Ugh. 3 Fs on his progress report

TerryJ2

Sigh.
He's grounded off of all video games, computer games, you name it.
We are having a conference with-the teacher next wk, probably the same day we have to put down the dog.
Other than THAT, things are going well.

M

ML

Oh man. Manster had a d- on math on progress report. My guess is he'll wind up with a c+ and eek by. Maybe I should consider grounding (from electronics; he never leaves the house lol). You are such a strong parent and I always learn from you. I'm the mush parent who alway says "as long as you do your best". I will try harder to set the bar higher :) Love and hugs, ML

house of cards

Well, I guess the good news is it is a progress report and he has time to improve it. This time of year Major's grades take a dive as well. I admire that you still have the energy to fight for better effort from your difficult child. I'm to the point where I just want the knowledge in him and don't care about the grade.

I am so sorry about your dog, I believe you are doing the right thing but it sure hurts, hugs.

TerryJ2

Thank you.

I have no idea if my difficult child has the knowledge in him at all.

He did get an A on his Soc Studies test the other day.

I just don't get it.

klmno

Sorry, Terry. I know that hoovers. I wonder if he's on any medications that are causing cognitive dulling? Have you noticed any changes in memory ability since his latest medication changes?

TerryJ2

No. Actually, he's been more conversational.
He even asked how it went with-easy child at the psychiatric's ofc.
And he got an A on his Soc Studies test.
I will specifically ask the teacher about cognitive dulling but I'm betting it's an attitude thing.

K

Kjs

Is this a pattern with him (as it is MY difficult child?) doesn't do anything, gets all F's on progress, then works his butt off the last two weeks and passes. Every year.

I am making him stay after now and he is getting tutored by a teacher.

Is that an option?

Thinking of you today re- dog.

artana

Terry,

My difficult child just failed Reading. He failed mostly because of participation. We talked to the teacher. The teacher has given him a little "menu" that tells him exactly what he has to participate in every day to get his grade up. He loves it. His participation has gotten much better.

I'm wondering if there is something like this. Could it be that he does not really have a feel for what parts of the classroom experience contribute to his grade and what paarts don't? Maybe a concrete list of exactly what contributes would help.

I don't know your difficult child, so just randomly brainstorming. I hope he learns from these grades and pulls them up before the report card.

ThreeShadows

Quid me anxia?
We spent tons of money having our sons tutored. The tutor noticed that, when she spent a lot of time and effort on ONE subject, they would improve in that subject BUT their grades went down in all other sujects. It was a weird kind of pattern. She couldn't figure it out.

TerryJ2

Yes, difficult child does go up and down and up and down. It's not just at the end of the yr. But you really have to stay on him.

Good news/bad news: the teacher sent out a mass email to all the parents saying that she had heard back from several parents that they are alarmed by the progress reports. She had all the kids go through their backpacks, desks and cubbies and found many missing papers, some of which she graded on the spot.
So difficult child is in good company, so to speak.
She emailed me personally and said he is doing ISS suspension so he can get caught up. The last time they did this, he did it in 2 days, so I suspect this will be the same.

He won't be getting A's on his final rept card but it won't be F's, either.

We had a bit of a go-round tonight. husband, difficult child and I sat at the kitchen table while I read the emails and he had a fit. Not half as bad as what he used to do, mind you, but still very much of an attitude, including the old standby, "I don't care."

He even refused to go to (gasp!) baseball.
But husband got him to go.
difficult child is more bluff than anything.

After baseball, difficult child was in a much better mood, especially when he came home to 2 homemade rice crust pizzas.

He did a bunch of chores and I gave him back the PS2 controller for 2 hrs.

Tomorrow, we'll have to do it all over again. Glad I have a lock on my ofc door to hide that controller!

It gets old being a Warrior Mom.