Unusual Physical Symptoms

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
If I recall correctly there was a post (not sure which section) on unusual stretch marks being one symptom of a connective tissue disease. But I can't find it, so I thought I'd post on it and see if anyone else recalls it.

The reason is that Nichole has symptoms that taken individually don't seem like much, but added together and viewed as a whole are a bit disturbing.

1. Nichole has been a bit chunky after the baby's birth. Not chunky enough to account for her puffy rounded face and neck that appears swollen. (neck symptom can sometimes improve)

2. She did gain weight with the preg. So we naturally thought all of the stretch marks she has were attributed to that. However what we didn't know was that those stretch marks are still forming although Nichole hasn't been gaining weight, and has even lost pounds. These stretch marks are all over her body including her legs which never even increased in size.

3. She has hyper extension of all of her joints. I know cuz we just tested her using the Beighton chart. She scored a 10 out of 10. Nichole is able to dislocate her shoulders, elbows, hips, and knees at will. Also suffers from unwanted dislocation.

4. Nichole has been complaining of pain in her upper right quadrant for months. (upper part of abdomen)

5. She bruises easily. Wounds are slow to heal. Skin is stretchy.

6. She's tired alot.

Now I've done some searches on these and I'm coming up with Cushing's Syndrome, Marfan Syndrome, and Vascular Ehlers-Danlos. Her symptoms match up pretty well to the Cushings....Then I can add in the severe irratibility and depression, plus the anxiety. And also the Marfan Syndrome.

I'm wondering if there are other diseases disorders I can see if her symptoms match. easy child is worried, which of course has gotten me back to worrying.

We tried to get her checked out for hypothyroidism and the Cushings a few months back. Because of the welfare insur all she got was a nurse practicioner who didn't seem to know squat. Gave her all sorts of excuses and didn't check her for anything. She's made another appoint for next tues, and it's with that stupid NP again so I'm going in with her this time.

Any insights suggestions would be very welcome.

witzend

With the hyperextension of joints, you might want to look into a Muscular Dystrophy clinic in your region. There are over 40 different types of muscular dystrophy. You can check out their site at MDA

busywend

I know stretch marks can appear more severe with weight loss, but not sure they ever appear for the first time due to weight loss.

I will have to look into the other disorders myself.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Thanks Witz. As soon as my internet speeds up a bit (slow due to time of day) I'll go take a look. But isn't a big symptom of muscular dystrophy a wasting of the muscles? She doesn't have any signs of that.

Busy, this poor girl has stretch marks down to her elbows and ankles!

Oh, I forgot another big symptom...

7. Severe muscle cramping and spasms

bby31288

Daisy, my easy child 1 was tested for Cushings last year. Her cortisol level was off the charts, but after a 24 hour urine, that was negative. We have been battling the fatigue, weight gain, hair loss for a year now. We just went to a new doctor and had a bunch of blood work done on Monday. Hoping to find something out. The cushings has something called a Moon face (which i believe is the swollen/puffy face) my easy child has. She doesnot have the fat on the back of the neck. I would be interested in finding out what Nichole has...good luck, keep us posted.

_________
Beth

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
BBK

I know you can have stretch marks after a preg. (I got some darn awful ones) But did you get them without having gained weight, and or losing weight?? Or on parts of your body that never changed in size?

I swear it's the weirdest thing. They seem to be spreading. I was the first to notice when Nichole went from winter wear to spring/summer wear. She shrugged it off as being from the preg. But over the summer we've watched them travel down her arms and legs.

Oh, guess I should add. Before preg Nichole weighed in at 95 lbs. At the end of preg she weighed in at 110 lbs. The bc shot took her up to 135 lbs. So we're not talking a mass amt of weight here. At present she weighs I think 125-130 because the bc shot took her up to 135, and she's been losing weight since she stopped the bc shot last month.

And we're still spotting new marks.

witzend

Thanks Witz. As soon as my internet speeds up a bit (slow due to time of day) I'll go take a look. But isn't a big symptom of muscular dystrophy a wasting of the muscles? She doesn't have any signs of that.

Busy, this poor girl has stretch marks down to her elbows and ankles!

Oh, I forgot another big symptom...

7. Severe muscle cramping and spasms

Wasting is a symptom, but depending upon the type of MD, it can happen in months (usually the types that they call "juvenile onset") or decades. In the latter type, the disease may not show up until a person is in their 20's or 30's, and an earlier symptom is elongated tendons in the major joints.

Severe muscle cramping and spasms (do the large muscles in the upper arms and/or thighs and/or calves "twitch" {fasciculation} involuntarily so that you can see them under the skin?) can be a sign of weakened muscles being over-used. My muscles around my rib cage also twitch if I over-do,

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
do the large muscles in the upper arms and/or thighs and/or calves "twitch" {fasciculation} involuntarily so that you can see them under the skin?)

All the time, and quite painfully I might add. I've seen it hit as she's walking across the floor and it'll bring her down.

I've been trying to get her to eat more fruits and veggies, plus take a multivitamin. Doesn't seem to be helping though.

SnowAngel

My niece kept seeing a PA for almost 9 months for a really bad odor. My grandma got fed up and went with her to the dr appointment. She requested to the nurse that she wanted the Dr not the PA. The Dr came in started checking out my 3yr old niece and then left the room. He came back in with the PA and told him to check her nose. My niece had a foam hair roller rotting in her nose.

I believe you can ask at your appointment to see the Dr, after all it is their license on the line if the PA screws up.

Is she getting enough potassium? That is something I suffered from after the birth of my baby, however it only pertains to the cramps.

Good luck & please keep us posted.