mazdamama

Daisy...I see the Love Me...Love Me Not under your name and I think "I Hate You Don't Leave Me". I am a newbie and I have not had the time to read through the problems you are having with your daughter but this psychologist sounds like a nut case. When you cannot solve the problem just blame the parent.
Actually my late daugh in law was Borderline Personality Disorder and that is why I bought the book "I Hate You Don't Leave Me" book and the "Stop Walking On Eggshells". I do hope I get to know you better...I am loving this site.....and I wish you the best with the problems you are having.

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
Daisy...I see the Love Me...Love Me Not under your name and I think "I Hate You Don't Leave Me". I am a newbie and I have not had the time to read through the problems you are having with your daughter but this psychologist sounds like a nut case. When you cannot solve the problem just blame the parent.
Actually my late daugh in law was Borderline Personality Disorder and that is why I bought the book "I Hate You Don't Leave Me" book and the "Stop Walking On Eggshells". I do hope I get to know you better...I am loving this site.....and I wish you the best with the problems you are having.

Thanks Maz!

The "Love Me, Love Me Not" is what you are supposed to say when you pluck the petals off a daisy. "He loves me" pluck. "He loves me not" pluck. ...

But yes, now that you mention it - I do see the similarity to "I hate you! - Don't leave me!" It really is the same sentiment, isn't it?

DammitJanet

I hate you dont leave me is the motto of my life! On my other computer I have a site saved that has the most awesome poem that really shows the deep pain that is inside most people with Borderline (BPD). Or at least the pain that I feel. You would never know it to see me in one of my more glorious fits but that is the pain I am feeling at the moment. I know I have posted it here before but dont know if it is still in the memory here.

Marguerite

DF, well done with the "I" statements! I learned that in a series of conflict resolution workshops I have done. Very, very useful. Keep it up - whenever you feel a need to say something tat could be confrontational, express it in "I" terms and not "you" terms and you have a better chance of getting what you want. And your aim should never be to hurt, but to get a positive outcome. I mention that, because people often use "you" statements because they lose track of their goal and instead focus on hurting the other person.

Never lose sight of your goal.

I think I already mentioned that podcast of the radio interview with Tony Attwood - I was horrified to learn, as I listened to tat, just how many psychologists and psychiatrists around the world still subscribe to the "cold mother" theory of cause of autism and Asperger's. He explained that it still is considered a valid theory (only by some) purely because it is easy; it is also a money spinner, since it automatically guides not just the child but the parent, into psychotherapy. "Rent a friend", he called it. You sit there in the shrink's office and talk about yourself in detail, and the therapy never really ends, because your child never stops being autistic. For the doctor it is easy money. To consider they may be WRONG, means not only having to lose an easy cushy job but also to face the fact that for the last how many years, you have done untold damage to a series of patients, not to mention those who never came back after the first suggestion of "cold mother".

So whichever faceless bureaucrat is directing Ms Ally's programs, sounds like they have not kept up with their reading and are just playing by the numbers, pulling out "cold mother" as a necessary staging post. A lot of mothers would at this stage spit the dummy and walk away, confirming the belief that they don't really care. And those that grit their teeth and stick it out become the ongoing problem, until they can be referred to a shrink for therapy (and then become "not my problem" to the service).

So a lot of people trying this page would at some stage walk away. But for those who can stay the course, at the end of it you have a chance of some individualised (because they CAN, when so few people are left!) "non-traditional" support. Because by then, they know a lot about you, including that you will take a lot of crud on your own shoulders in your determination to get help for your child. And THAt earns respect, however grudging.

I still don't seer Ms Ally as the problem. I think she is the front person for someone else who has a problem and is lazy. Ms Ally is the means to eventually get past that hurdle and hopefully get some genuine help.

This sounds a lot like the crud we had to deal with when difficult child 3 was 3 years old, and I had CPS called on us because difficult child 3 was claimed to be "emotionally neglected and not given the necessary stimulation". Yep. Cold mother. In Australia, the land that has Tony Attwood in it!

Idiots...

Marg

H

HaoZi

Perhaps Ms Ally should personally introduce difficult child to her supervisors. I bet they'd start pulling all kinds of non-traditional methods out of their (bleeps) in short order.
Glad that it does sound like she's hearing you even if she has to "just follow orders" and go through every step to push this. Great work on Ms A, too!

Marguerite

HaoZi, that would be wonderful (to get Ms Ally to introduce difficult child to her colleagues) but you need to think about why such people get into this kind of job - often because they just can't hack it, to have to personally deal with difficult children. So they get behind desks and administrate others doing it instead. It's a variation on "those who can, do. Those who can't, teach."

Think about how many people go into medicine as a career because they hate illness and actually can't stand being around sick people. So they get into medicine as a career, with the idea of somehow fixing the problem by eradicating all illness. The worse ones usually end up working in pathology or cosmetic surgery.

Marg

H

HaoZi

I consider pathology pretty interesting.
On intro'ing difficult child to supers? Maybe they'll just give in and let Ms Ally actually do her job without all the excess bull. Yeah, a long shot, but something to daydream about.

Marguerite

HaoZi, pathology IS interesting. It is also a way for doctors to practice medicine without having to actually deal with patients directly.

I agree, it is fun to at least daydream about the bull in the china shop that would be difficult child in the MST offices...

Marg

susiestar

Roll With It
I think ALL agencies that run programs for difficult children should have a requirement that they must run a weekend sleep over camp for all the difficult children - no parents - and they MUST us the behavior charts, etc to accomplish a certain set of goals. Things like hard menial labor, envelope stuffing, teaching certain lessons and actually getting homework done, mandatory exercise, NO video or screen anything.

Then in the summer the top people in MST progs, the ones who tell the Ms. Ally's what to do, must spend a month wtih each of 2 of the most difficult difficult children in their client list (as chosen by US, here on this forum). During that month the difficult child must live with the top person and that person must know what is happening every moment of the day. they MUST make sure that they are responsible for the difficult child and the consequences of the difficult child behavior.

I guarantee that things would change.

mazdamama

I love it!! would be great for THEM to see what WE go through in a normal day instead of the short time they are with our children.

InsaneCdn

Unfortunately, all that would happen is major staff turnover... and a fresh crop of bureaucrats to break in (again).
Repeat ad nauseum.

The only people who put up with difficult children are those with a vested interest... as in, US - (some) parents, step-parents, grand-parents, maybe siblings...

on the other hand... the ONE school adminstrator who really cut us some slack and started the process of figuring out what works, was someone with a difficult child of her own. Figures!
Hmmm... maybe THAT should be part of the job requirements... "must be the parent of a difficult child child".

(not that I think we'll see that any time soon...)

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
I think ALL agencies that run programs for difficult children should have a requirement that they must run a weekend sleep over camp for all the difficult children - no parents - and they MUST us the behavior charts, etc to accomplish a certain set of goals. Things like hard menial labor, envelope stuffing, teaching certain lessons and actually getting homework done, mandatory exercise, NO video or screen anything.

Then in the summer the top people in MST progs, the ones who tell the Ms. Ally's what to do, must spend a month wtih each of 2 of the most difficult difficult children in their client list (as chosen by US, here on this forum). During that month the difficult child must live with the top person and that person must know what is happening every moment of the day. they MUST make sure that they are responsible for the difficult child and the consequences of the difficult child behavior.

I Love It!!! LOL!

Seriously, though....I DO think having to spend a lot of time with difficult children would give these people a much better idea of what parents are up against day after day after day. I mean, anyone can do just about anything if they get to punch out at 5 and go home to peace and relaxation. It's the constant, never-ending vigilance that difficult children require that pushes us warrior parents to the edge....and yet our stress and fatigue is completely ignored because, well, you're the parents!

H

HaoZi

And that one month timer doesn't start until they're out of the honeymoon phase.

DammitJanet

InsaneCdn, I think that is why I loved my former therapist so much. She understood me and my world exactly because she had a difficult child of her own that was the same age as my youngest son. In fact, they casually knew each other!