Turned in home/hospital form today for difficult child 1

gcvmom

Here we go again!
While I know this is the right thing to do for him, I feel sad about this. Sigh. It's just one more difficult child aspect of our life.

difficult child 1 is home sick again today because of his IBS, but he is actually feeling better than yesterday. But he still feels sick even though there's no pain right now. He had a bm and felt better. Yesterday I could not get him to do a lick of homework. He went through the motions but ultimately produced nothing.

Even though our psychiatrist had me reduce his Daytrana a few weeks ago to see if that would bring him out more and not be so reserved, I think it hampered his ability to be productive. So today I gave him his usual dose and he seems to be attending to things better.

I spoke at length with the coordinator for the home/hospital instruction program yesterday. She assured me that we would be assigned someone qualified to teach a highschooler. They will probably have to send two people: one for his foreign language and one for the other four subjects. We're aiming for a morning session so that he can maximize the quiet time here while the other two kids are in school. I will be happy if he can keep a 2.0 or better GPA when this is finished. We signed up to have this help through the end of January which is when the semester ends. The goal is to have him transition back to a regular school day second semester, with a resource class added and possibly dropping his foreign language and/or one of his more challenging classes which he would make up in summer school. Our new therapist said he should just skip French and take American Sign Language since it's accepted as a second language by the colleges/universities in our state and would probably be easier for him to learn.

If the transition back to a regular school setting doesn't work, we can go to plan B which is the alternative/independent study high school, which happens to be on his high school campus. He would study one subject for four weeks, then move on to the next subject. He would have weekly meetings with his teacher, and he would be allowed to take up to two classes at his regular school, one of which could be the sports team he's been on. THAT was good to know, since it is one of the few things he really, really looks forward to.

I wish my head was more flexible about this situation, but I'm just struggling with my own "inside-the-box" thinking about how things are "supposed" to be. It's silly, I know. I'll get over it eventually. And he will get through this, too.

Josie

I am sorry. It sound like it is the right thing to do for now, though.

I hope you can find some answers or relief for his health problems.

DazedandConfused

Hi GVC,

I'm so sorry to read of difficult child 1's health issues. Poor thing. It just never seems to end for him and you.

Think you are making the best choice considering the circumstances.

Yes, it's not the regular and "normal" route, but what is important is that he is able to keep up his studies as best as possible. Currently, this isn't possible in a regular school setting. High school is stressful enough; I can't imagine trying to study and learn and cope with pain. Then, not really knowing what is causing it.

Sending positive vibes your and difficult child 1's way that he feels better and you get some answers.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Thank you both :)

The new teacher actually called this afternoon and is coming over tomorrow at 11am to meet difficult child 1 and see where he is with some of his late assignments. Turns out she is qualified to teach all five of his subjects and at his grade level, including French, so this will simplify things considerably. She sounds very nice. She has a 2yo and 5yo and does this home/hospital teaching several days a week. She'll be coming to our house probably twice a week for 2.5 hours each time.

Now to get my diningroom table cleared off so they have a place to work!

KTMom91

I know this wasn't what you wanted for him, but the new teacher sounds like a winner. Hope difficult child will be able to keep up with his schoolwork and not have so much trouble with his IBS under this new plan.

Wiped Out

Staff member
The new teacher does sound wonderful! I'm sorry you needed to go this route. I really hope he gets some relief soon. (((Hugs)))

Jena

just wanted to wish you guys luck with it. i think the work will keep his mind off of it too. hope he's feeling better. my cousin has that and it's painful when it flares.