Unemployment Vent

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
husband's benefits will run out in Sept from this latest extension. There should be no more extensions. Actually there should not have been last time, but Ohio's unemployment rate was so high, they extended it again.

So, in preparation, we looked into what little retirement he has. It would do next to nothing to have it paid out monthly. I couldn't even buy a month's worth of food with it with coupons. Laughable. So turns out he can take it out all at once. Turns out that way to be a nice little sum of cash. Great. I hold on to it and it should last a very long time.

So he sent in the paperwork to withdrawal this retirement. Like a good little citizen, he informs unemployment that he did so. Now we didn't have a clue in the world how long it would take for him to get the retirement benefits, he was just applying for the darn thing.

We haven't seen an unemployment check since. First they had to check the application. Now they have to have the company verify the actual amt and when we'll get it. Meanwhile this is the 2nd wk with no check. And as you know when you're living on unemployment, no check throws you into chaos. You're barely surviving as it is.

The check won't arrive until the 9th or so. AFTER husband's unemployment benefits run out. Which, of course, was the entire point of doing this. The way it looks right now, we won't be getting an unemployment check either. When there is no reason for us NOT to get the checks.

So mad right now I could spit fire. Told husband next time ask me before he does such a stupid thing. If there was no way the money would arrive while he was drawing unemployment then it was none of their flippin business we were taking that money out. I can understand them wanting to make sure we're not trying to commit fraud, but they've already seen when the check is supposed to arrive.........so wth is the flipping problem?

Only thing saving us.......the stockpile.

klmno

Hon, I feel the pain and know it well. Remember, I was a day away from being homeless when I got this job. Do you know how I got this job? Cr***list, believe it or not. I put an ad in (free) saying EVERYTHING I was experienced in and credentials, etc. And then I prayed. While it's no secret that i don't want this job forever, I am sure grateful that I got a call that led to an interview that I thought had a 80% chance of being a hoax, and that led to a job offer and here I am. If he is capable of working, throw out to the world any and all things he "can help someone with" and take whatever seems like legitimate work- even temp work.

In the meantime, I'll keep you in my thoughts. I know how stressful it is to not have a clue how you'll survive in the future and how much it hurts to deplete what you have worked for and saved for so long.

DDD

Sending very understanding hugs your way. In a million years I never thought I would be 70 and have no security. It's scarey! DDD

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Janet, husband is already drawing his SS, that is what is keeping us the house. That is the check we make the house payment with, what's left over helps to cover other bills....after the house payment though, it doesn't go very far with the other bills.

And yes, he can take this money without penalty, he's old enough. Thank goodness.

I just don't get why unemployment has their panties in a knot in the first place. We won't see a dime of this money until after his benefits were due to run out. Sometimes I could just smack him, I swear. If it had been me, I'd not have reported it until the money came.

If they just stop sending his unemployment checks now, we're going to be in a heap of trouble fast.........I'm so sick of dealing with the govt. ugh

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
It's a terrible situation, that's for sure. Hugs to you, Lisa.

Have you considered looking for work yourself? Because of your schooling, perhaps your skills are more employable right now than his? It wouldn't have to be long term but it might help during this interim period while he's still looking.

Suz

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Under normal conditions, my education and work experience would pay off big. Except I've been in close contact with my classmates from school who graduated with me as well as other people I went to school with all this time.

There are no jobs in the area for LPNs that aren't over maybe 10 hrs a wk tops.....and it's getting smaller all the time. LPNs are getting bumped out of jobs by the RNs graduating from the college who can't land jobs in the hospitals because they're only wanting experienced nurses. So that kills that idea. Many LPNs who are desperate have started working as aides, which is of course bumping aides out of their jobs.......

And actually I am "working". I'm just waiting on easy child to go back to work. I'm watching the boys full time which actually pays more than if I went to work as an LPN. easy child is not lavishing money on me, it's the going rate for sitters and what she paid her last sitter. And in her opinion, having family watch the boys is a major benefit to them plus she knows I'll always be there and I'll watch them sick or well. It's not easy work in a way.......I'm not 20 anymore.......but the boys and I developed a routine when I was watching them while easy child was recovering and we were doing well together. But she won't be going back to work until at least mid sept. It's a win/win for easy child because she has dependable childcare with someone she trusts completely, and I have a reliable job that pays well....and neither of us will likely wind up being laid off as they'll always need intensive care nurses.

keista

Magical things happen ALL the time.

My neighbor's unemployment had run out, and he was actively job hunting the whole time. The latest lead he had required a resume, so I helped him put one together. We emailed it, and the very next day, his old employer called and gave him a weekend job. YAY! Before that job was over, he was back full time, and within 3 weeks he was getting promoted!

Don't give up! The next great job may be right around the corner.

DammitJanet

With your husband I seriously doubt he is going to get much of a job at his age and all...unless...have you considered Walmart as the greeter? That is the one position that they seem to religiously hire elderly and retired people for all the time. The biggest issue though would be his Aspie issues. You would seriously have to work with him on how to be friendly and sociable to people.

Even with those issues, I think I would have him put in applications for that position at least once every two weeks.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
You would seriously have to work with him on how to be friendly and sociable to people.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Oh, yeah. Been working on that for almost 30 yrs. Until he gets his trazadone back, there is little hope. But once we get the retirement money, he's going to the darn doctor and getting it back.......otherwise I'm going to kill him. lol

His age is the major issue working against him and our walmart is iffy on even hiring new folks for xmas this year. But I'm watching and waiting.......and have enough insiders if they do his fanny will be there so fast his head will spin. But honestly, he's even been trying in those areas with no results. :(

DammitJanet

Well I said you would have to try!

I know walmart can be a pain. Billy would be excellent working there, especially in their electronics department but back when he was applying so hard, anywhere there because they actually can be a really good company to work for but he applied over and over and never even got a call back. Cory applied and was called in for an interview the first time he applied! Of course once they got a hold of his background check he didnt get the job. But Billy would be so loyal it isnt funny, just look at how he has worked for Radio Shack and they have used and abused him! Did you know that now that he has switched back to another store and isnt being used as the temporary manager without manager powers, they have put his pay back down to minimum wage! He had actually gotten two raises before that move to the other store when the whole temporary manager debacle went down even though they werent huge raises but now they have taken away his raises. I would be livid and would have quit to be honest. He isnt working full time anymore either...Im betting that is going to effect his benefits. Of course, we have such high unemployment, he is pretty much stuck.