Typical teen or not?

crazymama30

easy child has me a little worried. She just turned 13, and she is more of a handful than difficult child(of course this is the medicated difficult child)! Some examples

We are going on an overnight trip tommorrow, will go to a kids type museum on Monday, stay at a motel and then the zoo then home on Tuesday. My mom had a gameboy and let difficult child borrow it. easy child was ticked that she would have nothing to do. I told her I would make difficult child share, so then she threw a fit because she does not like the games he has. She said in a very snotty tone that she would just annoy us. I sent her to her room to put her clothes away.

She went to a friends house the other day and stayed the night and then went to a small county fair. difficult child and I walked the dogs in the woods off leash, and went to the bread store and bought goodies for our trip. When she came home she got mad because I took difficult child to do things and because there were no goodies left except the ones for the trip. I reminded her that she got to stay overnight at a friends, and she got fair food. She then starts in on the I always do things with difficult child kick. Whining and the whole nine yards. I told her I would take her but she does not like fishing (difficult child and I have done that several times lately), she does not wake up untill afternoon and we leave in the morning most times and I cannot afford to take her shopping all the time.

She is just consistently snotty and rude and picks fights with difficult child constantly. I am getting real tired of it. She is also trying to be involved in everyone elses's business.

Is this just teen girl behavior? I wasn't this bad untill I hit 15 to 17, then it was all downhill from there.

Wiped Out

Staff member
I'm probably not the best person to answer this as I have been trying to figure out if my own easy child is a difficult child or typical teen. What you are describing sounds like typical teen behavior to me but again, I'm no expert.

I'm so tired of that snotty type attitude from easy child. She's 16 and we are starting to see a bit (just a small bit) of better attitude kick in at times.

Hugs, I know how hard it is.

mstang67chic

Going Green
Had I had a sibling when I was 13 (and a difficult child at that)....I suspect that I would have acted the same way. Something about that age just flips a switch with girls.

I'd give you my mom's number but I'd never live it down! LOL

BusynMember

My daughter is snotty sometimes too. She's 13. I don't think it's unusual. Did she just get her period? My daughter is really difficult when she has it, and I try to leave her alone :tongue: Having said that, I'd put a lid on it now. If she's really a typical teen she will respond somewhat to groundings and removing of cell phones and electronics, even though she may pout the entire time she's restricted. They pass into difficult child territory when they don't care what we say or think, and when they refuse to be disciplined.

DazedandConfused

My leaning is to typical teen. I was a easy child, but oh my! I had one smart mouth on me! I think my Mom wanted to slap it right off my face and stomp on it until it was flat as a tortilla.

Just think...you've only just begun.:faint:

Last edited:

everywoman

typical teen---I didn't know if I would survive Jana from 13-15----but of course, she is a princess (just ask she and her daaaaddy). But we did survive, and it does get better.

susiestar

Roll With It
It sound like the reason my dad wanted to put me in a barrel from age 12 to 21. He figured that would be a great use for all those orange highway barrels. (He told me when I was little that he planned to do that with me. My mom like to have strangled him for that!)

You have to set some clear limits and stick to them. Take away her phone, tv, radio, mp3, whatever works to motivate her. Let her know you will reward good behavior but will punish rude/unacceptable behavior swiftly and strongly. Parenting Teens with Love and Logic is great help with this, in my opinion.

crazymama30

Thank you guys, this is what I thought. I do have parenting teens with love and logic, and will have to re read it. Sometimes it is hard to learn new tricks. I think I have put a lot of time and effort into parenting difficult child, and now I need to do the same with easy child.

Fwiw, she has not even started her period yet. I have been hoping that when she does maybe it will get better. If it gets worse, maybe I will just do what susie's dad wanted to and put her in a barrel. That is not abuse unless I push her over Niagra falls is it? lol

Lothlorien

If you can get her to take vitamins, I would put her on a good vitamin regimen, especially vitamin B and magnesium. Vitamin B really helps with the mood swings during hormonal changes.

maril

I don't have advice to add - just understanding and, also, hugs to you. I see in your sig that your daughter gets frustrated with her brother. My daughter, now grown, also, would become frustrated and had a hard time dealing with her little brother, difficult child. When she lived at home, I went to great lengths to try to keep things "equal," but daughter still would remark how bro had it better than her, lol. ;) He did have more challenges in school, etc., than she and needed extra help with those challenges. Of course, she was a typical teen and it did take time to work through issues; it's better now that she is on her own and doesn't have to live with difficult child anymore.

My sympathy to you. School will be starting soon...then mom gets a break? :D

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
This sounds a lot like me when I was that age. And I didn't have any siblings! But then... I think I was more typical teen than difficult child. Not sure my parents would agree, but then...

When Onyxx acts typical teen on me it's almost a relief from the situational difficult child she can be. It's a cakewalk compared to what we went through before!!!

crazymama30

I have been pretty lax about vitamins lately, but will pick it back up. I used to have her take b complex, a calcium, flax seed (for omega 3's) and a mulit vit. I will go back to that and add the magnesium.

How much magnesium? Does it help with overall mood stability or just hormonal issues?

gcvmom

Here we go again!
All I can say is that I'm trembling in fear of what lies ahead for me!!! :scared: If vitamins will help, then I'm ordering a pallet load TODAY!

BusynMember

Hey ;) my daughter was at her absolute worst just BEFORE she was going to get her period. Maybe that's working on her. Once they get it, you can sort of figure on a few crabby days a month :tongue:. I'd chalk it up to hormones. It doesn't sound like anything worse than that. And just watch. Bet she does get her period within the year.

DammitJanet

Id say typical teen too. While I didnt have teen girls, teen boys can be a bear too. I used to want to knock Jamies teeth down his throat. He always wanted to get the last word in every time we said anything. Even if it was always just "Ok". LOL. Drove me batty! And the time Cory went to wilderness camp, you would have sworn he was the one who needed to go. Cory skipped off happily while Jamie was throwing a meltdown of epic proportions. It took about 2 months of Cory being gone before Jamie settled back down into his typical self. It was like he was doing everything he could do to get us to send him away!

crazymama30

I really hope something happens. I don't know how those of you with more than 2 difficult child's deal with it, I feel like I have 3 right now and I may join the ranks soon! At least then I am not out numbered!