Update on my step-dad

mstang67chic

Going Green
I just wanted to let you all know that my step-dad went home from the hospital yesterday evening. He hasn't been able to really sit in his chair in months but was doing so last night. All he really wanted, according to Mom, was a "good" cup of coffee and cookies.

He's still in some pain from the surgery and the ulcers in his colon but says he can tell a difference already. I'm assuming it's because the colostomy is working and no waste is passing through the ulcerated section of his colon. (He had liquid morphine to take for breakthrough pain previously and bathroom time was generally when he used it)

Mom called me this morning. She was getting ready to go to the store and then was going to be cooking all sorts of things for Dad. He still has some food restrictions until things heal more but he's looking forward to eating normally. He really hasn't been eating much in the past year because of the natural results which would cause more pain. (This is quite the challenge describing things in a "polite" manner! LOL)

Thank you all again for all of your good thoughts and well wishes. As I had said earlier in the week, I had shown my original post and the replies to Mom while we were at the hospital. She was very touched by all of you doing that for a complete stranger. (And Esther, she figured any prayers or thoughts coming from Jeruselam would be especially helpful! LOL)

Thank you again!

Abbey

Spork Queen
What a painful thing to endure. My sister in law has severe Chron's disease since she was a teen. I think she's lived in the hospital more than at home. About two years ago she went for an experimantal treatment at John Hopkins and now is leading a 'normal' life. I don't know what it was, but I can find out if you want. She's spent the last 30 years in agony and this was the fix.

Glad Dad is doing better.

Abbey

Star*

call 911........call 911
Mustang,

I'm glad to see your dad is able to sit up and drink coffee. I have no doubt that your Mom will spoil him just enough. Ulcers are so painful - I'm glad he's doing well.

Hugs

trinityroyal

Thanks for the update, Mustang.
Glad to hear that your dad is doing so well, and sending prayers for a quick and complete recovery.

Trinity

mstang67chic

Going Green
prayers of healing and prayers for patience for you and your mom

Funny you should say that. *snort* I talked to Mom today....I was supposed to go over yesterday to help with some things. She said to wait till today. Today comes and she put it off for another week. One of the things that needs done is mowing. Apparently, Dad has it in his head that he can check the mower (I was having issues with it last summer) and do at least the first lap on it. (rider) Uh huh......he's going to go hop on the mower 7 DAYS after major surgery. Mom's going to need a LOT of patience.