UPDATE...My lil sis has multiple pulmonary emboli in her lungs---NOT

trinityroyal

Keeping your sis in my prayers Loth.

I have no idea whether this has any merit, but if the docs haven't put your sister on anticoagulants, can she take aspirin as a temporary measure?
A quick google search suggests that the only contra-indication for aspirin with pulmonary emboli is that docs usually have you on other anti-coagulants and they don't want to risk a hemorrhage. However, if she's not on anything else, then that risk doesn't seem to be in place and it might keep things at bay.

Lothlorien

Thanks Trinity. She's also allergic to aspirin. She has mitral valve prolapse, severely hypoglycemic, allergic to nuts, seafood and penicillin. She's a mess.

trinityroyal

Oooh. Not a good solution then. I will keep praying, and add a prayer that the docs get over their recto-cranial inversion so that they can give your sis the proper treatments for the condition.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Gentle hugs, sweetie, for you and her and family.

I don't know what might cause this, but reading about the lack of care just makes me mad, too. I'm praying and pretzeling for her.

DammitJanet

Loth this is just unreal. No way she should have gone home. Also CT isnt how they are picked up. I had a echocardiogram. I think. It was a special test that I have never had and I have had dozens of CT scans. Now remember I was extremely lethargic from the PE and the DVT at this time so I was down to about a 82 O2 level and my memory is a bit iffy about all this anyway. I actually couldnt even stand up by this time or think clearly. Thats how they figured out something was wrong with me. They were pushing me in PT and Occupational Therapist (OT) and I was trying but I went what the called 'limp noodle" on them and simply couldnt function. At first they thought I didnt want to try but it became clear that I couldnt understand or follow directions or even move.

They should never have sent her home to try to drive because she could become so disoriented that she wouldnt even be able to tell where she is and not be able to make it to the side of the road. Without being on any blood thinner she could throw a clot or clots straight into either her heart, lungs or brain. My GP is actually ticked off that they didnt send me to a hematologist after they took me off warfarin to make sure I didnt need to be on something for life because of my sedentary lifestyle. I actually think I may have had a PE during my latest bout of bronchitis because of the severe pain in my chest. I am still having pain and severe lethargy.

Lothlorien

Well, the good news is the nurse called and told her that they did get someone to read the CT scan today. The scan is negative for clots, but doctor wanted to speak with her and nurse couldn't say any more. Thank God it's not clots. They probably have to wait for bloodwork to come back.

You are right Janet. If they suspected clots like they told her yesterday, they should have done way more than send her home.

On a side note, my sister in law has a brother who is mentally impaired. He has medical insurance. He went into the ER a few weeks ago with severe abdominal pain. She was told it was appendicitis. They told her they were not going to perform surgery. She said they said something to the effect that it was not a common practice in most countries now. (WHAT???)) It exploded the next morning and he almost died in the hospital. This was a local hospital that is supposedly very good. I don't know the entire story, but it seems criminal that they did not do the surgery on him that night when they absolutely knew what it was.

witzend

A CT scan isn't the definitive test for pulmonary embolism. A CTPA is the definitive test. If they didn't shove a contrasting dye through her lungs, she still doesn't know if she has a PE.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Witz nailed it. She needs to demand a CTPA. I certainly would NOT want to walk around wondering if I have a PE or not. Oh, heck no!

Don't get me started on some ER personnel, especially PA's...............

Lothlorien

They did the contrast. It may have been a CTPA, I don't know. She just said a CT scan.

doctor still hasn't called her back. So frustrating.

DammitJanet

That may have been what i had done. It was done with dye and it was a smaller machine and I could watch my heart on a small screen the looked like a black and white tv.

Loth,

It infuriates me when I hear about irresponsible, incompetent care in ERs, hospitals, etc!! A week prior to my husband's heart attack, he had a really bad cold, trouble breathing, and a nonstop cough. He is one of those persons who doesn't go to the doctor unless he believes it is an extreme emergency. His doctor wasn't available so he got an appointment with one of the NPs. She told him he had bronchitis, gave him an inhaler, some antibiotics and sent him home. One week later he had a major heart attack.

Getting here late but saying prayers that they did the right test, your sister doesn't have any clots, and is on her way to a speedy recovery. Hugs... SFR

Lothlorien

Okay, so today she called doctor. Can you believe he never called her? Today, he tells her that everything is fine. So what the heck were the spots on the xrays? She loaded the disc and there are spots. He has no idea what they are. She's still in some pain. She can breathe okay now. Holy ****! Really?? That's it? I don't want her to get all crazy again, but if she had insurance, she'd be going to a pulmonologist.

So, even if it's nothing, they've scared the living daylights out of us all.

Well, maybe it was just the prayers and powers of the board and my church....I'm just glad it's not more serious. Thanks for all the prayers!

buddy

So glad she is ok. I guess all she can do is be super vigilant and if she feels any breathing issues go back in...or is there a different hospital? Just in case...

Hope the pain stops soon!

Loth,
Wow, that is ridiculous treatment! I'm so ticked off for you and your sister.

If it isn't a pulmonary embolism could it be pleurisy? I had it when I was 12 and only had a small case and it was incredibly painful and hard to breathe. Not sure that would go away on its own though.

I sure hope she finds out soon what is going on. Maybe a second opinion is in order - and soon.

DammitJanet

Loth, tell her to go to a bigger hospital in a different city. She can find her way there somehow. I had sub par care in one hospital for one thing at one hospital that almost caused Tony and I to fight over one or the other of us cheating on the other and it ended up with me having a kidney infection when I went to a better hospital.

witzend

Loth, I promise you - if she had a PE she wouldn't be feeling ok today. There are more pain receptors in your lungs than any other part of your body. A PE feels as though someone has stabbed you in the lung and left the knife in you.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Next time, big city hospital with a good rep.

I dunno what I'm going to do the next time I need the ER. Both our local country hospitals have basically gone to heck. Nearest city is an hour drive. ugh

lovemysons

Dear Loth,
So sorry for the scare but am so pleased to read that it's not more serious.

Thinking of you and your sis,
LMS

Lothlorien

Still not sure what it was. I told her that if she continued to have pain to make an appointment with a pulmonogist and take all the films with her. She sent me a copy of the one xray and there are white spots on the lungs. It's bizzare. She is still very uncomfortable, but the pain medications are taking the edge off.