unshelled nuts

peg2

Hi,
When I was young(many years ago!!!) my mom used to buy an assortment of uncracked nuts and I loved cracking and eating them. I am looking for them now but 2 grocery stores I looked in don't have the assortment. Any ideas where I can get them, I read somewhere that Walmart sells them?
Thanks

helpangel

The only time our grocery stores here have them is in the fall for Thanksgiving & Christmas, surprising though would think they would be available in the baking isle year round.

Nancy

DDD

Ditto, Nancy! We had unshelled nut crackers (with an attached cracker, lol) for the holiday months. I clearly remember how each of my siblings had a favorite, lol. Those combinations are only available around the holidays. You brought back a wonderful memory. :)_ DDD

jal

My Mom too! . Holidays in a wooden bowl with nut crackers on the living room coffee table. She still does it for thanksgiving and Xmas.

KTMom91

My Nana used to buy huge bags of walnuts, then park the grands on the floor of the back porch with small hammers to shell the walnuts for her baking. I haven't seen bags like that in probably 30 years.

susiestar

Roll With It
Around here they are not hard to find. Of course they are around at the holidays, usually in big bulk bins at the store. Sometimes they are all mixed, but often they are sorted. You just take as many of each kind and bag them and mix them at home. Around here they are in the produce section that way in all our stores. At least one store has them in the shells in the produce section at any time. You can always ask the manager or produce mgr to help. They will be able to tell you when they have them and where to get them. We are a BIG nut area partly because pecan trees are considered weeds in many parts of our state unless they are full grown. They were a PITA in the yard growing up because they popped up everywhere because of our trees. My folks have several of them. They are all over the parks and we often see people out picking them up in pecan season.

peg2

I ordered 5 pounds of unshelled mixed nuts from Nuts.com. People only had great things to say about them. I expect them to arrive Tuesday, will let everyone know how they are, but I expect great things!!!!!!!!
Thanks

DDD

Glad you found them and hope they meet your expectations. husband buys bags of shelled Brazil nuts for me this year since I'm trying to eat healthy and they are a great source of Selenium. But, lol, when I grab a few for a snack I vividly remember having to take the nut cracker to my Daddy because those shells were a son of a gun to crack. I spent hours on the porch as a kid cracking pecans. My older siblings insisted that they had to use the pick and make sure ALL the shell was gone. Sigh! Why? Well....umm....ONE year (and only one year) there was shell on the pecans on top of the TDay pie. LOL, yep I got blamed. DDD