Update from Penta

J

jinger

I check in once and awhile and after reading Nancy's recent post, I wanted to give an update on my girl. As some of you might remember, she spent 18 months at Residential Treatment Center (RTC) as a young teen due to self destructive behavior, ODD and threats to me, her grandmother. Her life from age 12 to 16 was very rocky...touch and go. When she returned home from Residential Treatment Center (RTC), it was only a few months later that we lost everything to Hurricane Katrina and spent a year living in another state. After that we moved to Austin to be near my son and his wife. My girl is now an independent young woman, a senior in college with a 3.2 GPA, a part time job as a server, and an apartment of her own. She has attended college on financial aid, grants and scholarships with no assistance from me and spent 2 summers studying abroad too. And she has done all this, in spite of her learning disability, dyslexia.

I am extremely grateful for her life now and how far she has come. Don't ever give up hope, no matter what the circumstances. The final outcome is unknown, as long as a person is alive.

Nancy

I am so thrilled for you and for your granddaughter. What an uplifting story and it does prove that good things can happen for our difficult child's if they are willing to put the work in. Thank you for checking in and especially for your support.

Nancy

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
What a absolutely wonderful update Penta!

And it's great to see you here. :)

Hound dog aka Daisylover aka TMom (don't know which username you'd remember lol )

((hugs))

DDD

Thank you for the full update, Penta. I will never forget your daughter and especially I'll never forget how fearful many of us were when Katrina was coming your way and you hesitated to leave NO. Oh my goodness, I couldn't get you off my mind until you posted safely from another area. Whew.

Awesome news about your daughter's progress. I'm so happy for you both. Hugs DDD

Fran

Former desparate mom
Wonderful news to hear. Love that she has had the initiative and drive to get her education and even able to see the need for understanding the world by going abroad. It's wonderful to know that you are well and I'm still sad that you lost your daughter but you are an amazing grandmother.
PS: I still use the soup recipe that you once posted. It's my in laws favorite.

S

Signorina

Hi Penta. I am new here, but I LOVE to ready a happy ever after! Thanks for the renewed hope! So nice to "meet" you!

rejectedmom

Hello Penta! I do remember you and your girl. I am so glad she got over her difficulties and is doing so well. gosh I love a success story! -RM

tiredmommy

{{{Penta}}} You've been missed here! I've thought of you and your girl often over the last few years and I'm thankful you have such a positive update :)

trinityroyal

Penta, it's wonderful to "see" you again. And I'm so happy that it's with good news. Glad to hear that your granddaughter is on the right path.
Many hugs,
Trinity