UGH! Give a difficult child an inch...

greenrene

And they run a freaking marathon.

After a loooooooooooooooooong grounding from the Internet, many many talks/lectures about appropriate social media behavior, etc, difficult child was, a few days ago, given permission to use the computer. She wanted to play on MovieStarPlanet. She was told ok, but only to play with the outfits and stuff, no chatting.

I just discovered that she has been posing as a boy and messaging with girls pretending to "date" them.

Just when we were talking about getting her a phone (with Watchdog software installed, of course) again.

I'm so annoyed that the FIRST THING SHE DOES when given a teensy bit of privilege is to abuse it! WTH???

Back to no computer, I guess. This child is her own worst enemy.

InsaneCdn

She can't HANDLE the computer.
Either that or you need stronger parental controls software - the kind that lets you turn off ALL IM, chat, email, etc. for a particular account...

JJJ

Eeyore is now past 18 months of no Facebook, etc. he CANNOT handle it.

I think our kids just do not get it.

SuZir

Social media, phones etc. certainly make raising kids more difficult. Even PCs are prone to screw up with them and with difficult children they give so many new opportunities to make a mess.

And it is so damned if you do, damned if you don't thing too. With young kids it's quite easy to simply ban them. But when kids start to get closer to adulthood, you simply have to teach them to handle these things. They are part of the modern world and kids need skills to handle them. And those skills can be very difficult to teach for difficult children. Many of them really struggle with understanding what is private and what is public and most of them struggle in anticipating all the possible consequences when they say something. It is so easy for them to mess up.