ugly morning - he won't go to school

i'm the one with the fatherless son who just lost his grandfather 2 weeks ago. he's refusing to get out of bed, crying, mean, nasty, mad at me, gritting his teeth and hyperventilating. this is terrible. he already wore me out with his 3 yrs of destructive behavior, I don't have the patience I should have for the situation at this point. Definitely need to force him into grief counseling but he's 16 and won't get out of bed! not sure how I will get him to go!

Gah!!

Calamity Jane

I went through something similar when my son was 16 also. I sought help from the school, and they were very cooperative. They arranged for twice weekly sessions with the school psychologist for him (which he resented most of the time), but they also gave me the phone number of a very good psychiatrist who specialized in adolescents, drug use and adoption. He was a Godsend. Our lives were insane at that time, and while it wasn't a magic bullet, the psychiatric. visits kept us all from completely unraveling.
I know how hard it is when they refuse to go to school and are defiant. It's so difficult to not reduce yourself to that level of ugliness when you're tired, out of ideas, etc.

Kathy813

Staff member
I agree with CJ. Call the counseling office and let them know what is going on. You are not the only one going through this. They might have some good resources for you. Also, that way it will be on record that you sought help for his truancy. Some states are holding parents accountable if the child refuses to go to school.

~Kathy