update on difficult child

musiclady

hi all,
i am fairly new to the site. I did write a post about what was going on with us a while back and want to post an update. We saw the pediatrician 2 weeks ago, who wants my difficult child assessed for aspergers syndrome and giftedness. The psychiatric she refered us too never got back to us. Her mobile number wouldn't work, and after several cllls to the office was told the only way to contact this psychiatric was by email. I thought this was unacceptable, so I have found a fifferent psychiatric, and gone and got a referal from my gp. Things are a little beter, although we seem to have cycles of good days and bad; I'm trying to work out the twiggers.

idohope

Glad to hear that things are a little better. Good for you :bravo: on your persistence in pursuing the pysch referral. I also would not work with someone that I had to contact via email for an initial appointment and that it could not be done via the office. It is often very challenging to identify the right person and to be able to get an appointment in a timely manner.

Is the pysch a pyschologist or a neuropyschologist? Do you know if they have experience with autism spectrum and diagnosing? or are you seeking this individual for regular therapy with your difficult child?

A signature would help us recall the details of your situation so it would be great if you could add one.

musiclady

yes, he deals with Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD). i checked all that before I hired him. We were seeing a behavioural psychologist but frankly she just didn't fit well. Thanks for the support.

buddy

Glad you found someone who is familiar with Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) if you are thinking Asperger's. Yeah, behavioral psychs just dont do as well when it comes to kids who are differently wired. rewards and consequences work if a child has the skills they need and are simply choosing or needing motivation to do better, not generally super helpful if they just make a child want to do better but the child has no clue what to do or they sometimes do know, but their brain chemistry or structure makes it so they dont have access to good impulse control or good judgement or are chemically not in balance so have moods that interfere....etc. For some kids they just dont care about rewards and consequences. My son will promise to do the right thing, will want the rewards and then fall apart because he is unable to do differently. He then will just rip up behavior charts or fall apart. I know this is not everyone's opinion but for us it is truth.