Update #1 - Pregnancy scare...

Marguerite

Sorry to hear about the results. The reason they always said to use first AM sample was because that's when it's at its most concentrated, a test at other times can give you a false negative. If you test too early you can get a false negative because the hormone levels are too low; that's why if you suspect pregnancy you do a second test. But generally positive means positive. Sorry. Modern tests are far more sensitive than they used to be.

Does the test come with its own test tube thingie for collecting the sample, or is it one you run through the stream? Because you CAN get a false positive if you used a bottle for the sample that may be contaminated with detergent, for example. But from what I know of modern tests, I think they've got that covered these days.

The frequency urinating - it could be early pregnancy (unlikely) or it could be another bladder infection. It's not uncommon for some women to get a bladder infection within 36-48 hours of having sex (protected or otherwise). The prevention trick is to empty the bladder within 15 minutes of having had sex. I know it can kill the moment, but having a nasty bladder infection can cramp your style a lot, too.

And while you're actually fighting a bladder infection coffee is OK, it helps keep the bladder flushed. Alcohol should be avoided, though, if bladder infections keep recurring. And as you already said, she needs to keep herself well hydrated. Alcohol is far worse than caffeinated drinks, in causing dehydration problems.

Another trick for chronic bladder infections (if she can take control of her own health) - and you can do this while pregnant - you take urinary alkaliners every day for two weeks, then for the next two weeks you take Vitamin C every day. Then back to the alkaliners for two weeks, then back to the Vitamin C for two weeks, etc. Over time, any bugs still in the bladder simply can't cope with the periodic change in pH. And also, taking cranberry on a regular basis is a good preventive. But you have to take it every day, not just when you have an infection.

And if infections keep recurring, it needs to be investigated in case there is some abnormality in the shape of things which needs to be dealt with. It's also a way of making sure the kidneys haven't been affected. Getting on top of a bladder infection fast is the best way to keep kidneys healthy.

I had a rule in place for my girls when they became sexually active - if you want to have sex, it's your choice, but being sexually active means you have to be sexually responsible. This means looking after your sexual health, and your partner's (in so far as it impacts on you). If you examine your partner and notice a sore or discharge, tell him and maybe go read a book instead, at least until he gets the all-clear from the doctor. And any young man who is so desperate for sex that he will put his girl's health at risk - throw him out. That is not a good sign for a healthy long-term relationship.
A girl should have regular Pap smears, breast checks and be taking precautions (because it's not the GUY who gets pregnant, they often are far less careful about precautions). And part of looking after herself includes bladder health. A guy needs to check his scrotum (or get his girl to do it) because this is a prime age for testicular cancer and too many boys are completely ignorant of this.
Both should keep themselves clean and well-groomed - this also minimises infection. And it's the socially responsible thing to do. easy child 2/difficult child 2's exBF apparently was not too careful about cleanliness and hygiene and yet still expected her to be enthusiastic about oral sex. He'd not had anyone to teach him how to look after himself and would take any criticism (or lack of enthusiasm on her part) as a personal insult. Definitely not healthy. That's one reason why he's ex.

I wonder if this will change her views about living away from you?

Marg

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Wow, Marg, thanks for all the info on bladder infections! Haha - I have gone over all that important information with both my girls also. Unfortunately, I can't be there "in the moment" to remind them to pee so they don't get a bladder infection...lol...that would be awkward, no? I have to hope that they remember and do so - its all we can do isn't it? Give them the information and hope that they not only remember it but also put it into practice?

It's been so long since I've had to take a pregnancy test, so between here and a close friend of mind, I know just how sensitive they are. I remember the earlier EPT that I took when I found out I was pregnant with easy child. I was supposed to wait until morning pee only, but I did it right away at 5PM. I had to pee in a cup, play scientist with some test tubes, do a little shaking to mix up the chemicals and then put it in a stand that had a mirror at the bottom which would show my result...a dark circle. It said to wait 45 minutes! Within 5 minutes the circle showed up! Well, I'll be! lol.

Science has come so far in so many ways, why would I expect that this would be any different?

Well, I'm off. ttyl. Have a nice day.

I'm glad you scheduled the appointment with Planned Parenthood. Your difficult child is very lucky to have you. I also believe that every woman has the right to decide what is best for her when it comes to an unwanted pregnancy. I'm going to PM you. WFEN

jbrain

Hi Jo,
just sending my concern and sympathy--just read this thread. I'll be thinking of you and your dtr.

When I was pregnant the first time I thought I had a bladder infection because I had to keep peeing--lo and behold I was pregnant, no infection.

Take care, Jo,
Jane