Update on my new journey

rlsnights

I was diagnosed with stage 2 breast cancer at age 32. That was 20+ years ago with no recurrence. Other issues (lymphedema, nerve pain) have been troublesome but no cancer. There is plenty of reason for optimism, eh?

My practical bits of advice:

Have someone drive you to and from chemo and radiation every time - no exceptions

Radiation may take more out of you than chemo in several ways:
1. your body is already a mess from surgery and chemo
2. it's usually every day, day in and day out, with no break like you typically get with chemo
3. because it's every day your body doesn't really recover much before it gets whacked again so you end up very, very tired
so don't underestimate your continuing need for help and support once you start radiation

Take the warnings about radiation skin burns seriously and know in advance how to recognize it and what to do about it. Then get whatever supplies you will need for home treatment and keep them on hand. They make these gel "bandages" now especially for burns that are absolutely fantastic. They are the same kind of thing they use in burn units. Stops the pain almost instantly without pain killers. I'd see if you can get a few of those to keep on hand if the radiologist thinks there's a chance you will get a bad burn.

You may not lose all your hair (I didn't) but what you lose may not come back the same. You may be able to minimize loss by cutting your hair short if it's on the long side.

Even if you don't lose much, you are going to want to cover your head with hats/scarves/wigs even when it's fairly warm out. It's amazing how cold your head gets without all it's hair!

Ask the doctor about taking a broad spectrum probiotic with-prebiotic while on chemo. Can really help with some of the intestinal problems.

If you have any anxiety issues lurking you may find that they become seriously inflamed by going through chemo, especially if yours (like mine) requires sitting in a chair for several hours watching the IV, trying to distract yourself while you're loopy on IV benadryl, and knowing that you will be seriously sick before the treatment is finished and for a few days afterwards. If you suspect this might be an issue, find a really good therapist right now and discuss using anti-anxiety medications before and during chemo treatments with your oncologist or psychiatrist if you have/know one. Do not wait for the anxiety attacks to start - be proactive. You will not regret it and if you find it's not an issue after all then you can just skip the medications and have a nice chat with the therapist each week.

You may want to ask about getting Leukine (sargramostim) shots during chemo. This is a drug used to stimulate the acute phase immune system - the part that serves as your first line defense against viruses and bacteria. Requires sub-cutaneous injections in the belly. Not pleasant (hurt like ^*#&! for a while) but may be worth it this winter with H1N1 running around.

Eat well, go dancing whenever possible, rent a convertible and go for a long drive with your sweetie, make love, sculpt or draw or paint or create dolls and sing at the top of your lungs to your favorite music every day.

If possible, find a YWCA water exercise program for survivors of breast cancer (usually called the Encoreplus program) or another local exercise/support program and go a few times. There's nothing quite like comparing scars - literal and figurative - in the dressing room.

Star*

call 911........call 911
I see you're leaning on dependable things:D. You're post was quite inspirational. How is your hubby holding up? I had to chuckle a bit about your line on the hair growing back but the boobs not. Even through all of this - you have a great sense of humor. You're quite a dandy!!

I'm getting misty eyed here Guru so I'm going to go cause no one likes it when the big girl at work cries....but I'm keeping you in my prayers. Chin up. And you just wear that shiny or fuzzy head proudly. I'm very proud to have such a brave friend. :D

Love
Star

Lothlorien

I know you posted about this over in WC. I don't come over here too often, but I'm glad I poked around over here (thanks to Suz's revelation today!) It's good to know that you are doing okay and you have a great oncologist that you feel good about. You will continue to be in my prayers. Sending lots of hugs!

Dear GG,
My bff is getting chemo, and we bought these t-shirts to wear when she gets hers, they say, "NEVER GIVE UP.
ever."

Just think of yourself as a brave warrior, fighting for your life. You are a strong person, and this will make you stronger. It's great that you have the best doctor, that makes such a difference. I'll be thinking about you, Alyssa

On a side note- if your mastectomy site is sore, wear your bra to sleep, the chafing always bothers me, I still wear my bra to sleep. Even though its been 9 years, it's a sensitive area, the bra feels better than any material. I know you won't have nausea too badly, they put the drug right in with the chemo, plus they give you a script to take before you even may get nauseaus. 9 years ago they were 84 bucks a pill, TG for insurance! But worth it.- Alyssa