Two more months till Summer!

Californiablonde

I can't wait. I love the warmer weather. Here in California we have wacky weather. It doesn't usually start to warm up till the end of June. I love the summer time. I officially start my summer break the 30th and go back to work September 1st. It is a well deserved two months off. Of course by the end of the first month I'm going crazy being a stay at home mom to two difficult children, but it's still a nice vacation none the less. What are your plans for the summer?

Californiablonde

Sorry to hear that Insane Cdn. When both difficult children were at the "cool age" before the preteen years hit, they used to be a joy to be around in the summer. Every day we would spend at least two hours at the pool, go to the beach, and go to the park. Now they're too old for parks and they get tired of the pool within a half hour. I've tried to get them both into sports but they hate it so I gave up. Now that they're older they pretty much want nothing to do with me. difficult child 1 is on her cell phone constantly and difficult child 2, who is obsessed with video games, is practically glued to the computer. Still I appreciate being able to sleep in and having all day to accomplish every day tasks, like laundry, housecleaning, and grocery shopping instead of being rushed after work. Plus no homework...woohoo! I definitely look forward to summer every year (plus I get a break from seeing my nasty coworker!)

InsaneCdn

Oh no, don't get me wrong.
Mine are actually a joy to be around... as long as I can have them productively occupied.
But... it either takes tons of time or loads of money to do that... and right now, I don't have either.

Californiablonde

I have the time but no money. We go to the cheap $2 theater to see movies so that helps. Of course the pool is free but the kids seem to have lost interest since they've gotten older. Going to the beach doesn't even thrill them anymore. difficult child 2 has plenty of boys his age to play with at our complex but he's very anti-social and does not like to go outside. Both difficult children are usually content being by themselves, although fights do break out occasionally.

I love the beach. I live 20 minutes away and just enjoy reading my book and swimming in the ocean. Yeah, I bring a bottle of wine and love my life when I'm there. It's my Zen spot. I like to go alone or with husband, but he is a pain because he gets sick of it after 3 hours, I won't work this summer and can go every day. I will even buy a piece of pizza for lunch!

Californiablonde

I love the beach too, upallnight. Unfortunately both difficult children are burnt out on it. They used to play in the water for at least a couple of hours while I sunbathed but now I'm lucky if I can get them to stay about a half hour. Same thing with the swimming pool. I had a much better tan back when they used to like to swim a lot, lol. You gave me a good idea. Maybe I'll get my new man to take me with a good bottle of wine.

SRL

I've been substitute teaching in a middle school these days. Needless to say, summer can't come soon enough for me.

buddy

Me too...NOT looking forward to it because I already had two months of my son at home and just got him into school! Our kids are out June 8 and start after Labor Day. Three long months of stress. Q has ESY but it is one month....four days per week (two of which are off for the 4th of July) and it is only for 3.5 hours in the morning. Last summer was a blast, but he was not aggressive much at all and we went to the pool nearly every day. This year I fear he will not be able to handle being around kids at the pool without getting too out of control and I fear a horrible scene.... I know I am worried about something two months away but I doubt there will be ThAT much progress by then. UGGG....

I did hear that the boy Q emulated the most will be gone all summer in a guard training thing so that is one very very good thing. The family that I am closest to will be in Egypt and I will miss them but their oldest and Q have issues, she is a pretty girl and brings other pretty girls aroudn and they are all GIRLS....he is obsessed and they are snarky so those have been our biggest issues when they are around. I pray their being gone thru till Aug will be a blessing!

I am glad for most of the kids but this is the first year I am not thrilled for summer vacation (and I LOVE the heat and summer weather)...I think we will do lots of beaches too, they tend to go much better for us.