Tutoring

M

ML

d started his summer routine this week. T and TH he has tutoring. MWF he has daycamp activities and at night, Taekwando.

For the most part, it's been a good (and full) week. He did have a meltdown last night after the class. He just cried out of frustration. It's a pretty strict class. It's discipline he needs sorely. I see a lot of pushups in his future lol. Last night they got the lecture about paying attention and showing respect and what the consequences are for the lack thereof.

I am home now listening to the tutor try to work with him. He's being very ornery and oppositional. Won't/can't sit still. He's using a high pitched voice while reading, not taking it seriously, showing off, begging to stop after x number more pages, just generally difficult.

I see the psychiatrist next week. I'm going to ask to put him on a low dose ms. It's clearly time. He has been such a jerk lately. He's been extremely oversensitive and reactive. I hate this.

I was wondering if it's possible that the oppositional behavior will improve at all if his moods stabilize? I need something to hold onto here.

I feel sorry for the tutor!

ML

LittleDudesMom

Michele,

Just my personal opinion here, but I think the right medications for his mood issues will definately improve/lessen the oppositional behavior coupled with behavior mod. I think there is a control compent, sometimes burried deeply, within all our difficult children.

Sounds like the summer schedule is just as busy as the other ten months of the year! Hope the tutor hangs in there!

Sharon

smallworld

I can't remember your difficult child's whole history, specifically what kind of evaluations he's had and what medications he's already trialed. I mention this because oppositional behavior can emanate from many sources, and to my way of thinking, the underlying cause does determine the medication choices. So it's difficult for me to tell you that the oppositional behavior will improve when it's not entirely certain your son has a mood disorder.

For my son, medications have uncategorically made him less oppositional and more cooperative. But I'll have to be honest with you -- it took us 4 years of hard medication trials, evaluations and even day treatment to get to this point. And the medications he's taking aren't without their down sides. While his current medications significantly lessen his anxiety and improve his depressive symtpoms, they undoubtedly affect his wakefulness and attention. You really have to do a cost-benefit analysis with each medication trial.

I'm sorry I can't throw you more than a thread to hang onto . . .

M

ML

d's had evaluations at the Autism clinic and at the pediatric psychiatrist. Initially he was diagnosis with anxiety (Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD), social and separation) and ADHD. He also has Sensory Integration stuff and some signs of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD), especially with food textures. Though he never met a sugar product he didn't like. Tried prozac, immediate increase in bad attitude and aggression. Then we tried Celexa and it was pretty good for about 6-8 months. His meltdowns decreased and his anxiety was better. Then, his power eating became a concern as his weight ballooned up. I saw him self medicate with food. The psychiatrist said to try increasning the Celexa to 15 mg from 10 and I saw increased ODD and more oversensitivity over-reactiveness. More emotionally fragile, more hyper. Some of the wise folks here mentioned the possiblity of hypomania and I think they were right. My gut tells me that an AD isn't the answer, at least not by itself. His moods and hyperactivity and ADHDness are the biggest issues right now. I am thinking of asking the psychiatrist to please let us try trileptal and then go from there.

Thanks for letting me talk about this stuff over and over again. You are all so patient.

smallworld

Michele, my son's first diagnosis at age 9 was ADHD (inattentive) and anxiety. He had manic reactions to every SSRI and SNRI antidpressant (about 5 in total) he ever trialed. Mood stabilizers have improved his mood. His most recent neuropsychologist evaluation 1.5 years ago ruled out ADHD and instead attributed his inattentiveness to mood regulation issues.

Dxes can morph and change as the child grows and changes. Unfortunately, it's impossible to predict how a child will react to a certain medication until he tries it.