Update on Everywoman

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by gcvmom, Feb 2, 2011.

1. gcvmom

gcvmom Here we go again!

She posted that her neck surgery is scheduled for Saturday. She's in a lot of pain :( Apparently there's a new development in that an MRI found an abnormality in her parotid gland (cheek) and she's waiting for more info from the doctor.

Keep those prayers coming!

2. Star*

Star* call 911........call 911

I can not imagine the pain you are in kiddo. You know you are in my prayers for a speedy recovery without pain. Take care of you - heal well!

Love and hugs
    Star

3. HaoZi

HaoZi Guest

Hope all goes well and wish you a speedy and full recovery!

4. trinityroyal

trinityroyal Well-Known Member

Saying prayers for a successful surgery, and quick, painless healing. You're in my thoughts EW. Please look after yourself.

5. Hound dog

Hound dog Nana's are Beautiful

Saying prayers and you've not left my thoughts. Hoping for a speedy, and less painful recovery.

(((hugs)))

6. DDD

DDD Well-Known Member

Sending caring thoughts and wishes your way. I hope it is a piece of cake...or at least a slice of a delightful cookie. Hugs. DDD

7. mstang67chic

mstang67chic Going Green

Good juju and prayers headed her way!!!

8. gcvmom

gcvmom Here we go again!

Here's a bit more from her today:

9. everywoman

everywoman Active Member

Awe Ladies---Ya'll are so great. I'm in a lot of pain. And can't type very well, but I wanted to thank ya'll for the prayers and good thoughts. I didn't see this coming. I knew I had some problems with my neck, but I had no idea I was so close to losing the use of my arms and hands permantly. At this point, from what I have learned, they may never be the same. My spinal cord is compressed at C4,5,6,7. I will have a laminoplasty on Sat. Surgeries are usually not done on Sats, but my surgeon is setting up the OR just for me.
    When they did the MRI for my neck, the radiologist noticed a shadow in my jaw. After a second MRI to look at the jaw, I was told that I have a large tumor in that area. Not sure what will happen with the tumor in the jaw. Waiting to see who they bring in.
    Anyway, I feel like I'm falling a part. I'm trying to remain strong. My local friends and you guys giving me support keeps me going from one moment to the next. Please continue with your prayers and good thoughts.

10. HaoZi

HaoZi Guest

11. busywend

busywend Well-Known Member Staff Member

Still praying for you EW! Stay strong and hang in there, they can fix you up in a jiffy!

HUGS!

12. Estherfromjerusalem

Estherfromjerusalem Well-Known Member

Everywoman, prayers going up here in Jerusalem for successful surgery on Saturday. Thank heavens they discovered what it is before your arms and hands were permanently damaged -- I hope it all goes smoothly, and look forward to reading updates afterwards, that you are recovering. Good luck!

Love, Esther

13. DammitJanet

DammitJanet Well-Known Member Staff Member

Oh Kat...I am so worried for you! I am praying so hard that you will be just fine. So so scary.

Big hugs from me and my family.

14. Mom2oddson

Mom2oddson Active Member

Adding my prayers too!

15. Marguerite

Marguerite Active Member

Everywoman, stay strong. Don't worry too much about the parotid tumour - it is not necessarily malignant. There is a kind of non-malignant parotid tumour that can also affect your bones. Whatever it is, it is good that it was found and can be dealt with.

Hugs, honey.

Marg

16. Hound dog

Hound dog Nana's are Beautiful

Still praying hard and holding good thoughts.

I'm glad the found the tumor, although I'm certain you're not glad to have it........but at least you know it's there and it can be delt with. I hope the surgery goes smoothly and helps much! Scary that we can get so used to feeling bad that we've no idea what danger we're living in until something happens to smack us in the face with it.

((((hug))))

17. Marguerite

Marguerite Active Member

Everywoman, you have probably already been given good information by your doctors. But just in case you need it clarified, here is a really useful link on parathyroid disease, especially the tumours that can happen with an over-active parathyroid. It is easily fixed and there may have been a lot of subtle symptoms you had not realised were even an issue. According to this article, once the tumour is removed, you feel better almost immediately and bone density begins to increase within hours. That collapse of your cervical spine could well have been due to the tumour. The site said it's a 15 minute procedure to remove the tumour.

Here is the link:
    http://parathyroid.com/parathyroid-symptoms.htm

You've got some rough stuff ahead with the spinal surgery, but be confident that if/when they take out that tumour, you will feel so much better, and the osteoporosis that led to the cervical spine problems will immediately begin to improve.

Hugs, hon. Find something to keep your mind occupied while you're in recovery.

Marg

18. nvts

nvts Active Member

Rattling beads fervently EW! I've got the kids in on it too for extra help!

Beth

19. everywoman

everywoman Active Member

Thanks ladies---
    Marg, the tumor is not in my parah=thyroid, it is in my parotid---the large salivary gland. It will have to be removed at some point.
    I have surgery in the morning on my neck. It is a rough surgery and will take about 5 hours. From what I understand I have several months of recovery in front of me. I'm hoping to get the feeling back in my arms and hands.
    Anyway, thanks for the good thoughts.

20. Marguerite

Marguerite Active Member

Sorry. I missed that. A pity - it would have explained a lot if it was connected.

I hope you get the feeling back - if it has only been a short time and the problem is primarily due to pressure and/or swelling, function and feeling should improve.

The parotid - sometimes salivary glands get a small stone in them and block the outlet of the gland. The gland then swells up. Hoping that's all it is!

Marg