Ugh -- taking Whiskers to the vet in the morning (gross alert)

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Seems we have a sick kitteh on our hands. He vomited his kibble this morning, and then a bit more bile on the carpet (lovely) this afternoon. He's been unusually quiet all day and just does not look like he feels well at all. Took his rectal temp just a bit ago and it's above normal (103.5). I sure hope this is not something serious or expensive, especially after the beaucoup bucks we spent last year on emergency surgery for our other cat Harley.

InsaneCdn

Oh dear. Could be something he ate that he wasn't supposed to... or a major hairball?

Pets! They are not exactly cheap.
Remind me again of why we have these expensive critters around?

Oh. Yah. Lets see... 24/7 therapist, popular alarm clock, exercise police, and probably 100 more reasons.
(counting up the $$$$$).
Yup. Still worth it.

{{hugs}} though - its always tough until you know what's going on.

Steely

Poor pumpkin....it's probably something simple like a bladder infection or a little flu bug. The vet will just charge you out the ying yang for his expertise. Oh well, it's we do for our fuzzbutts.
by the way how on earth did you manage to get a thermometer up your cats rear -lol? You get major kudo points for that mission:)

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I doubt it's bladder related since he's eats the same prescription-only bladder-health kibble the other cat eats (that one had a blocked ureter and had emergency diversionary surgery last year). It could be a bug -- he occasionally goes out in the yard and there is a cat that roams through periodically (and amazingly hasn't been found by the coyotes yet), and we get other critters in the yard (rabbits, squirrels, skunks) that could be disease carriers. He does get hairballs even though he's a short-haired cat. But he usually manages to barf them up. He IS known to eat things he shouldn't, like rubber bands, hair bands, balloons, etc. But I don't recall there being anything like that lying around lately. We found a dead bird in the yard today, not sure if he had anything to do with it yesterday... or if that would make him sick, though we do have West Nile in our area.

Who knows. I guess we'll be visiting the vet in the morning.

As for the thermometer adventure? Whiskers has been laying on my stair landing all day, so I gave husband a bath towel and had him lay it over him and hold him steady while I used a digital thermometer that had a double plastic sleeve over the tip with a little vaseline. Whiskers just laid there -- I could tell he wasn't enjoying it, but he didn't go psycho on us either. I think he just really feels crummy right now. :(

susiestar

Roll With It
Poor guy. I hope he feels better soon. You know when they don't protest the temp taking that tehy are truly feeling yucky. I hope he gets well soon.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Awww...

Possum purrs while having his temp taken. But he's weird.

From the vomiting you describe - he may have swallowed string of some sort. AngelKitten did this once... No surgery, thank Goodness, but she had to be subcutaneously rehydrated...

Let us know how he is, OK?

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Well they took xrays -- no sign of anything obvious and no obstructions. Took blood, gave him some sub-Q fluids (at my request instead of an IV which I figured would be more $$) and sent us on our way with amoxicillin and reglan. He finally came downstairs a little bit ago and walked around, so I know he's feeling a little better. Still not eating and not interested in water. We'll get the lab results on Monday. He's been drinking out of the toilet a bit lately, so I'm hoping it's just a bug he picked up from there.... and we're keeping the lids down now just in case!

I had to laugh cuz after chatting with the vet a bit he asked if I have a medical background (I think my vocab sets off alarms because I get doctors asking me that, too). I just laughed and said no, but my family has a lot of medical issues that have required me to do a lot of reading. :winks:

H

HaoZi

Hope he's feeling better soon. Some drink out of toilets because the porcelain makes the water cooler than what's in their bowls, and because it's flushed periodically it's fresher than their bowls, too. As long as it's cleaned and flushed it shouldn't hurt him, plenty of pets prefer toilet water with no problem.

Star*

call 911........call 911
The forbidden bowl............Casper thinks it's JUST for him. I had to stop using chemical cleaners and start using just vinegar so as to avoid any thought of leftover chemicals. Vinegar and baking soda do just fine and we try to keep the lid down.

Hope your kitten is feeling well soon. FYI - we put ice cubes in a metal raised dish (casp is so tall) in the morning........and it stays pretty close to toilet temp all day ------they like that. I told him (casper) if it was something else? He was on his own. We bought a new toilet for the spare bath and I thought he was going to have a fit ----"A NEW WATER BOWL JUST FOR ME"..........not likely........but it was a thought. And now there it sits ----nine months later -------out in the yard......on the porch.......next to the shop...........uninstalled...........sigh........Could have been that schmancy new dog dish afterall.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
He was MUCH perkier this evening. Ate a little food. Came downstairs and wandered around, hopped up into a chair to sit with easy child. VERY good sign. He's chowing down again as I type this, so I'm thinking the fluids and the medications have helped. Hopefully Monday's lab results are benign.

DammitJanet

G....this does sound gross but since you said he had been noticed drinking out of the potty...I had a dog once that had that habit and we noticed she was feeling under the weather one time. Turns out what it was, was that one of the boys hadnt been flushing regularly after they were peeing and she was drinking out of their toilet! That made her sick. Once I cured that little issue with the offending child, and fed her plenty of rice and broth, she perked right on up.

Made offending child clean said bathroom with a toothbrush too!