it seems you have to be at their door between 5 and 6 in the morning with an ID and social security number.

Sounds like a plan, if that's what he wants to plan.

How in the world would he get there?

The same way all the other homeless people get there.

This is all so crazy. It just seems hopeless.

It doesn't seem crazy or hopeless to him, apparently.

I cant imagine scrounging around looking for a place to sleep.

He can. This isn't about where you sleep or live your life, it's about how he sleeps and lives his life.

However, I havent devoted my time to thinking about it all day. I planted flowers with my daughter. We had a lot of fun. She doesnt want to have anything to do with her brother.

She sounds like she is making very good decisions with her life, and that she is a good person for you to spend time with.

Again, I would echo what jbrain said, and what we have said before, you really need to stop trying to figure out why. You will never understand because you are not him and he is not you. Set yourself free.

witzend

Susan, restraining orders are usually issued for violent situations. Has your son been violent? They also are pretty much up to the person who takes them out to enforce. It's not a magic wand that you can wave and it keeps them away, sometimes it makes people more determined to be a part of your life.

The only difference when you have a restraining order happens after you call the police. They get charged with violation of a restraining order. But it doesn't necessarily keep them away, and wouldn't be appropriate if he hasn't been violent.

If he was actively calling and trying to help himself if might be different.

I really don't think it would be different, because he always tells you this is what he will do when you let him come home, and then it's all a lie. What will be different is after he's been to rehab and has stopped using. Then it will be different. Until he stops using, it will be the same.

jbrain

Hi Stands,
well, my dtr managed to get a job and she and her boyfriend managed to con people into renting apts. to them, etc. I don't know if I would say she was doing okay but she was on her own and not coming to us for help all the time. She did try to come home last fall when she was pregnant. She lives all the way across the country from us and said she wanted to come home for a visit. I figured out what she was really up to when she said she was buying a one way ticket! I told her "no" and she was angry and didn't speak to me for a while.

I guess the main thing is I don't really know how much she has changed because I don't see her or talk to her very often any more. But it doesn't really matter because I am able to have a cordial relationship with her and I know I have to keep my boundaries intact. I know she has lived on the streets and in homeless shelters since leaving home but that is her choice. I think I have come to accept that she is not me and what is unimaginable to me is okay with her. She is a stripper--I certainly wouldn't want to do that for a living but she doesn't mind and she can make a lot of money. So, kudos to her!

I live in central New York--we are having sun but it is cold....

Hugs,
Jane

klmno

I just cant understand why sometimes.

Because you've always stepped in with an easier option that prevents him from having to go through with more difficult steps- and if he waits long enough, someone might step in with an easier option this time, too- especially if they are so worried about him.

Think of the kid that holds his breath to get his way. The first time he might hold it for 10 secs. If you give in, the second time the kid might hold his breath for 15 secs waiting for you to give in. After this has happened several times, the kid will hold his breath for 45 secs. Once he learns that it works, he never learns to stop this until you quit giving in and let him pass out.

witzend

You will never understand why because you are not him and he is not you.
I know we've said this to a lot of people before, and someone told it to me a long time ago. It's a really hard concept for most parents to grasp, I think. But it's essential to letting go of your difficult child. This kind of dawned on me this morning as an easier way to apply it to them.

I like subtle foods. Sometimes I like them a little bit spicy, but only if it's supposed to be spicy, and then only a little bit. When I taste food I prefer to be able to taste several different flavors in them, like layers. I like vegetables, lightly sauted or perhaps steamed, with a little olive oil or butter, and maybe just a hint of salt or parmesan.

L likes spice. One of the best things she ever got from me was a bottle of liquid cayenne pepper from Louisiana. She used it on everything. If I had put one bite of her food in my mouth, I would be miserable. But, it doesn't make her miserable. It might give her an ulcer someday, but then again it might not. So, live and let live, I figure.

husband loves meat and potatoes. When I make shepherd's pie, I have a serving, and he has the rest. When we go to a restaurant and he orders something with a "side" dish, if the offers are "potato salad, french fries, green salad, or vegetable", he will order the french fries every time. When I make dinner, I have to tell him to put salad on his plate. If I made tater tots every day, he'd be ecstatic but I make them once a year. This is not how I'd eat. And it's not how I cook, so it's something I can control in my own home. I don't buy french fries or tater tots and we don't eat out at places that serve them unless someone else has chosen the restaurant. I would be a miserable fat gassy slob if I ate that way, and I don't think he should. So, I don't give him the opportunity to do it. But I know that he does. I give him his vitamins and fiber and I don't let it bug me. If I see that he's not putting anything green on his plate I make sure it's on the table and tell him to eat it. But I'm not him and I can't make him a veggie liker, and I won't ever understand how someone can call 'fried chicken, mashed potatoes, mac & cheese, and rolls' a meal. But some people do. It's no skin off of my nose.

I'm disabled, so I have never been a big exerciser. But, I think of it from time to time. I would like to be able to run. I have a friend who has run in over 30 marathons. Most of the year she is training. Getting up at 4:30 in the morning to run 10 miles before she goes to work. Counting every calorie she eats, and measuring every muscle. She gets pulled muscles and torn rotators, and ripped up knees. Honestly, there isn't much I could think of that I would want to get up at 4:30 to do, let alone go for a run in the rain and the dark by myself. But, she likes it. I think what she does is overdoing, but she likes it. Who am I to judge? It's no skin off my nose.

If you really need to think about why your difficult child does what he does, think about someone who likes food you don't like or does activities you would never do. It doesn't have anything to do with you, and you would see the silliness of trying to make them change their ways. It's actually none of your business. Neither are the poor choices your son is making. Unless you bring those poor choices into your house and into your life.

Oh you all are so smart! I understand now that you put it in food terms! It makes sense. It is just so hard to see someone so pitiful and then wonders why. He is forever working hard is someones yard to buy the drugs he wants and then tries to buy his way into someones house to sleep. I sometimes cant believe that this child/adult would rather live that way - I know he needs help and I can see that others send their children/adults to places that are professional and help with personality disorders, dysfunctional, ADHD, etc. - I cannot afford those places that go through all that - so I think if I have to look over my sons coffin am I going to wonder if I did everything I could? I think I will know that I did. I am coming to a point that I am angry (about time). My sister(no children) and my daughter get steaming mad at me. They are always nice but it hurts them to see me hurt. My sister said "you are such a good person and good mother" dont see why he does this - I can say probably because I let him - but I am trying to say no more - and then I wonder where he is at 3 in the morning - how do I get over that feeling? pretend he is in Gods hands - that I have handed him over yet again and still feel that pain in the pit of my stomach when I feel so helpless and try and remember God is in control - (i know I am rambling - i am not totally crazy) gotta stop and go to alanon!

witzend

Did you try the rubber band on the wrist, Susan? It's a good start to stopping intrusive thoughts. It makes sense when you say that your sister and daughter ask why he does it that you ask that question too. But the answer is not that because you let him. He does it for his own reasons. Just like L likes cayenne.

Start a new thread after you go to al-anon? I think the old threads might be keeping you in a rut.