Update on us

AnnMarieTN

The beginning of the week I was feeling pretty hopeless.

Two weeks ago, my difficult child was at the hospital after writing a note at school about suicide. This past weekend was his visitation with his Dad and evidently they fought/argued the whole weekend. Dad called me to say HE needed a break. Um, excuse me, but there are 30 days in a month and he has 4 days a month with difficult child and HE is the one that needs a break?! :mad:

I'm starting to get a little bit of hope now. Because of his probation and going through the juvenile court system, we now have a DCS (Dept. of Children's Services) Case Worker and a social worker.

The case worker came out to the house yesterday for her first monthly visit. She is authorizing for them to pay for his counseling. We have another resource that is going to provide a psychiatrist for his medications. :angel3:

The case worker mentioned that if in-home services are not successful with difficult child, then he would be put into foster care for services. This was actually a relief for me. I had been afraid if DCS was involved and there became problems, they would take my easy child away from me instead of difficult child.

Whether everything works, I at least feel like things are starting to move in the right direction and difficult child can get the help he needs - whether he is here or living somewhere else.

DDD

Glad to read the update and find that someone is reaching out to help you guys. Fingers crossed. DDD

B

bran155

Seems to be moving in the right direction. I am so glad that DSS is working with you and not against you. That is a huge plus!!! I am sorry that things have come to this but so glad to hear that you have a plan in place!!!

And Dad needs a break!!!!! AARRGGGHHHH!!!! The nerve. Thank God your son has a warrior mom!

Good luck with all that is in front of you. I hope everything works out. :)

p.s. Thanks so much for the support you have given me!

jal

We are using DCF Voluntary services that provide us with intensive in home therapy for difficult child 2x a week and respite if we want it. Our experience has been nothing but positive. Good luck to you.

WSM

provide us with intensive in home therapy for difficult child 2x a week and respite if we want it. Our experience has been nothing but positive.

Do they do family therapy or just in house therapy with difficult child. Our experience with family therapy has always been, 'this is what difficult child wants. If difficult child gets this he will be happier and stop his disruptive behaviors. "

It always turns out to be difficult child and the therapist arguing with us about how mistreated difficult child is. If we give in and restore all privileges and remove all restrictions, chaos and trama breaks out for the rest of the family, and the therapist is shocked and disappears.

I hate family therapy. Because he doesn't have tantums they just don't believe. It always turns into parent bashing with poor little wounded unloved difficult child sitting to one side with tears running down his face.

What is the respite care like? Have you used it? It sounds wonderful.