Update on my mental status- no one has died yet!

DammitJanet

I went for my walk in appointment today with my lovely psychiatrist. I keep this man around because I think most others are just far worse from what I have experienced. He isnt ground-breaking but he does let me pretty much call my own shots and by this stage of the game I figure I probably know as much about psychiatry as the average bear.

I walked in and told him we need to mark my folder in big red letters that I am a definate NO GO for AD's. He asked what happened and I told him I was spinning and cycling so fast I could hardly keep up. I told him there were several periods of time I wanted to kill someone and I wasnt choosey about who it was. He just chuckled at that one, after he asked me if I had actually killed anyone.

I told him I really felt like I was on a ton of too many medications. That the seroquel was causing me massive weight gain. The klonopin wasnt doing a thing for me anymore. I didnt know if anything was really doing anything.

Well....he wasnt willing to take me off much. He said that I have been way too sick for way too long and I am a very very anxiety ridden person. Seroquel is gone. If delusions come back we will deal with them some other way.

I keep lamictal and topamax. He would allow me to get rid of topamax but he cant see why I would want to do so. I keep ambien because at some point I have to sleep. Hopefully. And we traded klonopin for xanaxER 2mg.

I have stopped taking anything from my gp which means no more lorcet, neurontin or zanaflex until I see what the pain doctor says on thursday.

I am in tremendous pain. I cant pick up plates, glasses or even steer the car without my hands killing me. I think my joints in my fingers are swollen. The blankets hurt.

Marguerite

I hope you can get the benefit you need, Janet. That much pain isn't good, either, because I know from experience - chronic severe pain just drags you down and when you can't do anything, what's the point? I get my pain under control and find it a lot easier to deal with the rest.

I like the way the doctor checked just to be sure, that you hadn't actually killed someone... that's a doctor with his head screwed on!

Marg

susiestar

Roll With It
I am glad he listened to you about the seroquel. I hope his plan will help. Xanax can be very helpful and the ER version will likely also be very helpful. Hopefully they will work well for you.

Is this a new pain doctor or one you already see and trust? If it is a new one, I hope he listens and is as understanding as my pain doctor is. And as reasonable. Ask him about the lidoderm patches (lidocaine patches). If the adhesives are a problem see if you can do something to prep your skin for them. They are incredible on my sore knees and on my back. You might also ask about a TENS unit to help with the pain. You might check with your ins co before you see the doctor to see if they will cover the patches and TENS thingy.

PLEASE take it easy until you see the doctor. Make your guys do things for you, wait on you hand and foot like you are the Queen of Everything. I hope you feel better very soon!

busywend

Good job staying on top of this, Janet. I am glad you can talk it through with your psychiatrist - lots to be said for that. difficult children just wrote the rx out and sent us on our way.

I am also glad you are seeing the pain doctor tomorrow. I really hope he can come up with a plan for management quick!

Janet,

I'm glad you saw the psychiatrist. He sounds like he is playing with a "full deck." So sorry you're in so much pain!!! I like Susie's idea - Make everyone pitch in and take care of you!!! Hang in there until tomorrow!!! Hugs... SFR

I'm glad to hear you are going in the right direction. I would guess that getting rid of the seroquel is a HUGE step--and probably a decent idea for you not to come off too much at one time, to help you keep up with what is doing what. FWIW, I've had very good results with the xanax XR.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I hope you can get the pain under control and so glad you got to see your doctor...

Hugs and prayers!

klmno

This sounds hopeful, Janet. I hope the pain dr can give you something that is effective quickly. I am a whimp when it comes to pain. LOL!