update on difficult child

Fran

Former desparate mom
To avoid the board curse, I won't say that difficult child is doing well and seems to be settling into his new environment.
So far, he is being attentive to his lessons. Many of the other clients/students seem to be bonding with difficult child.
His apartment is clean and well cared for and he seems to be doing better than when he was on his own before.
The program seems to be getting a healthy amount of good publicity and hopeful they will grow into a campus where difficult child could live and work.
He isn't complaining or whining or demanding. I think he is happy with his move.
Hope springs eternal for warrior moms.

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
I adore your difficult child (easy child, too) so this warms my heart! I'm so proud of him I could burst!

:bravo:

Suz

Fran

Former desparate mom
Thanks Susie. It's nice to see some progress. Sometimes I get sad that he is surprised that he is doing well and everyone is giving him praise.
Valerie, the program is new and innovative. I'll send you the link. It is hopeful.

DammitJanet

Sounds like positive steps forward. There are times I wish Billy was either a touch worse or tons better because he seems stuck in a place where he is just getting by. I dont know that he can actually make more than he is making now and I dont see how he can live on that or support a family. I really think I need to talk to him about applying for Section 8 housing so its income based. Maybe that will be the way to get him on his own. He would pay his bills but he simply doesnt make enough to pay for normal rent, car expenses, power, food, etc.

Nancy

That is wonderful news Fran. He should be proud of himself, he has accomplished quite a lot. I'm thrilled for all of you.

Nancy

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I understand about the board curse. lol But I'm so proud of difficult child I'm just beaming from ear to ear.:yes::bigsmile:

I hope he continues to do well and enjoy it there.

hugs

Fran

Former desparate mom
He accidently put dishwashing soap in the dishwasher. LOL. In the end, I told him to hop on line and do the "ask.com" and figure it out. It's what I do. I think he learned a valuable lesson. It was a big mess. Of course, he said he didn't have money to buy oil. I reminded him of the emergency jar of change he keeps. I do believe he was unhappy to use "his" money to repair a problem. Can you see me laughing? :rofl:

I am happy to hear that he put dirty dishes in the dishwasher and was running it. That's a big improvement.

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Fran, the night before the first time my former inlaws came to visit I needed to run the dishwasher and didn't have any dishwasher soap.

You can guess the rest.

Hey, it was only a drop or two.........................but it sure made a huge mess!

Tell difficult child, I can relate. I had a very clean floor afterwards then.........and he will have a very clean floor now. :bigsmile:

Suz

N

Nomad

Always GOOD to hear positive news!!!! Awesome!!!!! Sending gooooooooood thoughts.

donna723

That's wonderful news, Fran! It sounds like he's really making progress, and maybe even surprising himself a little bit!

And for the record, I don't think this kind of thing ever really stops. My son decided to try frying chicken for the first time tonight. He was on the phone with me while he was in the grocery store, then as soon as he got home I started getting emails about how much oil should he use and when should he add the salt and pepper!

tawnya

I've done the dishwashing liquid in the dishwasher ONCE before, too. It's amazing what one or two drops will do in the dishwasher, but not in the sink!

Live and learn, difficult child! (or tawnya and Suz).

I'm so glad he is making progress, Fran.

Fran

Former desparate mom
Thanks. I know some of you know the 2 steps forward and 1 step back life of a person with AS.
Donna, I may have to call you if I fried chicken. I have never done it. LOL.
I don't mind if he calls and asks questions as long as he doesn't get cranky when I don't have the answer. I keep nudging him to find the answers on line. Hopefully the dishwasher was an eye opener.
It's always an adventure.

busywend

Fran, I am so happy for you & your difficult child! Things sound great in this new place.

husband did the dishwasher thing a year or so ago - and he is 50 now! So, I guess some people just need that lesson the hard way!

L

Lourdes

That's really great to hear, Fran.

(I'm a blast from the past. I knew you in Texas. I think my old user name was Daisy and then I had a name before that - my real name, so I don't want to say it.)

Fran

Former desparate mom
Hi Lourdes, nice to see you.
Wend, I don't think the dishwasher thing is a big deal. He just has to learn how to problem solve.