Update on all of us

witzend

I've been taking a board break for a while, and I wanted to let you know how we have been doing. Pretty well, actually.

Christmas here saw snow like we haven't had in 40 years, so it was easy to not go shopping or go overboard or break any Wise Men. Well, the Wise Men I couldn't break because I had given the other two away, but that's beside the point. ;) (No temper tantrums.) Since we rarely get snow, they only plow the main roads. So, 18 inches of snow with 1 inch of ice plus 8 more inches of snow tends to give everyone an excuse to not go overboard for Christmas. L did a little Christmas morning thing at her house, we stayed for about an hour or so (M too) and went home before it started snowing too hard again.

M lost his job sometime after Thanksgiving and sometime before Christmas. L knew about it, which explained her sudden interest in gleefully talking to me again and wanting to go use the massage gift certificate I gave her last Christmas. I didn't go. M told his dad once I finally hounded him into calling M. I never mentioned it to L, although she knows we know now. She also has decided that she doesn't need to spend an hour getting a massage or spend any time with with me. I've encouraged him to apply for unemployment while he looks for a new job. I don't think he is doing that, but I am leaving it up to his dad to deal with. He will, or he won't.

My boss has been borrowing money to meet payroll for the past three months. He asks for advice (lose the employee who makes the most and is sick all of the time) and doesn't take it. Then he won't follow up on quotes for jobs because he is too busy worrying about how to make payroll. Um, make money? So, I have been looking for jobs on Craigslist and will post an ad this week that I am looking for work. It's pretty tough because really I only have the energy to work 6 - 8 hours a week. It really only pays the lease on my SUV and my cell phone.

My lease runs out in August, and a new lightrail line from home to husband's work is installed in September. His work gives free passes to the lightrail, and the stop near our home is a seven minute busride away. We are seriously thinking about becoming a one-car (the one we already own) family. I have mentioned it to husband before and gotten some grimaces, but last night I explained the numbers, and it really piqued his interest. If you figure the car payment, gas, insurance, and parking we will save about $700 out of pocket a month. That's the same as a $8,400 after tax raise a year. That made him sit up and notice!

I hope you are all doing well. I have been keeping up a little. I am staying busy with other things and will check in from time to time to update, or to offer my point of view when I feel I have something different or fresh to offer.

everywoman

Good to see you Witz. You sound good, even with all the stuff going on. Looks like detachment is working.....L, well, she'll come back around again....don't you know, they always come back.

witzend

Yes, L will come around again. Hopefully her dad was serious that he was going to cut her off (no more $700/mo allowance, no more health insurance, no more auto insurance, no more cell phone, no more car payment, etc.) on her 26th birthday, and I know we will hear more from her then. Not that it's going to change anything we have to offer her, but I know we'll hear more from her! ;) Too bad she doesn't go for some therapy before he cuts her off. She's still a very angry, very spoiled little girl.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Wisemen - unless bearing true gifts are over rated. And .....as I said before camels spit and sheep are stupit.

Soooooo who got the donkey in YER manger? lol

Sorry about the job - you work SO hard and do such a good job. NOTHING at work will chap my flanders as quick as "Well what would you do? Why? Really? WOW!" and then - they do the opposite. I swear sometimes I want to give really carpy advice just to see if after hearing BAD advice they would do what I would have told them to do in the first place....as in "Oh that was MY idea." and had a brainfluf moment.

UGH.

Stella Johnson

Good to hear from you Witz!
Sorry to hear about your job. That really stinks with the economy right now. I would love to use a lightrail if there was one around her. There is in Dallas but it's worthless for me where I live and work.

good to see you again!

Steph

PonyGirl

Warrior Parent
Nice to see you Witz! Thanks for the update. Peace On Earth, Goodwill to All Men... Love the Wise Men reference!

Peace (yes, again!)

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
HI Witz! Nice update - too bad about your job, but it sounds like you've got some great money saving ideas falling into place. Good for you!

You did real well over the holidays with L and M - also good for you!

meowbunny

Glad you're at least semi-back. You've been sorely missed.

Here's hoping your owner can figure out that he won't make any payroll if he doesn't start taking the jobs. Hope you can find something in the meantime. Good idea about the SUV. Amazing that some people have to see the figures in black and white to understand how much they can save.

Sorry to hear that M lost his job. Hope it wasn't something he did. As to L, no comment.

I'm impressed how well you sound given all the stressors you're under right now. Major hugs!

katya02

Solace
Hey, Witz. Thanks for the update. Sorry your boss hasn't figured out that the best way to make payroll is to make money. All the best with the job search.