Ugh. husband home for two days now...

gcvmom

Here we go again!
because of fatigue. I just can't figure out what's up with this man. The CPAP is helping, but then he told me after the first or second week he was waking up every morning at 4:30am for no apparent reason. Then he'd go back to sleep and wake up a few hours later even more tired.

For a few nights, he was staying up until maybe 11pm, which is unusual for him lately only because of the sleep problems because he was going to bed at 9-ish before that. But he's been getting more done lately since starting the CPAP. This weekend he even got some chores done and worked more on some unfinished projects.

He went to work Monday, but couldn't sleep that night and asked for the Klonopin the sleep doctor rx'd to help him settled down at night. I never filled it because we still had some leftover from when difficult child 2 was taking it. But went ahead and gave husband 1mg per his new rx instructions. Yesterday morning he just couldn't wake up -- very groggy, and decided he didn't want to take Klonopin anymore. Fine. He decides to stay home from work. Went back to sleep at 9:30am and didn't get up until 4:30pm!!!

Last night (no Klonopin) he went to sleep around 11pm. This morning, he says he's tired again, doesn't feel like going to work, and having some... er... arousal issues that only I can help him with if you Know what I mean?... :ashamed: Sorry, but I don't have time to lounge around all day with him. Maybe I'm being insensitive, but today's not a good day for this.

So I'm thinking, WTH? Get your :censored2: out of bed and go to work! Arrggh!
I've been bugging him to increase his Trileptal back up to his orignal levels (neuro had let him halve it because he was so tired all the time, and when we last met with neuro, he said that if the CPAP worked for the fatigue husband should go back up to where he was before and that he might even bump him higher since he was still having seizures at the old level and it was just a coincidence he hasn't had many lately). So he finally started back up at his previous level yesterday.

So now I'm wondering if I should call one of his doctors to figure out what's going on. This just isn't normal and it's really bugging me. So who do I call: GP, ndoc, psychiatrist or sleep doctor? :confused:

Is he depressed? Is he "cycling" (I'm convinced he's cyclothymic)? Is he not using his CPAP correctly? (He still snores some nights and refuses to wear the chin strap they gave him). Where's the EASY button to fix this?

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
I can't address the other issues (other than I am jealous you had the offer to lounge around in bed all day) - but he has GOT to wear that chin strap, otherwise, he is breaking the suction of the mask rendering the who purpose moot.

Marcie

gcvmom

Here we go again!
That's what I thought, too, Marcie.

I called the sleep doctor's office this morning (since they had called for husband several days ago for an update and I KNOW he never called them back) and told them what's going on. His followup appointment isn't until next week, but they said he should probably come in sooner to see the respiratory therapist for an assessment. Whenever he wakes up today I'll have him call to set it up for tomorrow or Friday.

I also called the neuro just to make sure they knew we went ahead with the dosage bump back up to his previous level.

I swear I'm gonna start calling husband "difficult child 4" if this keeps up.

smallworld

I think it's good that you're checking in with his sleep doctor and the neuro.

FWIW, my daughter had a lot of problems with early awakenings when she was taking Paxil. We did need to give her a sleep to get her to sleep through the night. Klonopin may not be the right one, but if he ends up needing a sleep medication, maybe the docs can figure something else out.

Good luck.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Okay, so he's going in tomorrow morning to the sleep center to meet with the respiratory therapist. Yay.

The neuro's office called back and said to hold off on increasing the Trileptal unitl husband goes back on the 26th (great.) -- although he was SUPPOSED to go back this week but procrastinated in making the appointment so that's the soonest he could get in. I really wish this ndoc weren't so rigid about treating patients in between appointments. He's told us before he doesn't "like practicing medicine over the phone." Give me a break. It's not like we're asking to do something extraordinary. If our psychiatrist didn't practice medicine over the phone, someone here would have self destructed a loooong time ago!

husband and I went to lunch early and when we returned, he went back to bed to sleep.

Sheesh.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Do you think maybe he can try something different to help him calm down at night? I think they gave Dude Tegretol and if he takes it - he's OUT like a baby - babaaaaay.

Sorry you are having 4 difficult child's - that's why God gave you 4 wonderful easy child Chickens.

(oh is that a phone book coming my way?)

DammitJanet

I really am trying to think of something to help....ummm. The klonopin can be halved. .5 may be a better dose. I take that at night along with ambien. Or ask if they can try ambien alone...I have been on it for years so yes you can take it for a long time. Ambien doesnt have that morning hangover if you get 8 hours sleep.

I have no clue about the CPAP though I think my husband needs one terribly but he doesnt have insurance so its a moot point. We just started using one of those over the counter snoring sprays and it has been working really well...knock on wood! The man would keep me awake even when I took 9 pills at night...lol.

Maybe he is playing the tired and fatigued card because he is trying to get you with the arousal card. Could he be after more time with you?

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Arousal issues. Ha! With what you have to deal with, what with 4 G'sFG now. I would throw a Saucy mag at him and tell him to go and lounge in the bathroom, ALONE!
As if. That is pretty funny
I do hope they figure out the other stuff though, chin strap!
I got husband to start wearing those nasal strips, he tried to *arouse* me and make the moves on me, I took one look at him and started laughing, rolled right over... poor guy!
Hey, they deserve it once in awhile.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Maybe he is playing the tired and fatigued card because he is trying to get you with the arousal card. Could he be after more time with you?

He's playing something alright -- and he ALWAYS wants more time with me. I know, I shouldn't complain, but it's to the point that everything else gets neglected around here. I'm sorry, somebody has to be the grown up, and apparently I'm IT.

Grrrrr.... nothin' worse than a whiner.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Hey, they deserve it once in awhile.

Yeah... I'm all for that, but he's obsessive.

Like the difficult child who gets STUCK on something and they can't let it go and if you tell them they can't have it NOW or they have to WAIT. Oh my friggin' goldfish! Before he started medications it would be a nuclear meltdown because his entire world revolves around this one thing. Now he just gets a little pissy and whiny.

What was that? You want me to stay home, raise three difficult child's pretty much on my own, take care of the house, the finances, the taxes, the cars, the weeds, the laundry, the shopping, the social calendar, the medical issues, the pets, the whatever you find too mundane to deal with and you want me to be at your beck and call for whatever you want whenever you want no matter what I'm feeling? Are you SMOKIN' something?

Okay. Not a good week for him to get whiny on me. :mad:

gcvmom

Here we go again!
He's home AGAIN! Something he ate yesterday... had him running to the bathroom. So much for his appointment today. Oh, and he said he took yesterday off partly because he thought it would look weird to just miss one day of work. :confused: Well, now it's gonna be THREE days off work.

I think it was the Mexican food he had for lunch. There's a spice we haven't yet identified that messes him up.

DammitJanet

Ok....I hear ya! Bad hubby...bad bad hubby! Ya know, Im surprised the paxil doesnt keep this in check. The fact that this is breaking thru the anti-depressant is really odd. I shudder to think what he would be like without it...lol. Ya see...I can imagine what he would be like because I have been there. Oh the stories I could tell...but not here...lmao.

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
Hi GCV--

I just wanted to pop in with a little advice:

1) You need to tell husband that just because he HAS the CPAP....it's not gonna help with the fatigue unless he actually uses it properly.

2) If he wants a little extra "snuggle time"...you need to make it clear that your "turn-ons" include:

a) walking the dog
b) washing the dishes
c) balancing the checkbook

and whatever else you need done around the house before you will be "in the mood".

3) husband should be banned from Mexican food on "work" nights

;)

Go get him!!

--DaisyF

Last edited: